Page 1 of 2
Let's be honest your average tween hasn't heard a power chord. Even I think the rock band setup has gotten bland, distorted power chords and shred guitar got old and overworn, just seems like every Avenue has been exp,or ed now. Mainstream pop is all about vocal melody, hardly any instruments, they multi track vocal ohs into chords. The live band setup is also pretty boring now, who wants to watch sweaty dudes prance around when u can watch sweaty dudes crush each other in the nfl instead. There's just better entertainment options now. Guitar music needs someone to reinvent the whee, add another dimension to live music, and get out of the pentatonic scale, plus amplification hasn't kept up with tech advancements.

I find royal blood an interesting project because the bass almost is like a synth guitar hybrid, and single notes on a bass are fuller sound live. Good songwriting and singing will always be what perks ears. Tool new album could be cool because the melodic bass ands another dimension.

Anyway, just thinking out loud, any new music I should check out let me know.
Guitar music has made a comeback, but not really in the form of rock guitar, but more in the pop acoustic stuff like Passenger, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and so on.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by soundgarden1986
cant tell you how many times ive seen this thread in the 10 years ive been here

Imagine in another 10 years time when all the kids are making threads like "Will the MacBook ever make a comeback?"
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Dude, prog metal has never been better, guitar has just gained strength outside of the banal mainstream.

Just listen to all this.

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
That clip in the middle is absolutely terrible
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Mono-culture is dead. Don't confuse what you hear on the radio as "mainstream" - there's no such thing anymore. We have a crazy musical genre buffet of choices today thanks to the proliferation of music through the internet. We're no longer tied to radio/MTV. In fact, today's pop music is more akin to instagram/snapchat - here today, and completely forgotten tomorrow. Which is fine - it caters to that generation/taste. But there's so much more out there today.
I'm more talking about songs with vocals. Never been into the shred stuff but respect the talent. To me it takes more talent to write and play a catchy song with lyrics etc. I just think nowadays there's better tonal options than the distorted power chord for musicians who want to write songs.
Quote by Duce180
I'm more talking about songs with vocals. Never been into the shred stuff but respect the talent. To me it takes more talent to write and play a catchy song with lyrics etc. I just think nowadays there's better tonal options than the distorted power chord for musicians who want to write songs.

Correct
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I don't understand your point.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11
I don't understand your point.

I'm with RAB.....your point is making no sense, you hate powerchords but if I post non power chord related music you'd rather listen to music with powerchords?

Da fuq?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Duce180
Let's be honest your average tween hasn't heard a power chord.

The live band setup is also pretty boring now, who wants to watch sweaty dudes prance around when u can watch sweaty dudes crush each other in the nfl instead.

Are you gay, son? It's okay if you are, it's current year and no one is going to give you grief.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Royal Blood suck

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
well he's right eh zgr
i don't like football and would still rather watch an NFL game than some sweaty old rockers badly play music i don't care about
Quote by institutions
well he's right eh zgr
i don't like football and would still rather watch an NFL game than some sweaty old rockers badly play music i don't care about

This is how I know you're trying to trigger me.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by institutions
well he's right eh zgr
And I'd rather watch sweaty old rockers play music I don;t care about that watch an NFL game I care even fucking less about.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It never went away. Guitar as the focus did, but the instrument remains insanely popular because it's one of the few you can sing and play at the same time. The piano and the guitar will never go away
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
It never went away. Guitar as the focus did, but the instrument remains insanely popular because it's one of the few you can sing and play at the same time. The piano and the guitar will never go away
They will if people waste their time making music videos....

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
They will if people waste their time making music videos....

or if people learn how to do pinch harmonics
PM me for newts
Quote by chrismendiola
Make Guitar Great Again™

I'm going to consider a new amp and make THEM pay for it.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by StewieSwan
or if people learn how to do pinch harmonics
Why would I do that?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EpiExplorer
Dude, prog metal has never been better

Prog metal has never been more of a steaming pile of pseudo progressive directionless noodlefest shit. There's all these modern bands that are neither progressive nor metal and they have zero sense of melody or songwriting and yet people still listen to them just because they wiggle their fingers fast and play a ton of sus2 arpeggios. It's ridiculous.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Sayonara6String
Don't confuse what you hear on the radio as "mainstream" - there's no such thing anymore.

complete load of bullshit lol
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Prog metal has never been more of a steaming pile of pseudo progressive directionless noodlefest shit. There's all these modern bands that are neither progressive nor metal and they have zero sense of melody or songwriting and yet people still listen to them just because they wiggle their fingers fast and play a ton of sus2 arpeggios. It's ridiculous.

Amen
PM me for newts
so many mathcore/prog bands are still putting out great music this year, like periphery, dance gavin dance, deftones, etc
and even TOOL might release an album in the next 2 years ...

proof that "rock guitar" music is still VERY relevant and young teens are still into the gig!
speaking of rock music, check out my band !
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
so many mathcore/prog bands are still putting out great music this year, like periphery, dance gavin dance, deftones, etc
and even TOOL might release an album in the next 2 years ...

proof that "rock guitar" music is still VERY relevant and young teens are still into the gig!
speaking of rock music, check out my band !
Deftones are mathcore/prog?

When did that happen?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Deftones are mathcore/prog?

When did that happen?

U KN0W WAT I MEEEEENNN!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Quote by Bladez22
Also dance Gavin dance are swancore

does it djent?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Bladez22
Occasionally

clearly not br00talz enough
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

have you ever noticed you can barely appreciate a bass player or a drummer in a video? here is your two second flash. back to singers face and the guitar strings
Quote by i_lovemetallica
That clip in the middle is absolutely terrible

this song is way better

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Page 1 of 2