Against my usual luck, I seem to have won a brand new 2016 Fender MIM Deluxe Strat, with noiseless pickups and the "7-way" pickup selection button.

Now, this looks like a fantastic guitar, and I'm sure Gilmour fans especially would love it. However, it's not really very "me". I couldn't justify buying a new guitar, but now I have one, it seems sensible to try to trade it in for something more my style. I have a Squier Stat and two Les Pauls, mainly for rock/ stoner rock. Recently I was mildly obsessed with the EVH Circles guitar, as a hot-rodded Strat would give me some brighter, higher-gain sounds. But I've also seen the current Charvel San Dimas range, which has more tonal options, as well as a hard-tail version. I don't think I would want a full floating Floyd Rose. Then there's the Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, which has a "down only" FR, and the same compound radius on the neck, but is obviously a cheaper version.

Anyone have any advice on these guitars?
what bands are classified as "stoner rock" what do you want this guitar to do? is a trem system necessary for you at all?
Sorry, I should have said- this would be for a different sound. A brighter, sharper sound, clean and distorted. I used to play '90s/ '00s pop-punk, which the Fender neck scale seemed to give a brighter sound for, and I would like to try a more shred-friendly guitar and work on my technique. I'm not sure how I'd handle a Floyd Rose, but it would be an interesting alternative to have. A hard tail San Dimas seems to be the most versatile guitar, so I might get more out of it.
Yeah from what I've heard, if you don't absolute WANT a trem, then don't get one since they take more time to tune, adjust, etc.
Quote by tobin1634
Yeah from what I've heard, if you don't absolute WANT a trem, then don't get one since they take more time to tune, adjust, etc.
I see the logic in that, but I'm not sure such a rule of thumb is appropriate here - I think it comes down entirely to the individual really. Of course, if you're going to get a Floyd you ought to be clear what kind of things that entails in terms of restringing and setup and stuff (and how to do these things without making it into an absolute palaver), but unless you really need to switch tunings regularly (which personally I don't much like to do on a hardtail either since it makes for a crappy setup on anything other than the tuning you set it up for) I don't think there are any substantial disadvantages to a good, quality Floyd. It's pretty much the upper limit of possible tuning stability (i.e. beating a hardtail with a straight-pull headstock, no string trees and a graphite nut etc.) and since it's a floating setup it can do pretty much anything any other trem system can do. Obviously it does the Floyd Rose thing as well as anything else, but it's perfectly good for jazzy vibratos like a Bigsby or an offset trem, with many times the stability.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
K33nbl4d3 The guitar would be set up in standard and probably left that way. With a D-Tuna coming on the EVH if I got that, and the possibility to add it to the Jackson as the FR sits on the body, I would probably switch to drop D sometimes, but no big deal if I got a Charvel that couldn't.
luke.g.henderso
In that case, the major disadvantage of a Floyd is basically not an issue for you. That, of course, doesn't mean it'll be ideal for you, but just don't imagine that they're a perpetual chore that only the most dedicated dive-bombers are able to put up with. On the contrary, once you've set it up the chances are you won't need to get out your Allen wrenches again for some time. Equally you may still prefer a Bigsby or a Strat trem or a Kahler or a simple Stopbar and TOM or whatever, but Floyds are ubiquitous on superstrats for a reason.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
if you like the neck, if so, swap in some buckers in there and shred away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't use the bar on my Squier Strat, but I think that if it was a FR I could really go to town with then I might be tempted to try some EVH/ Mick Mars shenanigans.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you like the neck, if so, swap in some buckers in there and shred away.

I've started modding my mid-'90s Squier, if I put some locking tuners and a Wilkinson trem on that, would I be able to get some wider-range action on that? Enough to be a hobby shred guitar?
Quote by luke.g.henderso
I've started modding my mid-'90s Squier, if I put some locking tuners and a Wilkinson trem on that, would I be able to get some wider-range action on that? Enough to be a hobby shred guitar?

you would likely not get much more range. for pull ups you would need to have the bridge recessed. for dive bombs it would still probably go out of tune if you went nuts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
trashedlostfdup

Considering that I have a whammy pedal, I think that if I can't find an EVH Circles guitar, then I will try to trade it for a hard tail San Dimas, I like the variety of sounds I've heard out of it. If nobody will trade it for a decent price, I will keep it and play funk, blues, and jangley stuff. Maybe with a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge.
luke.g.henderso

EVH has some of the best pups on the market right now. I am blown away by the Wolfgang & Frankenstein pups, they are amazing. I like the Wolfgang's better, but the Frankenstein's are good too.

If you don't want a FR, I'd check out the Charvel San Dumas. Comes in 4 different colors, Stratocaster body shape, hard tail string through the body, comes with classic SD JB in the bridge & 59s in the neck, maybe SD's most famous humbucking pups & to top it all off, Charvel is owned by Fender which also owns EVH & Jackson too.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
NewDayHappy

Thanks, I think that's what I'm leaning towards now, since I saw this video and the range of tones he gets out of it. I love that trans blue finish too.

JB, 59, coil split, and the same neck profile as the EVH and Adrian Smith models I think?
i played a few of the new charvels the other day at Sam Ash. i was very impressed across the board. pickups are pretty much a standard (not my personal favorite though). fit and finish was pretty nice as well.

here is its jackson 'brother' i liked a lot as well (as you will see, very similar. the only definitive advantage is the hi fretboard access. it has a different neck joint. i played a few of the pro series jacksons that day too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-dinky-dk2ht-electric-guitar
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by tobin1634
what bands are classified as "stoner rock"...

Umm...all bands?
trashedlostfdup Unfortunately, I could never bring myself to own a guitar with that style of headstock, just a personal thing.

Regarding Jacksons though, this was the one I was looking at, it seems like the only actual San Dimas they do:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/san-dimas/models/x-series-signature-adrian-smith-sdx-maple-fingerboard-snow-white/

It seems like the same neck as the EVH and Charvel guitars, with a surface-mounted Floyd Rose (Special, not Original), but made somewhere out East.

Currently, the best I could get for it trade-in is 66%, even though it's BNIB. So it looks like I'd have to try to sell it myself.
luke.g.henderso Yeah the resale will get you up the rear.

how bad do you want a floyd? if not, just throw a pair of the humbuckers of choice and play it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
luke.g.henderso Yeah the resale will get you up the rear.

how bad do you want a floyd? if not, just throw a pair of the humbuckers of choice and play it.

Thanks, yeah, I'm thinking I might just keep it, either stock, or maybe put a single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge. I will just modify my Squier to try to shred on. Or maybe pick up a second-hand Jackson Adrian Smith or EVH; there's a used red/ white/ black EVH at a store not far from me that's half the original RRP. Screw it.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Thanks, yeah, I'm thinking I might just keep it, either stock, or maybe put a single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge. I will just modify my Squier to try to shred on. Or maybe pick up a second-hand Jackson Adrian Smith or EVH; there's a used red/ white/ black EVH at a store not far from me that's half the original RRP. Screw it.

that is what i would do. its a solid guitar, use it for what it is. squiers are great for modding and experimenting. swap the pickups and scallop the frets if you want, you won't be wrecking anything overly pricey.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Decided to keep the guitar I won. Really like the neck, for some reason I just want to start playing with my thumb wrapped over the top of it. Also, I played it on the red channel of my Mesa Nomad (modern setting), backed the guitar's volume right down on the bridge pickup, it was an amazing, crisp clean sound. I loved it.
Picked up a second-hand EVH Striped guitar from a music store for half price. Great condition. YOLO!
Pics,congrat's on both scores!
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by twisty571
Pics,congrat's on both scores!

Thanks :-) Technically the EVH is a Christmas present, so I'm resisting the temptation to put my hands on it until then. But I have a couple of weeks off, will do some pics, a review, and maybe sone soundclips of the Fender.