Hey all... I'm after some pickups to get a fat and chunky and grunty tone for a new guitar which is an LP style guitar but semi-hollow. I'm looking for a kind of QOTSA "Songs for the Deaf" tone as I play in a stoner rock band where the guitar has to be prominent and chunky as hell. I normally use an Epiphone Sheraton with Gibson 57 classics in it, which gets a great tone for what we do especially when sliding power chords around with some fuzz etc... and I also use an Airline Map with Seymour Duncan P-Rails, which I solely use in the middle position as it gets that fat "plunky" sound with the p90 sides mixed in with the rails. That guitar is great for single note heavy riffs.

Basically, I'm after something kind of in between that fat chunky Gibson 57 Classic tone and the weird clunky plunky tone of a p90... I've looked at some of the GFS pickups like the gold foils, mean 90s, retrotrons, etc but what actually stuck out to me after watching demos was their Lipstick pro humbuckers - loads of clunk and heaps of output.

Hard to know what's good from watching shitty videos online so thought I'd ask for an opinion on these GFS pickups plus any recommendations for this kind of tone? If of interest, I'll be using the guitar tuned to C standard with heavy strings. Am on a bit of a budget but would rather not "waste" my money on GFS if the general consensus is they're not worth even looking at.

Cheers!
First, what's your amp?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I would personally use a paff style pickup. They tend to bring a throaty growl that works well for that style. I know GFS has a few like that, I've looked into them for my LP but just haven't gotten around to getting any.

Perhaps one of the higher output versions would do it?
What is your actual budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!
Sorry my bad, rookie mistake... my setup is: Marshall JMP (clean) with Boss DS-1 and Way Huge Swollen Pickle layered on top + Marshall Plexi (cranked out).
My budget is kinda under $200 if possible, but I'm open to spending more if I have to. I was looking at GFS because (including shipping) they're under $150 and some of the videos look alright... but at the same time I really love my other guitars which have pickups worth $300 - $400 so I'm worried the GFS ones wont live up to them.

Also the other reason I was leaning toward the lipstick humbuckers from GFS was because I've started using a Danelectro Baritone which actually somehow gets close to the tone I want when set to both lipsticks running through all my amps... it just doesnt have enough output or "guts" but I can kind of get close using a pickup booster. So I thought maybe the lipstick hummies would be a good option? I'm tossing up going for something weird and out-there like the lipsticks or gold foils or just going regular old PAF because they have classic balls...
The old Danos do sound good the those pickups....
From what I've heard, GFS pickups are worth every cent. If they were priced like Duncan's then probably not, but one of the best bang for the buck pickups at that price.

If they made 7 string buckers I would get some in a heartbeat.
I have been considering some of their lower output pafs for my l.p. for sometime... But I'm waiting for an excuse to
Liaztraht Yeah I've been seeing VERY mixed reviews of GFS stuff! A lot of it is good press, but there are also a lot of people saying they're crap and not worth the money and effort. For me living in Australia (with the US dollar where it is) it can be on the pricier side, but still at $150 for a set including shipping that's better than one single Duncan pickup.

I've bought GFS "fat pats" and a GFS mean 90 in the past and I don't remember being happy with it, but then again I really didn't know what I was after and I took a gamble... it was in a 3 humbucker guitar with the mean 90 in the middle. I really want something with that jangle and clunk tone but with balls so hoping the lipstick hums will be a good option... especially considering how difficult it will be to change the pickups in this hollow body!
Just a thought...

I have a guitar with Seymour Duncan lipstick singlecoils, and I like it, it's going to become my guitar for slide. Lipsticks have a nice sound, but can be a tad noisy, though. What about a FillerTron style HB? You'd get the brighter tone, but less extraneous noise,