Hello, I happen to be a guy whos playing guitar for 2-3 years while also playing in a school band (typical classic rock but i play prog/death/black at home) . My equipment is: Guitar: Behringer iaxe629 (ikr), Super-old but also in a perfect condition Cajavec GA-50 (50w Solid-state yugoslovean amp) and a Boss ME-20 Multi-FX. I think that the tone is pretty decent but it feels abit too digital so i wanted to change my gear abit. I have like 150 euros on me so i wanted to ask whether i should sell my guitar and buy a better one (150euros + cash from behringer + maybe my parents little donation :p?) or should i sell both the multi FX and my amp and get some modeling solid state or tube amp or maybe a third option that you would suggest to me? If you have any opinion please suggest me what should i buy, if its an amp, which one ?(with a price of up to 500-600 euros from store(store because i mostly buy things second-hand considering its alot cheaper).
I know that this thread was poorly created considering my english is not the best and also that i rarely make any threads on any forums in general,so dont be too harsh on me
Cheers!
thing to do is, if you can, figure out what the real problem is. if possible try some better amps with your guitar, and some better guitars with your amp, and see what makes the bigger difference. 500-600 euros is enough to get one pretty good piece of kit, but if you split it too much you get multiple things you might end up wasting your money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That guitar has to go first.

Then I don't know - maybe a pedal like one of the OKKO death metal ones or something like Warmpler Triple Wreck and the Boss multifx for effects, or get rid of the whole thing and go for a Peavey 6505 combo or something else that can do the metal stuff. The ME could be decent for effects, if you think you need effects so that you could possibly keep, up to you.

I'd definitely get rid of the guitar right away though, that's not doing you any favors.

As far as 500-600€ goes - that might be just a decent guitar or amp, so in that case I'll probably go for guitar. Maybe 400€ towards guitar and 200€ towards a pedal might do the job.

According to Thomann the Warmpler Triple Wreck is 330€ which is crazy expensive.

The KH-202 is nice:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_kh_202_blk_kirk_hammett.htm

and some kind of distortion pedal if needed could be purchased later.
Time to start working and bank some cash for quality gear. Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors or whatever it takes. If you earn it yourself you will appreciate it far more than if your parents fund you. Better guitar and amp I'd say. About 500E should get you in the game. Get really clear about your guitar influences and the music you wish to make. There are big differences in gear between country twang, AC/DC, and Death Metal.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 30, 2016,
Quote by diabolical

According to Thomann the Warmpler Triple Wreck is 330€ which is crazy expensive.

prohibitively so, i'd say. 330 euros will get you a jet city amp on thomann. heck ~370 euros will get you the 50 watt 1x12 combo. it's maybe a bit higher gain than classic rock, but it'd do at a pinch for that. or maybe a cheap pedal or two to run over the crunch channel would help with that- a cheap tubescreamer-style clone overdrive pedal is a good idea anyway with most tube amps, for heavier stuff too, to use as a boost, certainly a lot better than what he currently has. and the jet city isn't super-modern-sounding, it's more a 1980s high gain type of tone. there are lower gain jet city amps too (which i haven't tried) but then they'll not be as good for the heavier stuff he plays at home.

that would also leave a bit of money over to consider a new guitar (or be well on the way to affording one) as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Since the main issue that you describe is that your sound is somehow digital, I would first go for a tube amp that can handle distortion.
With 500-600 Euro I wouldn’t think of a tube amp for live performances. I would go for low wattage amp that can always handle live performances in small venues and even bigger with the use of PA and mics.

Some good amps that you can buy for the price are:
Blackstar HT-5R Metal
Peavey 6505 Mini Head + Cab
Egnater Tweaker + a booster pedal
Fender Bassbreaker 15 + a booster pedal

Of course you will also need a better guitar some time. You can get a decent one for 400 Euros.

Keep the Boss for the effects for now.
Last edited by eglaost at Oct 4, 2016,
Id keep the Boss Me-20 just because it has an abundance of effects on there that you may one day thing " that could use a little of this or that" (that's the only reason I'm holding on to my ME-50). But I recommend trying your guitar with new amps and your amp with new guitars too, Its worth narrowing down the issue before just swapping out and being stuck with the same issue, I had an old Stagg thing from the very very early days and I thought it was awful sounding until I tried it with a new amp and it was a whole new animal. its really really worth experimenting before you make a decision!
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by diabolical
Yeah but Behringer guutar, surely that ought to go first. They're awful.

lol, i've never tried them, but definitely if the guitar is really bad then that's a good idea. it's a bad thing to have too rigid guidelines, like "always get a new amp first".
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by eglaost
Since the main issue that you describe is that your sound is somehow digital, I would first go for a tube amp that can handle distortion.
With 500-600 Euro I wouldn’t think of a tube amp for live performances. I would go for low wattage amp that can always handle live performances in small venues and even bigger with the use of PA and mics.

Some good amps that you can buy for the price are:
Blackstar HT-5R Metal
Peavey 6505 Mini Head + Cab
Egnater Tweaker + a booster pedal
Fender Bassbreaker 15 + a booster pedal

Of course you will also need a better guitar some time. You can get a decent one for 400 Euros.

Keep the Boss for the effects for now.

the blackstar isn't all-tube. it's also likely not to be loud enough for his school band.

I haven't tried the other 3 (lol i haven't tried the blackstar either) but I'd have thought, apart from the peavey, that the jet city is likely to be better for higher gain stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Those Behringer guitars are a Fender knockoff, like a cheapest kind of Squier but with a somewhat thicker neck and action like a viola. A friend has one as he bought it as some kind of $120 amp, guitar+stand package at Sam's Club or Cosco.
If the guitar works for you then I would go amp first as the amp/speaker will do more to change your sound (usually) than the guitar. As some others have suggested plug your guitar into some of the amps you are considering and plug some guitars you are considering into your amp and see which situation changes your tone the most, then get that piece of gear.
Quote by diabolical
Those Behringer guitars are a Fender knockoff, like a cheapest kind of Squier but with a somewhat thicker neck and action like a viola. A friend has one as he bought it as some kind of $120 amp, guitar+stand package at Sam's Club or Cosco.

oof, not great then?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the answers, i have decided to take a Ibanez RG470fm (somewhat modded?) considering i have managed to wreck some frets on some strings which now give me zero tones, the action on this guitar past the 12th fret is ridiculous (Neck straight, action lowest possible) and that the pickups are somewhat noisy, and after that i have decided to sell both my amp and multifx and get myself something like laney lv300 (300Euro secondhand)
Last edited by unfamous6661 at Oct 5, 2016,
Quote by unfamous6661
Thanks for all the answers, i have decided to take a Ibanez RG470fm (somewhat modded?) considering i have managed to wreck some frets on some strings which now give me zero tones, the action on this guitar past the 12th fret is ridiculous (Neck straight, action lowest possible) and that the pickups are somewhat noisy, and after that i have decided to sell both my amp and multifx and get myself something like laney lv300 (300Euro secondhand)

You can get a Jet City amp for around 350€ from thomann i think. I used it for melodeath/metalcore and the crunch channel can do the crunchy hard rock tones. Its kinda lacking in the clean channel department, but if you roll of the gain enough on the crunch, you can get a passable clean. Im actually considering selling my JCA50 head, and if you have a yugoslavian amp, im guessing you cant live that far away from me (im from slovenia).

Then there are also the laney ironeharts that sound quite nice, and you can find used ones for pretty much the same budget.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.