Good morning folks,

I'm at the glorious point in a guitarist's life when you have all the necessary means to buy a new guitar except for the decision. I was hoping you could help me choose between:

and

I'm aiming for a bone rattling superstrat with both chop & shred potential. Both Indo made (sigh), no Floyd, coil split, decent pups already in. The difference lies in the tonewoods and necks, Swamp Ash & Set Neck / Maho + Maple & Bolt-on.

I'm looking for some fresh, value/money views on these, maybe experiences? I'll appreciate any and all.
Both are good choices for what yiou are going for. Personally I'd go for the Washburn it has the grover 18:1 tuners and the upper fret access is phenomenal, I have a Parallaxe with a Floyd and the Stevens Extended Cutaway neck joint and upper fret access is better than any guitar I own or have played hands down build quality it top notch as well as fit and finish.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i have owned too many washburns. they aren't bad guitars, but its hard to give one away much less resell at a later date.

the only washburns that sell decently (obviously on the used market) are the old dime models (i had a 333 i sold and still have another one that is in storage).

can you squeeze a ibanez prestige in your range? i own five and they are one of the best buys on the market IMO. they are a whole tier above the IR or the washburn. and are MIJ.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

thanks for Your reply.

I've never owned a Washburn, only played a couple of entry levels affordables some time ago (liked what I had in my hands considering the price). I've heard a lot of good things about the new Parallaxe series and found out they do make some heavy duty double cutaways. Unfortunately they are nowhere to be found in music stores around me so I can't really assess them on my own and am reluctant before purchase, thus this thread.

I do own an RG prestige MIJ and that's why I'm mostly considering Ibanez models. The main reason for hovering over the RGA is that RG's are scarcely ever made of anything different than basswood (which is fine, I'm more than happy with mine) and in the rare case there is, say, a mahogany one, it's fitted with EMG's, which I'm not really fond of. Was looking for used RGA's, hoping to find one MIJ on ebay, haven't found any. The super thin body of the S series is not really my kind of thing, only really got interested in the SA range, but I've never played one.

The other thing is I'd gladly spend more on the guitar if I didn't have a new tube amp purchase pending. Need to balance it out in both cases.

Thanks again for Your input!
Evilnine

Thanks for replying!

Yeah somehow I'm really drawn to the Stephen's Cutaway, seriously looks like there's nothing stopping you from playing those highest frets.

I considered this one: http://www.washburn.com/products/electric/PXS10FRDLXWB.html

A stunningly beautiful thing, although I rarely use a Floyd (interestingly enough, when I do, it's more for riff breakdowns than for actual soloing) and so got to a conclusion it's not worth consenting for a dramatic wood routing and tone loss (i am aware of the ongoing war between those who agree and those who do not) for those few instances I actually want to.

Is it the one you own? What's Your opinion on the whole Floyd tone loss / no loss?

Thanks!
Quote by Biensby
Evilnine

Thanks for replying!

Yeah somehow I'm really drawn to the Stephen's Cutaway, seriously looks like there's nothing stopping you from playing those highest frets.

I considered this one: http://www.washburn.com/products/electric/PXS10FRDLXWB.html

A stunningly beautiful thing, although I rarely use a Floyd (interestingly enough, when I do, it's more for riff breakdowns than for actual soloing) and so got to a conclusion it's not worth consenting for a dramatic wood routing and tone loss (i am aware of the ongoing war between those who agree and those who do not) for those few instances I actually want to.

Is it the one you own? What's Your opinion on the whole Floyd tone loss / no loss?

Thanks!

There will always be some tone/sustain loss with a Floyd nothing that was ever a dealbreaker for me though, but the Parallaxe has an oversized brass sustain block (something I usually have to add to all of my Floyd's) the brass block gives a warmer tone than the typical factory cheap metal blocks and adds a noticeable amount of sustain the Stevens Extended Cutaway is stupid awesome and there is a long list of premium features these come with. If you are worried about resale value then maybe grab the Ibanez but these Parallaxe guitar are top notch I will not be parting with mine any time soon if ever. Build quality is easily comparable with all of my MIJ Jacksons and Charvels with better features TBH.

I grabbed mine used in mint condition for $500 (not a bad resale price compared to other guitars of this price point) here she is:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 27, 2016,