Page 1 of 2

Is it a disgrace that Scarlett Johansson a white woman is playing an Asian character in the new film of the Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell?

If yes tell us about how angry this makes you.

If no tell us why it isn't bad.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

mmmmmmyyyyyyyyyeeeeees...like rage boner
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
Last edited by mattedbird at Sep 25, 2016,
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Pretty much every anime-to-western-live-action film has been disastrous regardless of casting choices so it's all bad anyway.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
In all fairness they could've gone with Fam Bingbing

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EpiExplorer
Pretty much every anime-to-western-live-action film has been disastrous regardless of casting choices so it's all bad anyway.

yep
was destined to be bad regardless of who played kusanagi
no becuase we are all the same
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
This is like asking 'Is it ok that Sophie Okonedo plays the 100% historically white Queen Margaret in the BBC adaptation of Shakespeares plays' and the answer was and still is 'yeah sure, it was good tv'.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Is MBJ as Human Torch an example of creosoting then?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Is it a disgrace that Scarlett Johansson a white woman is playing an Asian character in the new film of the Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell?

If yes tell us about how angry this makes you.

If no tell us why it isn't bad.

Does race really matter, nick fury is white in the source material and Samuel L Jackson does an amazing job portraying him
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
American films can cast who they want.

One thing to consider though is that in a lot of cases, there are few good Asian role models for Asian girls.

There's a HUGE business in Asia for Westernising plastic surgery because all of the big movie stars and models are white. People are getting nose jobs and eyelid surgery and bleaching their skin just because that's what Asian media tells them beauty is.

American films can cast who they want but this is the legacy they are leaving when they do it. Something to consider.
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Does race really matter, nick fury is white in the source material and Samuel L Jackson does an amazing job portraying him

He's also black in the source material tbf

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Deliriumbassist
One of these guys is Nick Fury. I've even provided a HUGE picture, to make it easier to spot the white guy called Nick Fury on his first ever cover.

also nick fury

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
American films can cast who they want.

One thing to consider though is that in a lot of cases, there are few good Asian role models for Asian girls.

There's a HUGE business in Asia for Westernising plastic surgery because all of the big movie stars and models are white. People are getting nose jobs and eyelid surgery and bleaching their skin just because that's what Asian media tells them beauty is.

American films can cast who they want but this is the legacy they are leaving when they do it. Something to consider.

It's big business to gain weab business too though, when you think about a lot of Japanese finding anime to be degenerate
Quote by EndTheRapture51
also nick fury

That is so obviously based on a Sam Jackson casting decision though.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11

Nope black nick fury came before Sam L was cast
- Frank Castle
Quote by RAB11

Ultimate Nick Fury was based on Samuel L Jackson and predated MCU Nick Fury which was played by Samuel L Jackson

Point is Nick Fury is a white character as shown by Deliriumbassists post and has been portrayed by a black person and I haven't heard anyone have a problem with it, but as soon as ScarJo is cast as an Asian I hear plenty of backlash even from a fellow marvel actress
- Frank Castle
Quote by Fat Lard
It's big business to gain weab business too though, when you think about a lot of Japanese finding anime to be degenerate

Not as big business as over 1bn people.

I wasn't just talking about anime or about Japan, either. I was talking about how all western media affects all of Asia. Bleaching products are everywhere. People are lightening their skin, changing their faces with surgery, putting coloured contact lenses in, etc etc because Asian media equates white to beautiful, because that's how all the media they get goes.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Not as big business as over 1bn people.

I wasn't just talking about anime or about Japan, either. I was talking about how all western media affects all of Asia. Bleaching products are everywhere. People are lightening their skin, changing their faces with surgery, putting coloured contact lenses in, etc etc because Asian media equates white to beautiful, because that's how all the media they get goes.

Well it's not exactly as if Western society is shaming them to do those things. Maybe this is a fault of Big Makeup and Big Bleaching in Asian locations?

I think the problem is that she's playing an asian character despite being white. She's still the same exact character right? There's no problem with movies like grudge where they change the story a bit to where it's an American woman staying in japan but doing it where there's no change in the character at all and she's still asian but she's being played by a white girl is kinda weird.

Like Robert Downing Jr playing a black guy in Tropic Thunder.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
I think the problem is that she's playing an asian character despite being white. She's still the same exact character right? There's no problem with movies like grudge where they change the story a bit to where it's an American woman staying in japan but doing it where there's no change in the character at all and she's still asian but she's being played by a white girl is kinda weird.

Like Robert Downing Jr playing a black guy in Tropic Thunder.

the less asian women in hollywood the better tbh that's the effect you've had on me tbh

This is the original character that is supposedly being "white washed" here.

I mean just look at how fucking asian and not at all white she was before Scarlett Johanawhatevrr7
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Sep 25, 2016,
  • If there is a little amount of good Japanese actresses for that role in Hollywood, then I don't see much problem since the studio making the film has little choice
  • Same if there are good Japanese actresses but they are not very well known and the studio wants a well known actress (like Scarlet Johannson is) to better market their film (and didn't want to risk people not going to see the film with an unknown Japanese actress)
  • Same if there are such actresses, but they didn't respond to the casting call, or did so and didn't give a good enough performance, etc. If 2 actresses send their casting reel and one is white but really good and the other asian but not so good, then there is no problem choosing the white one.
  • To better respect the source material and source culture of these type of adaptations, it's better to adapt the cultural and ethnic elements of it too. The exception is if you are only adapting the "spirit" of the source material, but applying it in a different setting (e.g adapting an Akira Kurosawa film into a spaghetti western)
  • If the studio had access to good, well known Japanese actresses but at any point in their casting process decided to not go that route for arbitrary reasons, for some misconception about how to market their film, or straight up racism (most likely unintentional), then that is not cool

Otherwise, the problem would be more with the industry itself. Hollywood creates films that are marketed not only in "white" US but also worldwide. Like Mistress_Ibanez said, this has unintended consequences when you create films marketed only to US but are shown everywhere. So Hollywood needs to realize they need to better represent each different global culture in their films and not white-wash films just because it's easier or cheaper.
As said in the points above, for that you need to have more ethnically different actors in the industry. You need to have good ones, and have them be well-known enough to allow them to star in high-budget films without making the studios feel like they are taking a huge risk (if not then you just can't have this sort of stuff normalized, since money trumps all).

On the other hand, they are sort of doing this with how they market films to China for instance, where in films like Iron Man 3 they film specific scenes with good well known chinese actors just to market it to China. But I'm not sure if this is the way to go forward, since it seems to be driven more economically than culturally, and if it were to be a widespread type of marketting it'd be expensive and impractical as hell (i.e have every movie be filmed differently for every country in the world, having >200 versions of it)

EDIT: When people get angry at this kind of stuff, I understand but it seems that anger is misguided. For instance, that anger may be geared towards the studio making this film, when in fact the studio may have done nothing wrong or had little choice in the matter (like I mentioned in points above). The anger should be geared in a more general matter towards the industry, not a specific film/event/movie studio/etc (you also get this kind of thing when people are angry at the Oscars and stuff like that)
Last edited by gonzaw at Sep 25, 2016,
Quote by EyeNon15
This is the original character that is supposedly being "white washed" here.

I mean just look at how fucking asian and not at all white she was before Scarlett Johanawhatevrr7

You can't see it in the picture but she's very good at math.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I never really understood the "white-washing" in Japanese animes either.
Like, in every single anime every single character is white with western features.

I mean, technically Japanese people are also white, but just have different facial/body features than "western whites". If the cartoons and anime are just drawn as cartoons, then they could just NOT have the facial features of japanese nor other ethnicity, so it'd only have the white skin as a common ground for everybody while having other aspects be more "general".
Still, kind of weird
Page 1 of 2