More info needed.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
I'm Confused.

So are we.

What are you asking? Are you asking which is better because most of those pedals are very different and you can't really compare them fairly. So, what genre do you play? What sounds do you want out of the pedal? What are you playing through? What's your budget? Are you willing to buy used? Where are you located?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm throwing the question as it is just to see what's gonna appear on the other side. But O.K. Which one just SOUNDS the best? I'm able to play heavy djents on a BOSS DS-1, but I'm using Distortus Maximus for it's light overdrive, so I'm kinda versatile. I just want the best sounding one.
It's imperative to know what the context of the rest of the setup is before anybody can give a remotely constructive answer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
No, not really : D. That's a myth that even Brian Wampler himself busted on couple of his videos. The very point of any guitar effect is to make one thing into very specific other thing (overdriven amp sound, sound of a big room, violin sound, or whatever), so IF you succeed you are going to have THAT sound regardless of a gear. Guitar, amp, cable. None of that shit matters. Yes, there is a differences, but they're so minuscule that you can as well argue that some guitars only sounds good when played in an empty room 12 by 10 feet with a high roof in a triangular shape.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
No, not really : D. That's a myth that even Brian Wampler himself busted on couple of his videos. The very point of any guitar effect is to make one thing into very specific other thing (overdriven amp sound, sound of a big room, violin sound, or whatever), so IF you succeed you are going to have THAT sound regardless of a gear. Guitar, amp, cable. None of that shit matters.

I'm sorry but none of what you've just said is true. Any pedal is going to be subject to the rest of the setup that drives it. A Boss Metalzone is never going to magically turn a Marshall MG into a Mesa Rectifier. The way the pedal and that amp achieve their sound on is entirely different to a Duel Rectifier on dozens of fundamental levels. So of course they're not going to sound the same.
Yes, there is a differences, but they're so minuscule that you can as well argue that some guitars only sounds good when played in an empty room 12 by 10 feet with a high roof in a triangular shape

The irony of this statement is that the acoustics of the room that you're situated in do make a substantial difference.to the way a guitar setup sounds. That's why professional sound studios spend so much money on acoustically deadening recording rooms to keep the recording environment as controlled as possible.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
All of what you said is true AND prove my point in the same time : D. Don't give me wrong, you really are right. But the fact, that MetalZone doesn't sound like Marshall MG into Mesa has nothing to do with the AMP. It's only the pedal. That's why you call it an EFFECT. And that's why I asked about the SOUND of the effects without saying anything else : D.
And about recording studios. Again, you are right, but in a wrong way. Studios are made specifically to make them silent, isolated. That's it. There is no accoustic shit in the recording studios. Not anymore at least. Shape of the room makes matters when you want to record a lot of something, or with a specific reverb effect. Then it matters. But as I said... not anymore. Reverb effects, amp effects, postproduction plugin effects, mixing, mastering EFFECTS. All effects. And your playing of course ; D.
You aren't going to get an answer to a question nobody can answer.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but I don't agree with your assesment that the amp doesn't matter and it has nothing to do with your overall sound and I reckon most people here won't either. Your amp has the biggest effect on your tone. Either way, your question is barely a question and nobody can answer it properly. Either rephrase it and ask a question of substance or I can see this thread getting locked soon.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
All of what you said is true AND prove my point in the same time : D. Don't give me wrong, you really are right. But the fact, that MetalZone doesn't sound like Marshall MG into Mesa has nothing to do with the AMP. It's only the pedal. That's why you call it an EFFECT. And that's why I asked about the SOUND of the effects without saying anything else : D. And about recording studios. Again, you are right, but in a wrong way. Studios are made specifically to make them silent, isolated. That's it. There is no accoustic shit in the recording studios. Not anymore at least. Shape of the room makes matters when you want to record a lot of something, or with a specific reverb effect. Then it matters. But as I said... not anymore. Reverb effects, amp effects, postproduction plugin effects, mixing, mastering EFFECTS. All effects. And your playing of course ; D.

English is probably not your first language but what you're saying is incoherent.

Do you mean to say that the reason the MG and the Metalzone don't sound like a Duel rec is because of the pedal?

Because in that scenario the pedal is actually the somewhat lesser problem. The real problem is that the amp sucks and no distortion pedal is going to fix that. It doesn't replicate the tone of a Duel Rec because it's plainly apparent that the way it's designed and built is completely different to a Duel Rec. So right out of the gate, you cannot expect them to sound the same, even with a distortion pedal. If you cannot hear a difference between the 2 amps then you're as deaf as a lamp post and you should consult a doctor concerning your hearing loss.

And if you're so certain that you're correct, then what are you even asking the original question for? You've convinced yourself of your own question. Why not just run a Bogner Ecstasy pedal into a Line 6 Spider if you think it will sound exactly like a Bogner Ecstasy?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
What is a "Pro Tone Body Rot", and why did they make a SECOND one?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is a "Pro Tone Body Rot", and why did they make a SECOND one?

IIRC it's a heavy metal pedal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I don't agree, but I think his point is that a metal zone through an mg sounds like a can of bees and the metal zone through a Mesa sounds like a can of bees.
The metalzone doesn't make an Mg sound like a mesa because it's not supposed to, it's supposed to sound like a metalzone.
The pedal will sound like the pedal no matter what amp or guitar.
Again, I don't agree with what he said, so don't attack me please.
Pisdiyauwot? The name itself sounds gross. I like it .
All of you actually kinda get my idea also. Since all of the tone really is in your fingers I'm not interested in gates and shit, or is it going to make me sound like anything, or anyone. I want a GOOD distorion pedal. And by that I mean with the highest quality sound. Plus some knob are always cool : D.

P.S.: I believe people from Friedman BE-OD said it the best. They said that the purpose of the guitar effect is to make an effect. And if you get a different sound from it just by swiching guitars, or something, it's a badly designed effect. Not always, but you get the idea. Some designers even say that if you want a sound of Mesa on your MG set it on flat and clean. Don't fuck with the settings. Because if the effect is good that means it already doing it's job. By fucking with it you only make matters worst.
That's why I don't give a fuck about sounding like anyone, asking anyone what's best for metal, or djent, or fusion jazz. I just want a good quality shit. In this example from a family of high gain hi-fi amp simulators in a box.
There's no way you can put a Dual Rectifier and a Marshall MG with a Triple Wreck in front of it in the same room on the same cabs and not hear the ridiculous difference in sound quality.

Also, suggesting that guitars don't make a difference is really odd. Don't you hear any difference in sound when you plug in a different guitar? Even acoustically they sound so massively different it's not even funny. Are you sure the people from Friedman didn't say something more along the lines that it'll sound good with any type of guitar? That would be far more reasonable.

The highest quality and best sound is too subjective. The options you gave are also way too different to be compared.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Don't you hear any difference in sound when you plug in a different guitar? Even acoustically they sound so massively different it's not even funny.

Of course it does. But not that much. Well let's put it this way. Massive difference is between a violin, and a piano. Between a piano, and a guitar is a normal difference. Classic guitar, and an acoustic guitar is a small difference. And between one brand of an electric guitar, and the other brand of an electric guitar.......... there is no difference. There is, but no one hears it besides you. And only because you compared the two. Everytime when someone argue over a Telecaster with humbuckers vs an Ibanez with hambuckers I'm just laughing my ass of. When you are in the middle of the song you don't care if it's tele or a strat, or what. No one even notice when a musician swap a guitar in the middle of it, or sometimes even when they change pickups. Have you EVER thought "oh, they swiched from Custom shop Les Paul to a custom shop strat. I can totally hear it, and now I'm not enjoying it"??? No! You don't care! NO ONE CARES : D.

That's why I just want a good sounding distortion pedal. THAT'S IT!

And no, it's not subjective. Worst sounding shit sounds worst. If it's subjective, then why you bring swapping guitars in the first place? ; )
Last edited by Mateusz Kaczmar at Sep 27, 2016,
I think I kind of get what you are trying to get at TS, but the fact is that NO pedal is designed well enough to discount the quality of the rest of the setup. I don't care what theoretical metric of quality is used.

Secondly, you asked to objectively compare pedals that simply aren't trying to achieve the same sound. If I want a modern metal sound then I don't want the Box of Rock. If I want a Hendrix tone then I don't want the Triple Wreck. It's like asking should I buy a BMW M2 or a Chevy Silverado. Are you looking for a great driving joy car or do you want to haul your boat to the lake?

This is guitar, it's all opinion, there is rarely an objective best.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Of course it does. But not that much. Well let's put it this way. Massive difference is between a violin, and a piano. Between a piano, and a guitar is a normal difference. Classic guitar, and an acoustic guitar is a small difference. And between one brand of an electric guitar, and the other brand of an electric guitar.......... there is no difference.

But that's a terrible analogy. Comparing a violin to a piano is just nonsense. A piano and a guitar are considered a 'normal difference' to you? How does that even make any sense? A guitar is not analogous to a piano any more than a sailing boat is analogous to an extremely slow airplane. It's a completely meaningless comparison.
There is, but no one hears it besides you. And only because you compared the two.

Well given that I am the guitar player, I am the one who is passionate about playing the instrument and I am the person who cares more than anyone else how I sound, then what does it matter what anyone else can't hear that I can? I care. And whether or not anyone else doesn't care is irrelevant.
Everytime when someone argue over a Telecaster with humbuckers vs an Ibanez with hambuckers I'm just laughing my ass of. When you are in the middle of the song you don't care if it's tele or a strat, or what. No one even notice when a musician swap a guitar in the middle of it, or sometimes even when they change pickups. Have you EVER thought "oh, they swiched from Custom shop Les Paul to a strat copy. I can totally hear it, and now I'm not enjoying it"??? No! You don't care! NO ONE CARES : D.

Um, yes I do care, sir. I can hear differences from one guitar to another because I have the experience and the hearing to know how one guitar sounds over the other. Not only does a strat sound different to a tele, the two guitars feel entirely different to play too, so that's something else I notice. You aren't really in a position to tell me what I do and don't care about, sir.
And no, it's not subjective. Worst sounding shit sounds worst. If it's subjective, then why you bring swapping guitars in the first place? ; )

There are a number of reason why someone might want to change guitars over. Different tones and different tunings being the 2 most significant. Just because one guitar sounds different to the other doesn't mean its bad. It just sounds different. One may be better suited for fulfilling the intent of the player in one situation over another, but there's nothing objective about a player's intent. So saying there is an objective measurement when it comes to how good any guitar sounds is nonsensical.

Overall this thread is really stupid and I'm struggling to see why I am still wasting my time with it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think I kind of get what you are trying to get at TS, but the fact is that NO pedal is designed well enough to discount the quality of the rest of the setup. I don't care what theoretical metric of quality is used.

Yes. But my setup is already pretty sweet ; D. Simple, all true bypass. The type of an effect I'm searching for is self-explanatory, I think. It's high gain amp simulator. By a good sound quality I mean just the best sound. The highest quality one. It's like desiding between a cassett tape, an 128mHz mp3, or a CD. None of them sounds like a life performance, but I don't have money to buy a band to my room ; ). I'm just searching for the best quality. I don't care if it's 80's style, or modern. No one in the adience will care anyway. They came for a good song.
Last edited by Mateusz Kaczmar at Sep 27, 2016,
FWIW, some of my favorite metal distortion pedals:

Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Yes. But my setup is already pretty sweet ; D. Simple, all true bypass. The type of an effect I'm searching for is self-explanatory, I think. It's high gain amp simulator. By a good sound quality I mean just the best sound. The highest quality one. It's like desiding between a cassett tape, an 128mHz mp3, or a CD. None of them sounds like a life performance, but I don't have money to buy a band to my room ; ). I'm just searching for the best quality. I don't care if it's 80's style, or modern. No one in the adience will care anyway. They came for a good song.

They are all of a very high quality. None is arguably of a higher quality than the other. Hence, we need SOME kind of preference. Like, do you like old Judas Priest sounds? Are you a Metallica fan?

C'mon, throw us a bone dude.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar

A distortion pedal is not analogous to the ability for CD to reproduce a signal with a high degree of fidelity compared to a cassette. That's just not how distortion pedals are 'measured'. They're measured by how you think they sound. Whether or not a pedal sounds good or not is something YOU need to decide for yourself. Nobody else can make that decision for you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE
Yes, yes, and yes. All what you are saying is true. I never said "buy anything". Buy a guitar that you like, that's comfortable for you, that play YOUR sound and all of it. But no one never despised a band, or a song for having a bit brighter sound. Or even a little bit worst. And about the differences between different types of guitars: Metal community convinced themselfs, that all of those differences makes any difference. And it's like that because it's an extremely tight community of an extremely tight genre. They thing anyone else hears the difference. It's like convincing yourself that your article is any different, because you used this word over that word in a paragraph two. Or that "recorded on a tape" shit. How fuckin' cares? If it makes ant difference, then why some band that does that are good, and some of them sucks balls? Because the songs are bad, and they are sucking balls : D. Just play good songs, play them well, in good quality, and everything is going to be all right : DDD.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Of course it does. But not that much. Well let's put it this way. Massive difference is between a violin, and a piano. Between a piano, and a guitar is a normal difference. Classic guitar, and an acoustic guitar is a small difference. And between one brand of an electric guitar, and the other brand of an electric guitar.......... there is no difference. There is, but no one hears it besides you. And only because you compared the two. Everytime when someone argue over a Telecaster with humbuckers vs an Ibanez with hambuckers I'm just laughing my ass of. When you are in the middle of the song you don't care if it's tele or a strat, or what. No one even notice when a musician swap a guitar in the middle of it, or sometimes even when they change pickups. Have you EVER thought "oh, they swiched from Custom shop Les Paul to a custom shop strat. I can totally hear it, and now I'm not enjoying it"??? No! You don't care! NO ONE CARES : D.

That's why I just want a good sounding distortion pedal. THAT'S IT!

You're either almost deaf or just the best troll in the history of the internet. You can't possibly play a guitar through an amp, replace the guitar with something really different and not hear a difference. It baffles me that you'd even suggest no one hears a difference between a Strat and a Les Paul. I swap out guitars because they sound different. If tone isn't subjective, tell me how millions of people love Jimi Hendrix and I frankly don't really care for his sound. Or how I think St. Vincent does fantastic stuff and sounds stellar for what she does and I know tons of people that were baffled when they heard she won a Grammy.

You want a good sounding distortion pedal for what? I love the Mad Professor Sweet Honey. Will you play metal with it? No. Does that make it a bad pedal? No. It's just not suited to what you want. Then again, you don't believe in that, so go ahead and buy it. It's really nice, sturdy and doesn't degrade the sound quality in any way.

Also, the audience doesn't care what you use, but they do care about what you sound like. I've seen enough bars go empty because the sound of the band sucked.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A distortion pedal is not analogous to the ability for CD to reproduce a signal with a high degree of fidelity compared to a cassette. That's just not how distortion pedals are 'measured'. They're measured by how you think they sound. Whether or not a pedal sounds good or not is something YOU need to decide for yourself. Nobody else can make that decision for you.

Not really. Yes, but not really. In a That Pedal Show – Boss Metal Zone: Part 2 episode (Youtube) you can hear, that even thou all the pedals are dialed pretty similar MetalZone just has the worst sound quality. There is nothing wrong with using it. It just sounds like a cassett tape to me. And I want a CD quality.
If it really makes no difference, why bother asking us? Buy any of them. What are you looking to get from this thread?

Guitar Nihilism
Only chiming in to say that the Body Rot 2 is pretty much a modified Distortus Maximus. And to my ears the Krank pedal is better. Since you say you are running a Distortus Maximus already, you can kick the Body Rot off the list.
Hmmm...good to know. I've had a KDM for years, and have never been particularly impressed by it.

dannyalcatraz I've looked into building a few different dirt boxes for fun and noticed that the BR2 is only a couple part changes and maybe 1 or 2 extra components compared to the KDM. Even confirmed when looking at the tag board effects layouts of them. They referred to the br as a "slightly modified" kdm.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 28, 2016,
dannyalcatrazThat's what I'm talking about : DDDD. Fuckin' thanks. That's a good start. Though choice. Express Heavy have so many knobs I'm in love. yet I thing PisdiYAUwot sounds better.

LiaztrahtTHANKS! VERY USEFUL : D
Last edited by Mateusz Kaczmar at Sep 28, 2016,
So that's what you want? Other suggestions? I'm seriously confused by your goal here dude. Bullshit philosophy aside, I'd like to at least accomplish something with this thread.