Just wondering, saw a pedal with about maybe 7-8 setting bars that have the option to go up & down. What are the purpose of these pedals? Is it a better way to break down the tone or take the tone an "control" it?

Just wondering thanks!
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
You've pretty much answered your own question. Having a greater ability to control the your guitar tone is exactly what they're there for,

Some of them also allow you to not just cut, but boost pre gain and post gain too. So you can essentially use them as boosts and overdrive pedals but with tons more adjustability than regular drive pedals.

They're indispensable. There's never a situation where an EQ pedal cannot be useful in some way. I'd recommend them to just about anyone no matter what they're trying to do.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 27, 2016,
Oh wow, I don't use one, I just have a fuzz pedal lol, but that's pretty cool! Thanks for your time, case closed! lol
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Once you mess around with an EQ pedal, you may never want to go without one again! I'm more of a plug and play kind of guy, so I never really used one for years. But once, I did, there was no going back.

It's beyond useful with my Fireball, which has a natural mid scoop in the voicing, making it a challenge to cut through in live situations with a loud drummer, without an EQ in the loop to bring those mids back. Even if you don't have a problem like that, they still offer far more tone shaping capabilities to you, and make it easier to get that tone in your head.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
As others have said, once you try one, you might wonder how you ever got along without one. Especially when they're used in the effects loop. Mine is on all the time on the drive channels of both of my amps. And it isn't that I don't like the base tone the amps get -- it's that the EQ pedal opens up possibilities that are out of reach with a simple 3-knob amp EQ section.

They work in front of the amp as well (before the preamp), but they don't have as big of an effect there in my experience. And if you find that you really need to tweak an EQ pedal in front of your amp, it might be that your guitar/pickups are not appropriate for what you're trying to achieve.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I once watched a video by Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine talking about his gear. He uses an EQ pedal when he wants to "go to 11"! He also has to cover it with cling film during live shows so his sweat doesn't get into the circuits!!
You can use an EQ either as something you always leave on, so as to further sculpt the tone of your amp ( this useful if your amp has bad EQ controls). You can also use it as a boost or as an effect for certain parts of a song, like a solo.

In my experience, if you have a great amp you don't need an EQ pedal to be always on. If you need an EQ pedal, than you probably don't have the right amp ( there are exceptions to this which I'm sure will be listed in this thread). That being said, it's cheaper to just buy a pedal than a new amp so feel free to experiment. Certain amps, Like the pimped out Mesa Boogies have extensive EQ controls for all channels, which make a pedal redundant.