Hi, I'm rockin an epi les paul 2003 model. Love it and all but I noticed that after my guitar is correctly tuned, my d chord is sounds off. My open G string will be in tune but not when I am making a note on the G string. Could an unbalanced bridge cause this problem, or maybe a bad fret job? Or could a truss rod adjustment fix it up? I understand this is a Chinese made guitar but let me know what you think.
It needs to be set up properly and most importantly have the intonation corrected. There are a lot of guides in this stuff out there if you're willing to do it yourself, but you could take it to a tech and have him do it (better) as well.
minimax8888881 Take it to a guitar tech if you're just starting out. Hopefully, it's not something fundamentally wrong with the fretwork.
Could be the nut is too high for that sting. As others said, get someone to look at it.
Could be intonation, could be uneven frets or an action problem, or a you could be fretting too hard (unlikely)

But realize there are some chords that will never be perfectly in tune because of equal temperament. Some of us with good ears can pick it out but a lot cannot.
Quote by SpiderM
Could be the nut is too high for that sting. As others said, get someone to look at it.
That would be my guess, it's the usual cause of this problem.

Quote by Ignite
But realize there are some chords that will never be perfectly in tune because of equal temperament. Some of us with good ears can pick it out but a lot cannot.
True but not the main issue here. An equal temperament G chord is exactly as out of tune with a just intonation G chord in the key of G as an equal temperament D chord is with a just intonation D chord in the key of D. The issue here is that the guitar isn't perfectly reproducing equal temperament, which is always the case but can be minimised with a good setup. Of course if your equal temperament third, for example, is slightly sharp, then it'll be very sharp compared to the consonant interval in just intonation, but that returns to the original issue which is that a well set-up guitar should reproduce equal temperament as well as possible so that every chord sounds about as in tune as every other.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
That would be my guess, it's the usual cause of this problem.

True but not the main issue here. An equal temperament G chord is exactly as out of tune with a just intonation G chord in the key of G as an equal temperament D chord is with a just intonation D chord in the key of D. The issue here is that the guitar isn't perfectly reproducing equal temperament, which is always the case but can be minimised with a good setup. Of course if your equal temperament third, for example, is slightly sharp, then it'll be very sharp compared to the consonant interval in just intonation, but that returns to the original issue which is that a well set-up guitar should reproduce equal temperament as well as possible so that every chord sounds about as in tune as every other.

I figure this isn't his issue, but it's worth noting.

I've owned several guitars, all set up, frets leveled, etc

I don't know exactly which chords need adjustments to be perfectly in tune, but I know if I tune perfectly, an open D chord is in tune, but an open A is noticeably out of tune, or vice versa if I compensate for an A. I believe it's the B string that has a lot of trouble with equal temperament. Which is why some companies have created fretboards with all those squiggly frets to make sure every chord is as much in tune as possible.

This has been in every guitar I've played. In a dual tracked mix, with everything going on its not as noticeable, or with a clean tone. But with distortion I notice it way too much and it's always bothered me.

Edit:

Notice how the first fret on the B string is way out?
That's the problem I've had with every guitar. The first fret needs to be sharper to be in tune with a lot of chords. My ear catches the clashing frequencies and I can't stand it.
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 1, 2016,