do you believe that some people are born with natural talents? I guess I could go as far as to ask the question of born innate traits vs environment, experience, developed traits. Is innate talent a myth or real? I tend to believe its real because some people just pick up things faster. For instance, two musicians who have been playing same amount of time could be at totally different levels. In fact the one that rarely practices can be better then the musician who practices daily for hours. Hard works does pays off, but some people just seem get by without it,
Last edited by brenton393 at Sep 27, 2016,
Yeah. People can be born with physical attributes that make it easier to, for instance, sprint faster than the average person.

People are also born with different mental attributes that make it easier to learn different things and in different ways. So some people definitely are more naturally gifted guitarists than others. Song writing as well, some people can write songs every day, some people can't even write an original chord progression.
yeah, talent is sort of a limit to ones own capacity or skill, kinda like intelligence
but i would lump talent more so to ones deep appreciation for that skill or understanding

some call it being a "prodigy", like they pick up a skill extremely fast from a young age and run with it until they're the best in the world
i read up on all kinds of stories of extremely bright asian kids graduating university with masters degrees in engineering at the age of like 10!

it's really crazy stuff, but just "talent" alone is something pretty much everyone possesses
most people just don't know they have a talent, but those of us who find our talents young in life are generally happy because it turns into real passion, despite not having an off the charts IQ...
(music, art, graphic design, directing film, sports, etc)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Duh.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ehbacon
Song writing as well, some people can write songs every day, some people can't even write an original chord progression.
Also yeah, my dad is definitely the former whereas I'm the latter. He's better at writing but not developing different techniques, and I'm better at different techniques but not at writing.

He's been playing guitar probably since I was born and only learned about pinch harmonics just a few years ago.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 27, 2016,
fuck pinch harmonics

I've been playing for 6 years (???) now and I still can't fucking do a pinch harmonic
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
fuck pinch harmonics

I've been playing for 6 years (???) now and I still can't fucking do a pinch harmonic

I've been playing for 11 and they sometimes happen

They're kinda silly anyway so whatever
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by RylanThePotato
fuck pinch harmonics

I got the hang of them as soon as I knew they existed. And I'm self-taught lmao.

Have you tried it with different pickup settings on your guitar? I've learned that some harmonics don't pick up virtually at all on certain pickup settings. Try experimenting?

The lower end pickups pick them up the best imo, but I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to all things guitar. Except how to play it, obvs.
Quote by SGstriker

Quote by Joshua Garcia
I got the hang of them as soon as I knew they existed. And I'm self-taught lmao.

Have you tried it with different pickup settings on your guitar? I've learned that some harmonics don't pick up virtually at all on certain pickup settings. Try experimenting?

The lower end pickups pick them up the best imo, but I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to all things guitar. Except how to play it, obvs.

I can do them like, 65% of the time on my friend's guitar (i think an ESP something something, been a while) but other than that, I struggle lol. And yeah, I switch my pickups around and everything and I still can't do them on purpose. I do them on accident occasionally but I can never intentionally recreate them, at least on my current guitar, which is just a basic Schecter Omen 6
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Of course there is.
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Articles uploaded on 04/01

Seems legit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by ElMaco
I've been playing for 11 and they sometimes happen

They're kinda silly anyway so whatever
On wound strings, I can only do them by accident. Normally right after failing to do it on purpose, so it sounds even worse, because it's kind of like when Father Ted insists he can do the chord change in My Lovely Horse.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
We likely have certain inherent traits which generally correlate with talents seen in man-made life.

I would argue that if a virtuoso guitarist had started on piano instead they would remain exceptionally skilled providing the initial virtuosity was partially that "innate" skill. I'd see it absurd to say that it's actually a natural talent for music.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 28, 2016,
To relate this to guitar, read a book called "Guitar Zero" by Gary Marcus. The author is a developmental psychologist who seeks to force himself to learn guitar, despite not appearing to have any inherent musical ability. He also does a lot of (easy to understand) analysis of a wide number of studies around the whole "Nature vs Nurture" debate.

It's pretty good reading
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I feel like I was born with a natural talent for batting in baseball, strangely enough I just thought about this last night. My brother has told me in the past that it seemed as if I was "born" to hit. That being said, if that's really the case then man did I blow that one.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
To a degree, maybe, but I think a lot of people use "I have no talent" as an excuse to not put any effort into getting better at something. Most people can do most things pretty well with determination, persistence, and discipline - things most people lack.
Quote by StewieSwan
lmao how can you guys not do pinch harmonics?
Because we're not lame enough.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Because we're not lame enough.

spoken like someone who can't do 'em
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
spoken like someone who can't do 'em
Spoken like a cunt.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by RylanThePotato
I can do them like, 65% of the time on my friend's guitar (i think an ESP something something, been a while) but other than that, I struggle lol. And yeah, I switch my pickups around and everything and I still can't do them on purpose. I do them on accident occasionally but I can never intentionally recreate them, at least on my current guitar, which is just a basic Schecter Omen 6

Depending on what fret you are on it makes a difference where you pick on the string at least in my experience.

If pinching a harmonic were as easy as pinching a loaf we could all be Zakk Wylde amirite!

As far as natural talent some people are absolutely born with it my brother was one of them he can draw anything, play music, sing, airbrushing etc. although TBH he wastes his talent and works as assistant manager at an auto parts store. He carves badass custom artwork on guitars and I have been trying to get him to carve one of mine for 4 years now.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I think humans are capable of doing anything perfectly if the interest and access to the thing is provided early enough.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
haha this pinch harmonic thing is good example. I have trouble with them too, but apparently slapsymcdougal has no problem with. Im terrible at speed tremolo picking. I tried so many times and had teachers show the technique but i just can't move that fast, but hey my friend just picks up the guitar and nails it first try. smh
^Just grip the pick close to the tip, and when you hit the string, do it deep and rigid. And kind of twist your wrist up fast as you strike it. Like a demonic cobra. MAKE IT SCREAM.

t. Person that can pinch harmonic... and sweep
50% natural talent, 50% hard work and determination. You need both to fly high.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY