Which is the better deal? Fender 65 Super Reverb for $750 or Marshall DSL40c for $500?
I play from a fat metal distortion to a room reverb.
I mostly play on my own or jam with another person. I am looking to join or make a band soon.
I'm not sure I'd get either for "fat metal distortion".
They would both need a pedal to get there for sure. Either a high gain pedal on the clean channel or an overdrive to boost the gain channel.

It's easier to help you get what you really want/need if you fill this out:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
I'd go for the DSL as it is more versatile and has medium to moderate high gain. Might need overdrive pedal to take it all the way to extreme metal. It can do stuff like Judas Priest and AC/DC but it needs a boost in the preamp section to do say Metallica.
ssenn14

I've had some issues with my DSL40C. It has a killer sound on the OD channel but there's a history of problems with the clean crunch switch on the clean channel. The problem is a scratchy and reduced volume. I took the board out and tried using D100 spray in case there was any corrosion in or around the switch. It didn't really work. The problem returned. Sometimes it stops by cycling the switch repeatedly. It's a pain to suddenly have this problem happen when playing out. There's a huge difference in the volume as well. I've searched the forums and can't find any solution. Calling Marshall tomorrow.

I find others are having the same problem. I'm actually looking at a 65 Reverb to replace it now.
Last edited by robertclydesd at Oct 2, 2016,
robertclydesdthats the first I've heard of that problem. No mention of it at the Marshall forum. Who's having the issues?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Peavey Ultra Plus

Very versatile amp. Clean channel is, well, pleasantly clean. Crunch channel has plenty of bite. Ultra channel is angry. All tube, rather heavy. I got really lucky and was able to snag one 2 weeks ago for $250 with the footswitch. Footswitch is a must. Should easily be able get that head and a decent cab for less than the Fender combo and would be able to blow the Fender out of the water in both tone and volume. Just my 2¢.

*whispering* Peavey Ultra Plus Peavey Ultra Plus Peavey Ultra plus
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Fender 65 Super Reverb is a great amp but not for fat metal tones.
If you have to choose only between them I would go for the Marshall which is more versatile.