I know all the Line 6 spiders get hate around here, and I agree for the most part. My old one was only good for practicing.

But who has seen the latest one?

Looks like they are trying to make it much better with things like multiple amp models and separate cab models like their pods and higher end modellers have. Plus a built in wireless receiver and support for acoustic guitars...

I'm not gonna rush out and buy one when they come out. My old one sounded like a fart when turning up the volume, and probably the same will happen on these.

Just curious about what other people think and your initial opinions on what Line 6 is putting out.

Discuss
Some of the clips they had on their site sounded pretty decent, some of them (looking at you Rectifier) sounded like so much garbage.

I want them to be awesome, but with anything Spider, I'm holding my breath. The look was somewhat refreshing, I like the simplicity.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain I'm hoping it's good as well. Can't keep tricking people into buying poop.
With the cab sims, it looks like they won't be making a head version. Kinda lame for those who prefer stacks. But at the same time, it eliminates one option for them

I've actually gutted my spider iv for the cab. Runing my Orange through it for recording. Its not a horible speaker when running a decent amp through it.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 28, 2016,
dspellman Not sure if they were released yet. I just saw the advert recently.
Quote by dspellman
I've seen it, but haven't tried it.

Well get your ass down there to their shop and report back!!!

the video I saw had awful tone. the patch used should be called Guitar Center On A Saturday Afternoon. I hope the amp can do better, if not then it's gonna get buried by the competition.
Quote by dementiacaptain

We need a guinea pig for this, and my local guitar center is slow to get things!
Quote by Liaztraht
We need a guinea pig for this, and my local guitar center is slow to get things!

Well supposedly Spellman has been by the workshop before, so...
Quote by monwobobbo
the video I saw had awful tone. the patch used should be called Guitar Center On A Saturday Afternoon. I hope the amp can do better, if not then it's gonna get buried by the competition.
Just like the others.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Well supposedly Spellman has been by the workshop before, so...
Then we should know by now!
From what I've heard from demos, it sounds like history is repeating itself. Amps like the Peavey Vypyr are just so vastly superior and have always made the Spider amps completely redundant.

The priorities Line 6 had when designing this amp seem to defy common sense. If they've failed at designing an amp modeler to have more accurate amp models, then they've got bigger problems to solve than than allowing you to max out the gain on the insane channel using an iphone. Being able to max the gain and scoop the mids with my phone fixes a problem that never fucking existed. Why did simply adjusting the amp's controls at the amp ever need reinventing?

But I suppose 'better amp models' isn't as marketable on the amp's box than stating that you can adjust the amount of angry bees coming out the amp without even needing to unglue your eyes from Pokemon Go.

It actually annoys me that even if the product is shit, they'll still sell millions of them to kids that don't know any better.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 29, 2016,
Meh, it's one of many modeling amps on the market that serves a purpose for a niche segment of musicians out there. Not gunna knock it. Just isn't my thing. Never owned a Line 6 amp, never will. Nothing against them, but I've got the amps that I want. I don't need 200 different thingamajigs to do what I do.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Eh I wouldn't say that just yet. Not a one of us has actually played it, so it's hard to say anything yet. I'll admit I'm not optimistic, but I'm willing to wait until I can hear one in person
dementiacaptain Honestly, I'm hoping they pull it off. They've got the features, so if they can get their tones on par with the vipers gain and the mustangs cleans then we might have a winner.

But that is dreaming big. The last thing we need is an amplified fart you can control with your iphone
Quote by Liaztraht
Sounds like every one agrees. More crap.

Everyone "agrees" without anyone ever having heard a single one in person?
Quote by dementiacaptain

I can actually do that...
Quote by dspellman
Agrees in thoughts and initial opinions based off of the posted demos.

But of course you cannot fully judge it by a recording.

I'm going to keep an eye out at guitar center. They will eventually show up.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 28, 2016,
Quote by dspellman

To be fair I don't really think anyone's cynicism is at fault considering the embarrassing messages it gives off when even Line 6 miserably failed to make their own product sound any good. It's entirely the responsibility of their marketing department to promote the product at nothing less than the highest standard. Making it sound as shitty as it did is completely inexcusable and it is not the fault of anyone but Line 6 themselves for people to assume that the product is garbage. It makes me question why I should even be motivated to try it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE If that is how they really sound, then I don't even want to try one. For their price range, there are many options significantly better. Like 20 used fender frontman 15g amps and enough aby pedals to run them all at once. That should push enough air
I think YouTube videos are going to have to get a lot better quality before I'll ever buy something based on one.

That said, Line 6 will likely sell a ton of these (just as they have the rest of the Spider series) based on in-person trial runs. When it comes to beginner gear, forums are mostly irrelevant. There are a huge number of beginners at UG relative to other forums, but most beginners walk into a store (with friends or parents) and have one of the sales people demo the gear right then and there. If a salesperson shows you the ten best (or even the five best) settings, that's usually good for the sale.

And yes, they're probably going to have to bump the demo quality to qualify for online sales.

I wonder if they're going to be at the LA Amp Show this weekend. If you're anywhere in the SoCal area, and you've never been to an LA Amp Show, you HAVE to make it. http://ampshow.com/ There's nothing like it anywhere (except for the NY Amp Show and wherever they have the in between one....Dallas?) in terms of the ability to crank an amp and really hear it *literally* in a bedroom environment, to rub shoulders with bona fide legends in terms of rock stars AND builders/constructors. Shorts, t-shirts and flops -- everyone is wearing the same stuff and hanging around dinking with amps, cabs, FX, modelers, etc., for two whole days, and you'll see things you'll not see anywhere else (definitely not at a GC).
Quote by dspellman
I think YouTube videos are going to have to get a lot better quality before I'll ever buy something based on one.

You're very fortunate, most people throughout the world don't have a choice.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're very fortunate, most people throughout the world don't have a choice.

YouTube has been around for 10 years (since about 2005). EVERYONE bought *everything* without benefit of YouTube before that.

Really, it's only been within the last five years that it's really become commonplace (with everyone running video on their iPhones), and even if you're using really high quality mikes (most aren't), the encoding of YouTube videos guarantees relatively crappy sound quality.

Why, in MY day, Sonny (suddenly forgets what he was going to say, remembers his teeth are in the glass next to the bed and points his walker back toward the hallway)... Get Off My Grass!
Quote by dspellman
YouTube has been around for 10 years (since about 2005). EVERYONE bought *everything* without benefit of YouTube before that.

You're forgetting that with the advent of online retailing, what few brick and mortar music stores where there are rapidly disappearing. Leaving the consumer with no alternative in many cases. If you think guitars in brick and mortar stores are still within reach for most people, that's probably due to the fact that you live in a California-shaped bubble where all the major guitar companies are based at every street corner.

Being able to try out a specific guitar model that you might want has always been a problem for most people in the world because guitar store inventories can only be so large. You had to specially order the guitar you wanted in that situation and without the luxury of trying the guitar before buying it and you still have to do that now.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're forgetting that with the advent of online retailing, what few brick and mortar music stores where there are rapidly disappearing. Leaving the consumer with no alternative in many cases. If you think guitars in brick and mortar stores are still within reach for most people, that's probably due to the fact that you live in a California-shaped bubble where all the major guitar companies are based at every street corner.

Being able to try out a specific guitar model that you might want has always been a problem for most people in the world because guitar store inventories can only be so large. You had to specially order the guitar you wanted in that situation and without the luxury of trying the guitar before buying it and you still have to do that now.

You're absolutely correct, I do live in a unique bubble within southern california. But I grew up and started my professional music career in Dubuque, Iowa, a town of 50,000 farmers and John Deere Tractor plant workers about 180 miles west of Chicago. In short, regarding "most people in the world," been there, done that. And you still have to specifically order the guitar you want without trying it first if you live there.
When I had my spider iv, it was possible to make it sound half decent. But I really had to sit there for hours slightly tweaking each setting. And it only worked for the volume range I was playing at. If I turned it up or down I had do it all again. The eq on it never did much, even when using the multiband eq after the gain stage. The one you have to access in the settings screen. I always pushed the amps mids and the multiband's mids and cut the bass but it was always scooped sounding.
Its as if they purposly gave you that "bedroom" tone as your only option.

Then I ran a metal zone and an MXR prime through a cheap Fender solid state head and it sounded much better. And cut better in a band setting.

As for the demos, I listened to the recorded tone samples posted on their info page...
For online audio samples, it's easy to record them well, mix and master them properly and post them in a nice lossless audio codec like .wav or .flac...
They did not. It honestly sounded worse than the video demo. You would think that given the possible budget a large company would have, they would attempt to make the amp sound better through studio trickery, but they didn't.

By the sound of things I will keep recomending the better analog solid state amps in their price range and the budget friendly tube amps AND the vypers over line 6. Even with the newest edition.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 29, 2016,
What the IV did *should be* immaterial when considering the V.

Except that it certainly biased your judgment .

One interesting and notable thing is that the V comes with a 1" tweeter (well the one with the 12" speaker does) that allows you to use it as an acoustic guitar amp as well as for electric. I would imagine that recording the pair of speakers together (notice that there are two mikes) and mixing them challenged them a bit.

I think it's going to be interesting to hear these with all four speaker complements: 8", 10", 12" and 2x12" -- I'm guessing they'll all be different.
Quote by dspellman
What the IV did *should be* immaterial when considering the V

Should that also apply to any future Marshall MGs?
I don't have anything against the spider amps, but I will say that I don't ever remember so many good options in the mid to low priced amp range, and I believe that is why it gets so much negative responses.

When I think about what is available now compared to options back in 1985 (my Peavey Backstage Plus), it is a great time to be a beginner.
Quote by MAChiefs
I don't have anything against the spider amps, but I will say that I don't ever remember so many good options in the mid to low priced amp range, and I believe that is why it gets so much negative responses.

When I think about what is available now compared to options back in 1985 (my Peavey Backstage Plus), it is a great time to be a beginner.

Hell its a good time to be a guitar player of any level. Think about the number of great options you have for a giggable rig. I could easily put together a stage-worthy rig with a grand, especially if I went used.

Even though popular music has less and less guitar in it, hobby guitar playing seems to be booming
Quote by Liaztraht
Should that also apply to any future Marshall MGs?

Benefit of the doubt.
Also applies to Big Nasty Redheads.
Quote by dspellman
What the IV did *should be* immaterial when considering the V.

Except that it certainly biased your judgment .

One interesting and notable thing is that the V comes with a 1" tweeter (well the one with the 12" speaker does) that allows you to use it as an acoustic guitar amp as well as for electric. I would imagine that recording the pair of speakers together (notice that there are two mikes) and mixing them challenged them a bit.

I think it's going to be interesting to hear these with all four speaker complements: 8", 10", 12" and 2x12" -- I'm guessing they'll all be different.

shouldn't but we're human and we all know that there will be some bias based on past events. just saw another video that demonstrated a wider range of tones. definitely better than the first video but still not wowing me. I thought it was a bit of a cheat to use a Variax in the vid. yeah I know Line 6 guitar but no mention of what the guitar was set at bothered me. they also tended to throw in fx which if done after playing the tone without first would have been way better.

seems like a better amp the the IV but not sure if that is really saying all that much. will be interested in trying one when I get a chance.
Ola did a high quality demo of the Spider IV and overproduced the hell out of it but still it sounded quite bland. The truth is that GC employees have better sales margins on these amps so they push them like crazy thanks to the higher commissions.
diabolical Ola can make anything sound at least half decent. Except the spider i guess
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 30, 2016,