Hello again old friends.

I was just working on a little something new and I was curious about having some feedback on it. I'm fairly fond of the idea as a whole but I was wondering about its ultimate function if I were ever to record it, so I'm at the point where I could use some feedback on how the song feels, and the flow. My biggest uncertainty is the length, on a macro scale (the whole piece) and the micro scale (each individual section). Of course any criticism is always great!

It's a self contained 2 minute idea; I'm uncertain whether or not I like the structure and the idea as is, which I could then use as maybe an instrumental interlude, or between two so ngs, or if I should elaborate on the idea, and if so, in what direction; Should I add an intro, make the middle parts longer or elaborate on those ideas, add something at the end as a continuation to the song? Let me know what you guys think, and I will, as always C4C anything you want.

Hope you're all doing well!

(edit)

For anyone curious about the meaning of the title;
Sonder - n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own.
Occhiolism - n. the awareness of the smallness of your perspective, by which you couldn’t possibly draw any meaningful conclusions at all, about the world or the past or the complexities of culture, because although your life is an epic and unrepeatable anecdote, it still only has a sample size of one, and may end up being the control for a much wilder experiment happening in the next room.
Attachments:
In Sonder and Occhiolism Working Copy.gp5
Last edited by JazzDeath at Sep 27, 2016,
Still writing the same stuff 5 years later eh

Is the tetris reference in bars 12-13 intended? Kinda threw me off a little, but not necessarily in a bad way. I liked the rhythm change at bar 42, I love those things but this one didn't feel clear enough, I personally would have preferred if you just left it at the change to the triplet feel without immediately destroying it at the end of every bar again. I'd try leaving that triplet feel for 2 bars or so, just enough time for the listener to get caught off guard by that shift, luring him into believing that this is gonna be the new feel, only to be destroyed again a second later. I feel like the 2 changes you make here due to the nature of that drum pattern are a bit too much.

To expand on this, on my first listen I was focussing on the nice soloing over it so the rhythm change caught me off guard, as it's supposed to. But since you already destroy that feel at the end of every bar again, it becomes quite random. I didn't realize that everything in the drums past bar 42 is actually just the same looped bar, for me the whole thing was a tad too complex and if that happens, I get thrown off completely, rhythm feel wise, and basically stop trying to understand it until I finally get back into it again, but that usually doesnt happen until the following section.

Anyway, after many years of not posting, I'll have a new piece coming up shortly, would be nice if you can check it out then. Cheers mate
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Not intentional, I still don't know what you mean by tetris reference ;o.

As for Bar 42 I admit I just finished that section and listening back to it I just realized I made a mistake copy pasting the rhythms on drums and guitars, since I was so focused on trying to write the solo I didn't even notice, that's definitely my bad. It's not supposed to destroy the feel at the end of each bar by accentuating the last triplet and the first at all so I'll reupload that when I figure out where I want the proper rhythm to sit and flow. Thanks for pointing that out!
Quote by JazzDeath
Not intentional, I still don't know what you mean by tetris reference ;o.
now go ahead and tell me this wasnt intentional
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Lol, it really wasn't, even though the rhythm is pretty similar I'm still surprised you were able to make that connection at all, nice catch :P.

I updated the file and changed the rhythm, I don't know if it feels better or not but the solo, drums, bass and rhythm now definitely sync up together in a much more cohesive way.
Wow, the final section of this really feels like a rollercoaster ride in the sense that on my first listen, I was thrown back and forth between losing grip of the rhythm yet catching it again half a second later. It definitely required my full attention and just as I thought I'd lose it, the next couple of notes somehow brought me back in. Really interesting section, would like to know if other people here feel the same way about it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻