Hey, looking for some opinions on guitars I'm looking at buying.
First is a BC rich iron bird
Second is Michael Amott Tyrant X splatter
Third is a BC rich Kerry King V Two
Fourth is a BC rich warbeast trace
These are all in my price range, which one is best? Thanks in advance

Also if there's something better for the same price lemme know
Last edited by d.a.lees at Sep 26, 2016,
i'm not that well up on cheaper bc riches but i think they have the rep of being not that great. there probably is something better in your price range, in other words. what is your price range? and what type(s) of music do you want to play? and what's your current gear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
My price range is max $500 Canadian. I'm buying a guitar suited for hard rock and metal music. I currently have a Jay Turser Les Paul Custom and a Line 6 Spider iv amp.
Last edited by d.a.lees at Sep 26, 2016,
Does it have to be a BC Rich?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE
Nope not at all. One I included is a Dean. I just happened to find those on good deals. I am open to anything that's good but I want one for metal music and preferably one with a metal look to it.
You can get a used Jackson MIJ pro that'll destroy any of the guitars you've listed and you'll have change to spare to get a used Peavey Vypyr.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
resident BC Rich guy here. skip all the BC Rich's you've mentioned as none are all that great. you might have to up the budget some but look at the new MK series Warlock or Mockingbirds either the neck thru (probably way out of your budget ) or the set neck ones. these are quality guitars from the new owners who seem to be making an honest effort to restore BC Rich's once prestigious name.
i wouldn't touch a BCR at that spot. i also don't think i would touch a dean either.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You can get a used Jackson MIJ pro that'll destroy any of the guitars you've listed and you'll have change to spare to get a used Peavey Vypyr.

listen to this man. ^
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Would definitely recommend the Jackson and VYPYR setup. I recently purchased a Jackson for the first time and I was blown away for the "bang for your buck" that they provide tbh. and the VYPYR is one of the strongest combo amps IMO if you can find a good price on one, snap it up!
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by d.a.lees
T00DEEPBLUE
Nope not at all. One I included is a Dean. I just happened to find those on good deals. I am open to anything that's good but I want one for metal music and preferably one with a metal look to it.

Neither Dean or B.C.Rich guitars are really decent until you hit the $1000 mark as a new price.

Used MIJ Jacksons are affordable and miles above B.C. Rich or Dean in that price range and replacing that Spyder amp is something you should seriously consider as Blue said a Peavey Vyper is a much better choice for a budget modelling amp.

Sounds like you are looking for an aggresive shape a Jackson Warrior would fit the bill also you can find Ibanez Xiphos XPT700s with DiMarzio D'Activators around the $350-$450 price point used and they are very aggresive looking. I have 5 MIJ Jacksons one 1989 MIJ Charvel as well as a Xiphos all are excellent guitars
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 27, 2016,
i would look for a used DKMG, DKMGT, DK2, (all MIJ), they are a really nice for not much coin.

i have owned three (the ones listed) and they are great guitars. i think the most i payed was like $350 for DK2 (but that was ten years ago), the other were around $250.

a few months ago i sourced a DKMG for a friend. i wish i would have kept it myself. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by d.a.lees
T00DEEPBLUE
What model Jackson would you recommend?

Any MIJ Pro series Dinky is going to be good. DK2, DK2M, DK2S, DKMG, DKMGT etc. It all depends what pickup combination and want, if you want a Floyd Rose and if you want a rosewood or maple fretboard. If you want metal tones, you cannot go wrong with any of them. But the ones with Duncan pickups are a lot more versatile than the ones with EMG's.

The Pro Dinkys with Floyds have Licensed bridges which aren't too bad for what they are, but an OFR upgrade is strongly recommended. Not exactly the cheapest upgrade, but totally worth it in this instance. Really makes the guitar kick ass and is still a great value. Coil splitting is another mod you can do with the Duncans that you cannot do with the EMG's

I might also recommend the RR3 or KE3 on their own merits, but given they're bolt-ons I cannot help but feel like the only reason anybody owned them was because they couldn't afford the RR5 or KE5 respectively, while the Dinky's, having always been bolt-on's are kinda their own thing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Any MIJ Pro series Dinky is going to be good. DK2, DK2M, DK2S, DKMG, DKMGT etc.
I might also recommend the RR3 or KE3 on their own merits, but given they're bolt-ons I cannot help but feel like the only reason anybody owned them was because they couldn't afford the RR5 or KE5 respectively, while the Dinky's, having always been bolt-on's are kinda their own thing.

Any of these Dinky's would work and FWIW I have an RR3, not because I couldn't afford anything else, and it is a great guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Any of these Dinky's would work and FWIW I have an RR3, not because I couldn't afford anything else, and it is a great guitar.

On the merits of the guitar itself, of course it's great. But in my opinion I just don't think any Rhoads, King V or Kelly is really a true RR, KV or KE if they're not neck-through. Much in the same way that I don't think an LP is a proper LP if it doesn't have a set neck. But I am aware that's an entirely subjective view.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Much in the same way that I don't think an LP is a proper LP if it doesn't have a set neck. .

That's probably true if "proper" is important to you.
Given that Gibson itself has produced various levels of hollow bodies on LPs, as well as shaved neck heels, thinner bodies, bodies filled with balsa wood, varieties of fretboard material, neck construction/materials, fret styles and even pickup/control configurations (the MIII version has an HSH pickup configuration and a five-way plus a mini-switch), I can support a neck-through construction LP with no problems.
ok

Not really sure what your point is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Any MIJ Pro series Dinky is going to be good. DK2, DK2M, DK2S, DKMG, DKMGT etc. It all depends what pickup combination and want, if you want a Floyd Rose and if you want a rosewood or maple fretboard. If you want metal tones, you cannot go wrong with any of them. But the ones with Duncan pickups are a lot more versatile than the ones with EMG's.

The Pro Dinkys with Floyds have Licensed bridges which aren't too bad for what they are, but an OFR upgrade is strongly recommended. Not exactly the cheapest upgrade, but totally worth it in this instance. Really makes the guitar kick ass and is still a great value. Coil splitting is another mod you can do with the Duncans that you cannot do with the EMG's

yeah pretty much. to be strictly accurate, if he's really keen on the metal stuff then the EMGs probably are a bit more metal-orientated, but as you rightly said the Duncans are a good bit more versatile (while still being decent for metal). Just depends on what you want (as you're well aware, just in case d.a.lees isn't).

I think the KE5 was only available for a short period, too- possibly more accurate to say people who couldn't afford a KE2

And yeah I kind of agree with you, as well- the ke3 i tried was really nice (though trem upgrade would be nice, as you rightly said), but it's hard to shake the feeling that you're cheaping out slightly by not getting a neck thru. I also wonder if the shape means the neck-thru is more necessary for nice upper fret access?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
On the merits of the guitar itself, of course it's great. But in my opinion I just don't think any Rhoads, King V or Kelly is really a true RR, KV or KE if they're not neck-through. Much in the same way that I don't think an LP is a proper LP if it doesn't have a set neck. But I am aware that's an entirely subjective view.

yep, pretty much. it's totally psychological (or almost totally, as i said above, maybe the body shape does affect it), yet I also tend to agree.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by d.a.lees
T00DEEPBLUE
Is a Jackson JS32TQ Dinky any good?

I've tried a number JS Jacksons just to say that I have done, but I thought they were mediocre for the money. But when the JS guitars are so cheap, that's to be expected. Many beginners have said to love them though but given the lack of experience of most of said beginners I'd take their opinion with a grain of salt.

With that said, at the prices you can sometimes get a used MIJ Pro series for, getting a new JS instead seems like a joke. But I can understand if a less experienced guitar player might not be so comfortable purchasing a used guitar as they would be a new one.

Not to mean any of what I've said in a condescending way of course.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah pretty much. to be strictly accurate, if he's really keen on the metal stuff then the EMGs probably are a bit more metal-orientated, but as you rightly said the Duncans are a good bit more versatile (while still being decent for metal). Just depends on what you want (as you're well aware, just in case d.a.lees isn't)

With the setup I have and the specific tone I go for, I like the Duncans so much more, as a metal player. I hate the compression of EMG's and in my Epiphone Prophecy guitar, they also sound thin compared to the JB in the Jackson and the 500T in my Gibson, just for 2 examples. But that's just me and the specific setup I have though.

I think the KE5 was only available for a short period, too- possibly more accurate to say people who couldn't afford a KE2

Yeah the KE5's were super rare but they were made in Chushin Gakki like the rest of the Pro series so it's a fairer comparison I think.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've tried a number JS Jacksons just to say that I have done, but I thought they were mediocre for the money. But when the JS guitars are so cheap, that's to be expected. Many beginners have said to love them though but given the lack of experience of most of said beginners I'd take their opinion with a grain of salt.

With that said, at the prices you can sometimes get a used MIJ Pro series for, getting a new JS instead seems like a joke. But I can understand if a less experienced guitar player might not be so comfortable purchasing a used guitar as they would be a new one.

Agreed you have to be able to recognize when a noob posts a review rather than a more experienced player that will tend to be more objective and point out the guitars shortcomings as well as it's virtues such as the Jackson liscensed Floyds being the weak link for Jackson imports as opposed to a noob JS review that reads: "it a flame throwing heavy metal heavy metal machine"

Also doing a bit of homework as to what to look for when buying used such as being able to tell when a great guitar just needs a proper set up (which is honestly the case with new guitars any more) and having the knowledge and confidence to buy used will be a great asset for the guitar player on a tight budget out of 14 guitars only one of mine was purchased new.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

what is your location, we might be able to recommend some more specific items on the used market in your area
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

(a) With the setup I have and the specific tone I go for, I like the Duncans so much more, as a metal player. I hate the compression of EMG's and in my Epiphone Prophecy guitar, they also sound thin compared to the JB in the Jackson and the 500T in my Gibson, just for 2 examples. But that's just me and the specific setup I have though.

(b) Yeah the KE5's were super rare but they were made in Chushin Gakki like the rest of the Pro series so it's a fairer comparison I think.

(a) Yeah, a lot of players prefer passives- me too, probably, though for out-and-out metal I'd want the caveat that I get to choose the passives I find the JB alright for metal rather than great- I may well pick EMGs over them for that. I have a DKMGT with EMGs just to have EMGs in a guitar, lol, as I got it for a good deal a while back.

(b) Yeah absolutely. Also IIRC the colour choice was pretty poor which was annoying- for my preferences the KE3 was actually available in far nicer colours
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 29, 2016,
guitarsngear
Thanks for the help! Ibanez is closest to me so I will probably go with that. For that price I guess I can't go too wrong. A metal look would be nice but realistically it's not that important. Thanks again
I picked up a DK2 for under $100. It's a pre 06. I happen to like the licensed Floyd on it better than the OFR I put on an RG. Performance seems about the same, & the profile is lower.
^ i disagree about the floyd, but that's an awesome price. even for the pre-06 ones without the real duncans. sweet score
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?