Ok so i have just purchased a fender strat (hsh) and i need an amp to practice with, i have a very old peavey amp here to use for the time being, but its really not a good amp.

I want the best bang for my buck (it terms of quality) it doesnt have to be loud at all.

i will be playing alot of
nirvana-
Metallica-
Pearl Jam-
bullet 4 my valentine-
I'm not sure on the crush 20rt, but if you could save for the cr60 version and a cheap overdrive, you could easily get those sounds.

Any chance to try out amps?
Quote by hellomyfrend

If you could save a little and get Orange crush 35rt, the next step up, you'll get a huge improvement. I own one, the amp is loud as hell, I can goto band rehearsal with it and keep up in a small room. Plus you get a tuner and spring reverb built in. It's a solid amp. Although I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will disagree.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Quote by DirtFarmer
If you could save a little and get Orange crush 35rt, the next step up, you'll get a huge improvement. I own one, the amp is loud as hell, I can goto band rehearsal with it and keep up in a small room. Plus you get a tuner and spring reverb built in. It's a solid amp. Although I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will disagree.
I would agree. I love their crush pro series. Been rocking the head the past few months and love it.

I will definatly say their ss state amps are great for the money.
At this point its a toss up between the Orange 20rt and the Blackstar ID:Core 20W , if you guys had a choice between thsoe which one would you choose? providing they were the same price :P
I never owned a orange combo, just a cabinet. But the Blackstar was nice, I like skate-punk/garage and it reminded me a lot of a "Pennywise" Fletcher sound when I was playing on OD1 but again EVH guitar. Love Orange cabs though )

'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 26, 2016,
Quote by hellomyfrend
in terms of versatility i assume the Blackstar?

Its up to you kid, Don't settle because of the brand name, try everything!! The black star isn't very versatile which works in YOUR favor for a beginner amp, when you get a amp that can break down the tones, mids, presence, resonance, treble, bass, gain, etc then that's versatile, If Orange can make cabinets as good as there combos sure id back up there amps if there just as good!
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 26, 2016,
Thanks for all the input everyone i think im going to go with the orange, it also has a built in tuner which is nice. but who knows i might have changed my mind by the time my paycheck comes through lol
Yea get something small for now, I know what orange ur talkin about now I walked past one an saw the tuner! Get something small an as you grow, you gear grows depending how serious you are, I dont own a half stack BC I dont need it surprisingly, I run my setup at shows an record with the DSL only, I have a mesa roadking which is awesome but debating on selling it BC its soooooo versatile its confusing for me lol, just goes to show be careful what you wish for BC I dont know how to tweak the sounds. But for ME I've always been loyal to Marshall and Orange, I love love love UK amps, but thats me and what music I make, you like metal, so your going to want possibly something different, try peavey and Randall too, the specialize or build around metal , an good luck!
Marshall DSL40c
yeah, i will for sure look more into it when i decide to buy a better amp. I have a feeling that time wont come for alittle while though. i do have a peavey amp at my place already, its a rage 158 im guessing thats a pretty shitty amp though lol?
I dont know never played one lol, if theres anything I can tell you, that would benefit you from my experience, try every amp in your price range, al experiment with pickups, try a Duncan invander, dimeback. Bareknuckle pickups are intense I hear,pending on body wood, neck, but thats another topic lol, ull notice as you grow with equipment what you like an what you dont, I play skate punk so my equipment isn't very fancy and I have 1 foot pedal but it gets the job done, where I play at shows guys have 150 foot pedals with a 800$ guitar but a crappy fender or Laney amp lol, but thats what makes them happy.
Marshall DSL40c
VirgoLife87 actually, with an overdrive in front, the crushes do metal just fine. But Randall and peavey do focus on metal.
Quote by Liaztraht
VirgoLife87 actually, with an overdrive in front, the crushes do metal just fine. But Randall and peavey do focus on metal.

I never played a orange combo but that's good news!
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
I never played a orange combo but that's good news!
I have their head, but their combos use their budget speakers, which are supposed to be based off of vintage 30s if I remember correctly.

Is andertons good with returns? If so, whatever you get if you aren't happy with it, might be able to return and exchange.
Btw for metal, u rarely see fenders being used, id recommend a basswood guitar, ibanez or even some esp guitars.
Marshall DSL40c
My 1x12 has the v30 and I love em, absolutely love em, for me they sound brighter, an its a true vintage for me, if I could id get a DSL head an another orange PPC cab an sell my DSL combo lol
Marshall DSL40c
im from australia, postage cost quite abit to uk if i wanted to return it. but ordering things from there is much cheaper than ordering from australia the majority of the time.
ohhh dude I made it a promise id visit down there someday! What a life!
Marshall DSL40c
Its not bad, pretty over the summers though its too hot!! but cant have perfect weather all round i guess.
Quote by hellomyfrend
ordering things from PRETTY MUCH ANYWHERE is much cheaper than ordering from Australia the majority of the time.

Fixed it for ya! ;-)
that's the first time I seen a hsh strat!
Marshall DSL40c
Well things have changed. a family member has offered to put some money towards an amp for my 21st, so my budget has pretty much doubled, now what?