http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/three-parent-baby-world-first-born-mexico-a7333191.html

According to critics, the procedure is tantamount to genetic modification of humans or even "playing God". But supporters say it allows women with a particular type of genetic disease to have healthy children who are related to them.
There are different ways of creating a so-called three-parent baby.
The technique used by Dr John Zhang, of the New Hope Fertility Clinic in New York, and his team involving taking the nucleus from one of the mother's eggs – containing her DNA – and implanting it into a donor egg that had its nucleus removed but retained the donor's healthy mitochondrial DNA.

Opinions?
Does this technique raise any ethical concerns/question?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Gattica was a sweet movie
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by k.lainad

no
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by k.lainad

Opinions?

I don't see a problem here. If using medicine to avoid a disease is "playing G_D" then I can think of quite a few things that qualify, and I don't suspect there are a lot of folks clamoring for us to give them up. This is advanced medicine of course, but so was vaccination in the 1800's...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It's cool as shit but not as crazy as people make it seem. Parents can have kids without passing on mitochondrial diseases. Like, that's it. The kid will get the healthy mitochondria of the donor and that's it. Worst case scenario, it might mess up a test for mDNA if the kid ever gets it.

It's basically like a surrogate mother but on a cellular level.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
This is badass and playing god is a good thing anyway, so people can stfu.
It's all good until the child begins to mutate later in life by then it will be too late and we will have real life X-Men

So the real question is will we accept this new race of mutant humans or will they become cast off as bastards of the human race?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

? Neat. A small step towards eliminating hereditary disease.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Isn't this how Parasite Eve started? Great book btw.

Edit:

Meanwhile in the comment section:

Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Sep 27, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
It's all good until the child begins to mutate later in life by then it will be too late and we will have real life X-Men

So the real question is will we accept this new race of mutant humans or will they become cast off as bastards of the human race?

So, what you're saying is my baby could shoot lasers out of his eyes?

Sign me up.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Sign me up.

If there's one thing that would definitely not help me with my tantrumming two year-old it would be laser eyes.

A third pair of hands would be great though.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by TheChaz
This is badass and playing god is a good thing anyway, so people can stfu.

yup

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I think the fact that the child has 2 biological mothers and 1 father might incite some ethical questioning, but I can't really think of anything morally wrong with it. Other than it just being really bizarre.

And to put my 3dg3lord cap on, 'playing god' implies there ever existed a god to emulate. Actually having the power to do things that people once thought only the creator of the entire universe could do never ceases to be cool.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think the fact that the child has 2 biological mothers and 1 father might incite some ethical questioning, but I can't really think of anything morally wrong with it. Other than it just being really bizarre.

And to put my 3dg3lord cap on, 'playing god' implies there ever existed a god to emulate. Actually having the power to do things that people once thought only the creator of the entire universe could do never ceases to be cool.
Pretty sure the kid will only have the mitochondria of the donor mother. That's it. People are acting like this is some fucking splicing of all three parents in a science experiment. It is completely amazing, but it's not that crazy of a concept. The mother's DNA will take over everything else except the mitochondrial DNA. If they have a girl and that girl then has children in her future, the genetic disease she carried has been eliminated. That genetic line will no longer pass on that negatively mutated mitochondria. It's the same thing as any extreme corrective procedure for birth defects. We shouldn't play with genetics when we still understand so little, but people who our genetics to be more sacred than our bodies somehow. C sections and surrogate mothers function the same where we circumvent a roadblock of nature.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? [...] Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? - Kanye West

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by BladeSlinger
Pretty sure the kid will only have the mitochondria of the donor mother. That's it. People are acting like this is some fucking splicing of all three parents in a science experiment. It is completely amazing, but it's not that crazy of a concept. The mother's DNA will take over everything else except the mitochondrial DNA. If they have a girl and that girl then has children in her future, the genetic disease she carried has been eliminated. That genetic line will no longer pass on that negatively mutated mitochondria. It's the same thing as any extreme corrective procedure for birth defects. We shouldn't play with genetics when we still understand so little, but people who our genetics to be more sacred than our bodies somehow. C sections and surrogate mothers function the same where we circumvent a roadblock of nature.

Yeah I think the best way to approach this kind of technology is to use it like a vaccine. Not as a means to try and make 'designer babies' or any other strawman bullshit like that.

I think it'll be more interesting to see if they come up with a 'genetic vaccine' to cure Down Syndrome though. Can't wait to see muh down feelings be hurt.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
Hard to say without any data on multiple subjects that have lived a full life. I think techniques like these need to be conducted with caution since its entering the unknown and could potentially lead to being applied for the wrong reasons.
Wait, so, a 3 person baby is a third party's egg cell containing the individuals mitochondrial dna ,but, with the nucleus replaced with a close relatives egg cell nucleus containing the dna of that woman's parents? Or is the egg cell fertalized and then it's nucleus transplanted? Either way it takes 2 girls and 1 guy. Thats scientific proof.
Quote by k.lainad
Yes, I am greatly concerned -- is this a spoiler from Orphan Black's next season??

#CloneClub

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
This is an abomination against god. May he rain down his firey rath upon thee!
God gave the doctor the gift to do this. Would be sin not to use it
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. ...
And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. -- Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28

Abortion is only okay if your woman cheats on you.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I swear my school must have got a bonus for showing that movie

I studied it in Year 8 English,

Then in year 9 Biology

Year 11 Physics

Year 10 English

Year 9 Sociology

or our budget was really really tiny,.......
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Shield150
My question is when will there be 144-parent children?

call me then no sooner

Go to the poorer neighbourhoods where you live....

In Australia, you go to the more scummy areas, and there will always be some lady named "Shazza".

Shazza is 30, but looks 60. Shazza has 15 kids of varying ages, to 144 different men.

That's where the 144 parents thing is possible. Because despite them all being exes, they still live with Shazza in a two bedroom weatherboard house
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
No shit
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Sign me up.

Or maybe have retractable Adamantium claws!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The whole 'Playing G0D' argument is asinine at best, and its a haphazard attempt at keeping people from advancement.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
yep
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me