I'm currently using an entry-level 6 string LTD M-50, and I'm looking to upgrade to a Chapman guitar (like the Rob Scallon signature) but there's two models, and one of them is an 8 string....so, it got me thinking, does having 8-strings drastically effect the tone of a guitar, even if the specs for the 6 string are identical? I know I'm a massive guitar noob and I've only recently started getting into the gear side of things, so I'm sorry if this is a total noob question.
All things being equal, no.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Not counting the extra two strings, an 8 string typically has a longer scale length (distance from the saddles on your bridge your strings go over through to the nut they rest on in the cut out slots just before the head stock).
This will typically give the guitar a brighter sound due to the harmonics or overtones or something the strings produce along with the initial fundamental note. I don't know the science behind it, just that it does.

If someone that knows the scientific part chimes in, they could explain it.

Basically the shorter scale of the 6 string version will sound like it has a bit more low end, while the 8 string would sound like it has less.

The longer scale helps intonation on the low strings, so can't really live without it
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 30, 2016,
eight strings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
In my experience, no. Of course, the lower strings has a unique tone to them, and you may want to control your tone on the bridge pickup, but it is generally in your strings. If you wanted to compensate for this, if it were a problem for you, you could have a multi-scale guitar - these are typically fan-fret guitars. Typically they keep your thin strings on a short scale and your wound strings on an exponentially longer scale. Generally speaking I would suggest that you have at least 27 inches scale length. 28 is even better.

If you are fairly new to guitar I would suggest that you try playing an 8 string first, and focus on using strings 2 through 7 - in real life, it's unlikely that you would use just the F# if it were your working axe. There's some adjustment needed due to how much room we usually give the low E string on 6 stringers - you don't have that room with the 7th and 8th ones in the way.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
eight strings.
This isn't The Pit. Mature yourself.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Banjocal don't take yourself too seriously.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Banjocal

This isn't The Pit. Mature yourself.

he posts in here more than you do
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There is a sort of tangential problem with tone in eight strings - you have less choice in pickups if you want to change them.

I have an eight string lap steel, which I use as a six string with two double courses. The extra strings are a pain in the sitting part, though the double courses add an interesting tonal texture.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 30, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
he posts in here more than you do
I apologise for valuing helpful answers over empty judgment and user status
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Tony Done
There is a sort of tangential problem with tone in eight strings - you have less choice in pickups if you want to change them.

I have an eight string lap steel, which I use as a six string with two double courses. The extra strings are a pain in the sitting part, though the double courses add an interesting tonal texture.

That problem is slowly diminishing as more and more companies are starting to offer ERG pickups.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Guitars are tools (some guitarists are tools, but I digress), and depending on what you do, an extended range guitar might be the best tool for the job. Or because you want one. That said, because of the number of strings, the neck is going to be different than a 6 stringer. If you want to do AC/DC and classic rock, an ERG doesn't make sense. Prog metal like Animals as Leaders, yeah, 8-string makes sense.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by Banjocal

apology noted.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ lol

Quote by Banjocal

that's a fair point, but that's not what my point was- i was just pointing out that it was a bit off, IMO, telling someone who's more of a regular here than you are that they aren't in the pit any more (when you probably spend more time in the pit than he does). and in a fairly passive aggressive manner.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think anything than a 6 string guitar is usually an overkill if you have a bassist that you want to give some parts to play...unless you get a bassist with a 6 string then you should be fine, you can do sub-bass stuff that an elephant can really jam to as probably only elephant's hearings go that low.

An 8 sounds definitely different compared to a regular guitar, the lower strings sound more like a distorted bass.

There's a reason why guitars have had 6 strings for a very very long time...but don't let that stop you.

I have a 7 string guitar and am begrudgingly using it in a new band I just joined

Seriously though - with good songwriting and arrangement, I think even a 7 string guitar would be excessive, but you won't have to downtune if you want to play C# or C tuning so that's the way I see it as being useful, an 8 string - if you do standard tuning will be
F# B E A D G B E
which is just ridiculous, especially under heavy distortion, I can see going to B but low F# just doesn't make sense.

My 2000 c.
I saw a map.
Over in one corner, there was an illustration of a particular location called the Pit.
And under it, the scrawled notation, "Here there be idiots."

...and sure enough...