Hey guys,

I play in a melodic hardcore band. We play in drop C. Lots of fast chord progressions mixed with twinkly, soft parts. I have been playing an Orange Rockerverb 50 for the past couple years, and its just not cutting it anymore as we slowly stray from a heavier sound to a more melodic one. I used to switch between channels for clean and dirty, but as i felt the dirty channel started to feel like too thick a gain for our sound, i opted to run the amp clean and solely use my Diamond MK3 J-drive as a dirty sound.

That being said - I am now as the point where i am considering a new amp. The rockerverbs clean channel is too naturally deep and bass heavy. I am looking for an amp that will have a more naturally "twinkly" clean tone, that i can build from using my J drive for a more dirty tone for our faster "heavier" parts.

I have been thinking of a Fender Supersonic, but am looking for any and all suggestions; price is not a factor.

Below is everything in my setup that influences my base tone (everything minus modulation effects)

Gibson ES-339 Guitar
-
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Diamond MK3
Walrus Audio Deep Six
-
Orange 4x12
In no particular order.

Mesa Lone Star
Two Rock Studio Pro
Tone King Imperial
Morgan AC20/40 or SW20/40
Bludotone Bludo-drive
Fuchs Clean Machine
Dr Z Maz 36
Matchless Chieftain

There's always the classic Fenders, of course. I'd check out Victoria as well.
the big problem with those "twinkly" clean channels is that they often sound really tinny once you run pedals into them. i think it's the bright cap (turning off the bright switch may help).

by all means, if you can find an amp with that sparkly fender clean alongside a decent dirty channel (like the supersonic you suggested or some of the ones konijn did) then that might be worth considering. but i wouldn't buy a sparkly clean amp until i'd tried it with your pedals, just in case it doesn't sound the way you want. the fact pedals sound good with an (in your opinion) overly dark, thick-sounding clean channel likely isn't a coincidence, in other words.

EDIT: which is not to say that there might not be amps with a more sparkly clean channel than yours that do sound good with pedals. I'm not trying to put you off, just pointing out the possible pitfalls that you need to be aware of.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
octopig Mesa Lonestar Special 1×12 combo - amazing clarity out of that amp. I went from a Fender HDR Deville 2x12 which was boomy as hell to the Lonestar and it made a massive difference. The clean channel on the Lonestar is phenomenal.
Quote by I K0nijn I
In no particular order.

Mesa Lone Star
Two Rock Studio Pro
Tone King Imperial
Morgan AC20/40 or SW20/40
Bludotone Bludo-drive
Fuchs Clean Machine
Dr Z Maz 36
Matchless Chieftain

There's always the classic Fenders, of course. I'd check out Victoria as well.

Ooooh, some nice amps! 'Bout 1/3 of them are in my watched lists...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I am with Dave_Mc on this one.

The specific combination of the pedals and amps are very important.

a 'twinkley' or bright base tone may not work well with a pedal voiced a specific way.

I also have a rockerverb 50 mki head, i love it, but i know where you are coming from.

my clean amp of choice at the moment is my rivera knucklehead. not too dark not too bright. I like the gain channel, but it wouldn't be best suited to a modern metal tone. the cleans are orgasmic though. takes pedals wrll.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
While I agree with the combination thing, I'd say the base clean is the most important sound if you're doing everything with pedals anyway. You can't buy a pedal to make your amp have the clean sound it doesn't have (unless you bypass the pre-amp maybe, but yeah...) and there are thousands of drive pedals out there to pick from.
Quote by I K0nijn I
While I agree with the combination thing, I'd say the base clean is the most important sound if you're doing everything with pedals anyway. You can't buy a pedal to make your amp have the clean sound it doesn't have (unless you bypass the pre-amp maybe, but yeah...) and there are thousands of drive pedals out there to pick from.

i agree 100%. get a clean you like, and go from there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I'm using a modeler into a 1500W solid state power amp into speaker cabinets that have a 15"LF driver, 6.5" mids driver and 1" HF driver.

The modeler will allow any number of "clean" channels EQ'd to whatever you like, selectable with foot switching. The cabinets I'm using will handle up to 900W each.
I think amps that could do both have been listed, but I want to encourage that, if you can make your Rockerverb work for your heavy tone, you may want to use the new amp solely as your clean sound. As listed above, some amps may not react as well as you might like to pedals on their clean channel. I really cannot imagine a traditional Fender putting out the br00tz as well as an Orange.

Also listed above, modelers may be an option for you. I would not want to go cheap on them, though, so it depends on your budget.
Quote by I K0nijn I

Yeah. I'd just say make sure that that amp actually will sound good with pedals, as that's not guaranteed. that being said, some pedals are known to work better with brighter amps (a rat, maybe, though i'm not sure that's the best pedal for the tone he wants, just an example of a pedal which can be dialled in to sound good with brighter/more sparkly clean amps).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you'd be okay with a Marshall DSL head or combo, older one preferably. If you want brighter tone, also look at H&K amps, or Carvin's V3.
Might want to see what bands you like in terms of sound and get something similar.
I wouldn't say a DSL has stellar cleans, though. They're good amps, but wouldn't be my first choice for cleans.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I wouldn't say a DSL has stellar cleans, though. They're good amps, but wouldn't be my first choice for cleans.

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!