Hey folks,

Was wondering if anybody had any experience with some of the Waves stuff, particularly their compressor plugins? They are having a sale on a ton of plugins and I was thinking of grabbing one of them to dink around with. Currently Im just using the compressor that comes with Reaper but since the sale looks decent I was considering upgrading if it was worth it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've used most of their stuff when I was doing Pro Tools production and they're decent. Studio One's built in plugins for the most part now have taken out the need for me to buy Waves stuff but they're not bad. I remember their validation schemes being a b*tch.
For the most part I love their Renaissance plugins, especially the Renaissance compressor that can switch tons of characters and the Ultra Maximizer is always so ever popular for mastering.

If you're looking for a vintage style compressor/limiter with a character, I'd recommend Frontier D16 which I think now is free. Also check out the Camel Phat plugin which is a compressor that lets you add some "hair" to the sound (sadly now discontinued) but might work for you as it works on my DAW:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/camelphatfree-by-camel-audio/details. The

TBH I find for the most part the Waves stuff way overpriced. If I'd really like to have something from them it would be the Maximizer.
Quote by diabolical
I've used most of their stuff when I was doing Pro Tools production and they're decent. Studio One's built in plugins for the most part now have taken out the need for me to buy Waves stuff but they're not bad. I remember their validation schemes being a b*tch.
For the most part I love their Renaissance plugins, especially the Renaissance compressor that can switch tons of characters and the Ultra Maximizer is always so ever popular for mastering.

If you're looking for a vintage style compressor/limiter with a character, I'd recommend Frontier D16 which I think now is free. Also check out the Camel Phat plugin which is a compressor that lets you add some "hair" to the sound (sadly now discontinued) but might work for you as it works on my DAW:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/camelphatfree-by-camel-audio/details. The

TBH I find for the most part the Waves stuff way overpriced. If I'd really like to have something from them it would be the Maximizer.

The renaissance is 29 bucks right now. How did you find it? The other comps are like 39 on sale so thats why I was more interested in the waves stuff. I wasnt looking at dropping a ton of cash hence why i asking about Waves cause they have a sale
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The Renaissance can switch character so you can do vintage, opto and modern type of compression. It sounds great on pretty much anything you throw it on.
I like it a lot. You should try the Maximizer for your mastering, I think you're in for a surprise on how much level you can squeeze out of it.
Thanks. Ill check out the maximizer plugin as well!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Just tried the D16 link but the create account function seems screwy...asks for a serial number of a purchased product.

I also saw the waves sale but the one i'm more interested in (CLA-76) is still $99 whereas the 2 and 3 are cheaper but are maybe less versatile/more subtle (no 'all in' mode).

EDIT: Yah "Frontier is available only for registered D16 software users, who have purchased any product in the past or will do it in the future. It is available free of charge."
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Sep 30, 2016,
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Just tried the D16 link but the create account function seems screwy...asks for a serial number of a purchased product.

I also saw the waves sale but the one i'm more interested in (CLA-76) is still $99 whereas the 2 and 3 are cheaper but are maybe less versatile/more subtle (no 'all in' mode).

EDIT: Yah "Frontier is available only for registered D16 software users, who have purchased any product in the past or will do it in the future. It is available free of charge."

Ouch, okay they're still doing some screwy stuff then. I did get mine via the Computer Music June 2016 issue:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/computer-music-ultimate-freeware-2016-issue-230-june-2016-637209

My bad, Frontier said "free". Write their customer support if you want, they might be able to help since their site says it is free? It is really good.

You might be looking for a Distressor type of plugin, I have this one which ends up on a lot of my mixes:
http://www.cocellproductions.com/Pensadia/sor8.html

Try the Classic Limiter by Kjaernus:
http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm

Also the JB BUndle which I have is freeware but now no d/load. PM me if you want it:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/10/26/jeroen-breebaart-vst-plugins-are-freeware/
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 30, 2016,
I ended up grabbing the Renaissance Comp and the Renaissance Reverb with the sale. After discounts I got 'em both for 58 bucks so I'm pretty happy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I use very few Waves plugins (Massive system hogs), and recommend the Steven Slate VMR (Virtual Mix Rack).
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Funny you should mention SS - I own SSD4 which I am pleased with and was going to purchase the standalone RC-Tube console as a cheap introduction to his other plugins (was $49 with upgrade option) but he appears to have removed that option with the change over to the new subscription purchase plans (though can still purchase standalone packs).
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Funny you should mention SS - I own SSD4 which I am pleased with and was going to purchase the standalone RC-Tube console as a cheap introduction to his other plugins (was $49 with upgrade option) but he appears to have removed that option with the change over to the new subscription purchase plans (though can still purchase standalone packs).

Everyone is going to a subscription based solution now. It makes it easier to manage.

Even Avid has subscriptions for Pro-Tools.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale