http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/element

I'm not super excited about the fact that it doesn't have any physical controls... but I've dealt with all-digital interfaces for the past few years and they're less of a hassle than I thought they'd be... The real intriguing part to me is the Control unit you can buy for it. Too bad it's an extra cost, but the capabilities look intriguing.

Might have to consider the 88 to replace my Metric Halo once they start hitting the used market. I'd really rather be on Thunderbolt than using a FW/TB converter. Curious to see how these stack up to the new Ensembles and others in their range. I haven't seen any mention of the gain range on the pres, which will most likely be the biggest deciding factor for me.

Thoughts?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Interesting.

Yeah not a fan of no physical controls.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The control remote for $200 really sells me on the idea. That said, $1700 for the rig is about $200 more than a Focusrite Clarett 8PreX so I'm torn. I have been an Apogee guy for years now, though, so I'll likely stay loyal and go for the Element 88.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Looks good to me but the lack of preamp gain knobs will probably be a drag down the line. Just think about it - every time you have to move up and down with a mouse or something else that could be done with one knob adjustment. Sure - you can do it from your phone or tablet or whatever, but it is still a drag...I just see where that can annoy the hell outta me on a session Probably it'll be better with the controller...
Otherwise - everything looks great!
Aren't Apogee Apple only as well?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by the chemist
Aren't Apogee Apple only as well?

Yup. Now, I'm not saying this doesn't happen with PCs, but my Mac/Apogee system has never one let me down for a second. Always rock solid everything and it's always immediately compatible with every OS update/upgrade. Again, that experience isn't exclusive to Macs but it's definitely a perk of a closed system like this.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by diabolical
It usually doesn't happen in Windows man

I'd agree with this. In all my years of Windows based recording, I've never had updates to wither the drivers or OS break anything I use regularly.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
The usual culprit for Windows is shoddily written ASIO drivers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah I'm curious how well controlling I input gain works digitally. It'd be great if it had a built in sensor, kinda like a limiter, where you could test the source and it'd bump the gain down to a predefined level you'd set. That'd make setting things up a breeze, but the software would have to be spot-on.

I've dealt with digitally controlled outputs for years and have never had an issue there. Yeah, not having a physical knob can make quick changes a bit more difficult, but I find once I set my output levels, I rarely have to adjust them. The one thing that'd be nice is a dedicated mute button for output groups, but it's something I could live without.

Then again, almost all of the shortcomings seem to be made up with by the controller. Sure, it's an extra cost, but it also allows you to mount the interface out of reach and have still have full control over everything.

Tbh, I haven't really done much research on the higher end Focusrites. As much as I loved the Pro 40 and ISA428 in the past, they've never been a company I think of when I hear "world class conversion." Usually it's more like "most stable system for the money" :P
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com