Someone said to me that you should not use a Les Paul shaped guitar case because it puts stress on the guitar when storing it sideways and might cause the neck to crack, and should always use a square shaped guitar case when you want to store guitars with an angled headstock. What do you guys think, especially you guys who have used both?
Mostly a non-issue. Certainly not correct as a whole statement.

What is true is that not all LPs are the same dimensions, thickness, top curve, etc., and that some case companies make a "one size" case by erring on the side of being slightly too large. This means that the headstock will rest on the side of the case. This in itself is not a big deal, but if you drop the case, obviously it's not protecting the headstock correctly. Storage, I doubt would make any difference. I've never heard of an electric headstock breaking for any reason during storage. If you were really worried about the headstock resting on the side you could just stand the case up, so I wouldn't take any stock at all in this particular myth.

Strictly speaking, a rectangular (hopefully not square ) case that was the wrong size would give the headstock a little more room or at least padding to prevent a break if the case were dropped. On the other hand, a correctly made and sized case of any shape is going to be better than any shape in the wrong size. In a good quality LP case, the body is sandwiched snugly in the case, while the headstock will "float" and won't ever take the shock from a drop or strike because it's not actually touching anything. All the shock is transferred to the body.

The short answer is that if you have the wrong case, it might be slightly better to have a rectangular case in the wrong size than a shaped case in the wrong size, but if you get the right case there's nothing to worry about. Practically speaking, shaped cases are a lot less bulky and will protect just fine unless you fly a lot.
if the case is not the proper fit, whether it be contoured or rectangular, you are at more of a risk of damaging the instrument.

gibsons are more prone to neck/headstock cracking or breaking, that is a fact. that is why I typically spend more on a case (proper fitting) for a gibby than a strat or tele.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ravonhart
Someone said to me that you should not use a Les Paul shaped guitar case because it puts stress on the guitar when storing it sideways and might cause the neck to crack, and should always use a square shaped guitar case when you want to store guitars with an angled headstock. What do you guys think, especially you guys who have used both?

Horsefeathers. Proper fit and protection is far more important than whether the case is square or guitar-shaped. There's no blanket guarantee that either one is better than the other. I'm not sure where people come up with this stuff.
Quote by Roc8995

Strictly speaking, a rectangular (hopefully not square ) case

lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have never had a single issue with LP shaped cases. The only time I could see an issue is if you get a case that isn't made for your particular guitar. Some LP style guitars don't have a headstock pitch quite as deep as a Gibson so generic cases made for something like maybe an Epiphone might not fit because a Gibson headstock will be touching the base of the case. That isn't really a rectangle vs LP shaped debate though, that's more of a 'wrong case for the wrong guitar' kind of thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Both of my Gibson Les Pauls came with shaped cases. I would have thought that it would have been cheaper for them to ship with rectangular cases if those were also better protection?
I imagine that the larger cases would provide better impact protection.
But that would probably go for any shape, not just Gibsons
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename

Unnecessarily, It's all about the build and material quality and how well thought out the case really is, as in it doesn't allow any stress on the instrument. Especially on the more fragile parts such as in case of Gibsons or a lot of Jacksons their headstocks.
Quote by Kyleisthename

Unfortunately, "larger" has never been a good criterion for crash/impact protection.
For years people thought they needed a lot of steel around them when they drove down the road in a big car. Turned out that *people* were like an egg in a tin can. After a serious impact the people were thoroughly scrambled, even though the tin can didn't show a lot of damage.

It's the design and materials of the inside of the case and the ability of the case to absorb impact that really protects the guitar, not the exterior size.