Hi there!

I am seriously considering upgrading my cutaway dreadnought Korg MF710 to something bluesier, ragtime'ish - maybe in 8-10 months time I will have the money to do it.

... And so I have come across Takamine's Pro 3 series. I have tried (and loved) P3NY... But it sort of needs a wider neck and maybe it has a couple of frets too much for what I want to use it for... Hence I have found the CP3NYK on Takamine.com here: http://www.takamine.com/product-details?id=865

I love it (in theory) but have no way to get to try it anywhere near my home... Does anyone have any experience with this particular guitar or know of an online review? Google knows nothing about it... :-(

Thanks

Allan
Welcome to the forum.

Koa and cedar should be a nice combination for a fingerpicker, but I would never choose Takamine in that price range, and I don't like pinless bridges on steel strings. I would be going for something with a resettable neck, - particularly Taylor - or Martin or maybe a Gibson Blues King. But it is as well to remember that the old blues players weren't too fussy about what kind of guitar they played.

I play fingerpicked blues, and I'm happy with dread-sized guitars provided they aren't too open-sounding. Here in Oz a lot of older Matons fit the bill nicely.
Quote by Tony Done
... but I would never choose Takamine in that price range ... I would be going for something with a resettable neck.

Thanks for welcoming me.

I get the part about the part about the pinless bridge but can You please elaborate upon the resettable neck? Doesn't it have a truss rod?

Allan
The geometry of acoustic guitars, ie action height, deteriorates over time due to string tension. The length of time varies a lot, from a year ot two to decades.This is compensated first by lowering the saddle, and when that runs out by resetting the neck at a higher angle. Some makes, such as Taylor, are very easy and cheap to reset, others are more or less difficult and expensive, and some that are epoxy jointed are very difficult even if you can find someone who can do it. I know that I'm a bit OCD about this, but I've never liked the idea of spending money on cosmetics, timber etc on reasonably expensive guitars if the basic repairability isn't there.

I'm sure it has a truss rod, but that isn't the issue in this case.
Quote by Tony Done
The geometry of acoustic guitars, ie action height, deteriorates over time due to string tension. The length of time varies a lot, from a year ot two to decades.This is compensated first by lowering the saddle, and when that runs out by resetting the neck at a higher angle. Some makes, such as Taylor, are very easy and cheap to reset, others are more or less difficult and expensive, and some that are epoxy jointed are very difficult even if you can find someone who can do it. I know that I'm a bit OCD about this, but I've never liked the idea of spending money on cosmetics, timber etc on reasonably expensive guitars if the basic repairability isn't there.

I'm sure it has a truss rod, but that isn't the issue in this case.

I learned a lot right there. Thanks!
Quote by Tony Done
Welcome to the forum.

Koa and cedar should be a nice combination for a fingerpicker, but I would never choose Takamine in that price range, and I don't like pinless bridges on steel strings. I would be going for something with a resettable neck, - particularly Taylor - or Martin or maybe a Gibson Blues King. But it is as well to remember that the old blues players weren't too fussy about what kind of guitar they played.

I play fingerpicked blues, and I'm happy with dread-sized guitars provided they aren't too open-sounding. Here in Oz a lot of older Matons fit the bill nicely.

Depends where you live though. In Europe a Martin or Taylor is severely overpriced because of taxes. You can get a 1st tier caliber Takamine over a 3rd tier Taylor or Martin. In America? You have a point. Martin & Taylor are awesome American guitars at dirt cheap prices. I see your point. Let me say this though, I am a Takamine fan. I traded a broken DSL40C for an old Takamine EG523SC 2 years ago & I do not regret that trade one bit. I don't think I'd buy one brand new, but second hand they are great value. I love my Takamine. Every bit as good or even better than Martin or Taylor, but it just doesn't have that name brand Coca Cola image.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Depends where you live though. In Europe a Martin or Taylor is severely overpriced because of taxes.

Yes... Unfortunately (speaking of guitars that is) I live i Europe. I am quite sure a Martin (above HPL level) would look good on me but unfortunately using that much money is out of the question. The are ridiculously expensive!

Thanks for sharing Your opinion on Takamine!
AllanAnd

No problem, Alan! Good luck!
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.