Hi! This is my first post, but I've been reading on this forum for about a year now. I'm a high schooler in a an alternative/ noise rock type 5 piece. We have two guitarists (sometimes three if our singer wants to play), a bassist, a drummer, and a singer. I'm trying to be more experimental with our sound. I'd like to be able to reach lower notes that a standard guitar. I'm need to decide between 3 instruments; A Squier VM (with an octave pedal), a Squier Bass VI, or an Ibanez 8 string tuned drop E. I'm not too worried about brands either. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
1) you're probably best off with an instrument designed for lower notes. The bass, an ERG (any guitar with 7+strings), or a Baritone would be your best options. As a guitarist, I'd probably opt for a baritone first (no need to alter technique), then an ERG, then a bass.

2) how does the bass player feel about you stepping into his sonic territory? Too many instruments in the same space could get muddy & cluttered.

3) that said, I love octave pedals! I have a couple octave up, octave down and octave fuzzes. They can add a lot of character.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 27, 2016,
dannyalcatraz
Thanks for such a fast reply! Our bassist is normally just keeping the rhythm while id be doing more melodic or lead parts
since its more about experimenting at this point why not get an octave pedal and use it with your existing guitar, I don`t see the need to buy another guitar just to use with the pedal. Then if you don`t like it you can try a baritone 6 or a 7 or 8 string guitar.
Some better than others.

I like the Catalinbread Perseus Octave-Fuzz

But maaaaybe the Morpheus Divebomber would work better for your purposes...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

no mention of a 7 string any reason? just my opinion but perhaps you need to concentrate on the lower mids instead of invading the bass players territory. i'll freely admit that I don't really understand the modern need to play the guitar in the bass range. a well blended band will sound heavier in the long run than a bunch of guys all fighting for the same range.
monwobobbo
I mostly play clean with reverb and delay, so sounding heavier isn't the main objective but that option would be nice
Quote by devnut
monwobobbo
I mostly play clean with reverb and delay, so sounding heavier isn't the main objective but that option would be nice

well guess that goes to show how much I know about Alt Noise rock
Knowing your limitations is a virtue!

guitars are midrange instruments. don't intrude on the bassist's range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
guitars are midrange instruments. don't intrude on the bassist's range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Have you thought about diving into another instrument? A synth or keyboard? The sky is the limit and in a band full of stringed instruments you can really stand out with something different. Adding another guitar just seems like overkill to me. I've never been a fan of more than 2 guitars and a bass player. Anymore and it just gets too blended for me.

EDIT, i read the OP wrong. I assume you are already one of the two guitar players?
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Last edited by DirtFarmer at Sep 28, 2016,
DirtFarmer
Yeah I'm one of the guitarists, but trying out keyboard would be great if I had more than basic training on it. Maybe I should start taking lessons
Screw that!