Hi guys, I was watching an episode of That Pedal Show and they feature an amp called the Hamstead Artist 20. It sounds gorgeous! They talk about the amp and say that it's cathode-biased 2 EL34s, and the only other amps they mention that do that are a Matchless Chieftain and the H&K Puretone. I was just wondering what other low wattage amps run dual EL34s in this setup. Orange Rocker 30, Marshall's new mini jubilee, and Fargen Mini-plex come to mind, but I don't know if any of those fit the bill.

Anyway, I'm asking because I'd love a Marshall-ish amp to run edge of breakup in stereo with my silverface Princeton Reverb. The main drawback to the amps above (save for the Jubilee) is that they're all pretty heavy for having to bring two amps somewhere, and going head and cab is just even more stuff to carry. Am I better off just sticking two EL34s in an Egnater Tweaker 15 combo and running with that? I feel like that wouldn't be very authentic, but might get me close enough to justify the budget and weight difference.

But just for the sake of discussion, which other amps are cathode-biased dual EL34? I'm interested because I've been searching the net and can't find much. Yes, I know I won't be able to play stereo a lot of places, and that's fine. It's just for fun. Yes, I know I could go with EL84s. But just for discussion...

tl;dr low wattage dual EL34 amps, bonus points for lightweight combo/affordable
Ben
some single-ended amps can take el34s, but they probably won't sound the same either. just bear in mind that the circuit affects the tone a good bit more than the tubes- yes, the tubes will affect the tone a bit (especially if the amp's turned up), but the circuit affects it more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are no amps that come to mind immediatlely, but just a little clarification that could help in your search: What your looking for is probably not actually cathode biasing (the style of biasing does not determine the output of an amp), but class A amplification (dual EL34 in Class A should give about 20 Watt). While they often come in pairs, one does not necessarily invoke the other.

If you want to know a bit more about the technicalities I recommend you read this:
http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/the-last-word-on-class-a
Quote by ~Luke~
There are no amps that come to mind immediatlely, but just a little clarification that could help in your search: What your looking for is probably not actually cathode biasing (the style of biasing does not determine the output of an amp), but class A amplification (dual EL34 in Class A should give about 20 Watt). While they often come in pairs, one does not necessarily invoke the other.

If you want to know a bit more about the technicalities I recommend you read this:

Yeah I figured we would get into this haha. I remember reading about this when I was younger and whenever something like this would pop up someone would write "NOT ACTUALLY CLASS A" or something similar. Thanks for the link, man!

I appreciate the suggestions, guys. Here's the link to the episode for anyone interested. Their discussion begins at around 16:00.

Ben
Without getting into the clipping diode, the Blackstar HT-20 is a 20W cathode-biased EL34 amp. Not well liked (for numerous reasons on this board), but thought I would mention. it does have the range of very clean to very heavy gain.
Quote by MAChiefs
Without getting into the clipping diode, the Blackstar HT-20 is a 20W cathode-biased EL34 amp. Not well liked (for numerous reasons on this board), but thought I would mention. it does have the range of very clean to very heavy gain.
^This.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by ~Luke~

I think you have that backwards. Most amps which are claimed to be class A actually aren't, and are actually normally cathode-biased.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think you have that backwards. Most amps which are claimed to be class A actually aren't, and are actually normally cathode-biased.

I don't get why this goes against what he said? It seems like he was just suggesting that what TS was probably looking for WAS a class A amp, and not one that was cathode biased.

I may have missed something though
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Lonestar Special from Mesa I believe is class A with El34's and can be set to 30 watts, 15 watts or 5 watts ( check the site and specs to be sure). I own the 1x12 combo and it's the best sounding amp I've ever played through and it smokes anything at lower volumes - great design. I usually leave it on 30 watts - and you can get great tones even at bedroom levels.

It's a pricey amp though.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I don't get why this goes against what he said? It seems like he was just suggesting that what TS was probably looking for WAS a class A amp, and not one that was cathode biased.

I may have missed something though

I think you might have. He's telling him to look for class A amps, and the vast majority of (non-single-ended) amps which are described as class A aren't. They're actually cathode-biased. What he (probably) wants is amps with EL34s which are cathode-biased. Which is what he knew already before ~Luke~ came in to confuse things.

Quote by reverb66
Lonestar Special from Mesa I believe is class A with El34's and can be set to 30 watts, 15 watts or 5 watts ( check the site and specs to be sure).

Nope, and, er, nope. It's not class A (or at least I very strongly suspect it's not... the 5W mode may be, though, but that likely won't sound exactly the same as cathode-biased push-pull either, especially with different output tubes) and it has EL84s, not EL34s.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think you might have. He's telling him to look for class A amps, and the vast majority of (non-single-ended) amps which are described as class A aren't. They're actually cathode-biased. What he (probably) wants is amps with EL34s which are cathode-biased. Which is what he knew already before ~Luke~ came in to confuse things.

Nope, and, er, nope. It's not class A (or at least I very strongly suspect it's not... the 5W mode may be, though, but that likely won't sound exactly the same as cathode-biased push-pull either, especially with different output tubes) and it has EL84s, not EL34s.

Ah you're right I misunderstood.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
haha no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
single-ended is, i would highly doubt the higher wattage settings are, despite what oul randall says.

and lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by reverb66
Lonestar Special from Mesa I believe is class A with El34's and can be set to 30 watts, 15 watts or 5 watts ( check the site and specs to be sure). I own the 1x12 combo and it's the best sounding amp I've ever played through and it smokes anything at lower volumes - great design. I usually leave it on 30 watts - and you can get great tones even at bedroom levels.

It's a pricey amp though.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Lonestar Special is EL84 tubes. I'm seriously thinking of buying one right now to round out my collection.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I want a picovalve or flexi someday.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/