Hey everybody.. I've had this '76 Black Mustang for a while now, and I've never been happy with the finish on the neck or body so I want to re-do some of it. I have checked the Ultimate Refinishing Thread, but didn't see answers to my specific questions. Sorry if this has all been covered already.

My number one priority is playability, and therefore refinishing the neck. I have some pictures:

And more: http://imgur.com/a/um0Qm

Basically the previous owner played the **** out of this thing and the finish is worn through down to the wood on the top of the neck, and on the fingerboard. My first instinct is to sand it all down, and just coat it with Tru-Oil or something like that. I don't really like the feel of lacquered necks anyway. Is that okay for a maple neck? And can I sand it with the frets in-place? I feel confident in my skills to do the woodwork, but not a re-fret job so I'd love to leave them in place if possible. Should I sand off the finish on the fretboard as well, or just leave that as is? There are sections where it's basically just sweat-stained bare wood (see pictures).

Second priority is the body, but I've heard the finishes from this era are notoriously hard to remove. I'm thinking with a heat gun I can strip it all down, sand, then just leave some oil finish (I like the natural look). Also want to lock down the tremolo bridge, or just replace with a hardtail. Are there any bridges that are drop in replacements?

Thanks for the help.. I realize I'm kind of all over the place, but I really love this guitar and I want to make it the best it can be. And I don't want to completely ruin it. It's not a 60's Strat, but it's my only "vintage" Fender.