Hi,

I´m a fan of Prince (Purple Rain is like an anthem to me).

I have started with guitar a month ago....and enjoying the ride so far.
I always try to devote 1 to 2 hours practice a day, but sometimes even more (weekends).
Practice time is split between online lessons and videos, things I already know how to do but want to keep on practicing, new things I need to cover, song playing and music theory. Also a lot of ear training. I´m on acoustic yet, but january next year I will switch to electric (or add electric and continue to play both). Just learning the basics on acoustic.

I have always loved this solo:

Do you believe that after a year of dedicated and continuous practice, and assuming I keep my practice schedule, that solo would be doable? Or after 2 years? It will be my dream come true when I finally can play that one!!!

Thanks!
If you practice 1 to 2 hours per day that solo will be accessible, it's not as hard as it seems, as is the case with most guitar solos. I suspect if you practice a lot and consistently you'll be playing that well within 2 years, if you focus a lot of time on soloing. Keep in mind, it will take you many more years than that to really perfect bends and vibratos, but you'll be able to do a decent version.
Quote by reverb66
Keep in mind, it will take you many more years than that to really perfect bends and vibratos, but you'll be able to do a decent version.

Not necessarily, but an awful lot of it is up in the air- how much you practise, how quickly you progress, if you've played other instruments before guitar, etc. etc. etc.. Kind of to the extent that any kind of prediction is kind of an exercise in futility. Is it possible? Sure. Does that mean you'll be able to do it?

Also is the solo in the vid he linked to the actual recorded version of the purple rain solo? it didn't sound the same to me (sounded a lot shreddier) but it's ages since i've listened to the actual purple rain song
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
Not necessarily, but an awful lot of it is up in the air- how much you practise, how quickly you progress, if you've played other instruments before guitar, etc. etc. etc.. Kind of to the extent that any kind of prediction is kind of an exercise in futility. Is it possible? Sure. Does that mean you'll be able to do it?

Also is the solo in the vid he linked to the actual recorded version of the purple rain solo? it didn't sound the same to me (sounded a lot shreddier) but it's ages since i've listened to the actual purple rain song

It didn´t sound the same to me either.....
yeah i mean if it's a cover she's probably just playing her own version.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Mechanically, the solo is not too challenging. Ideally get someone to sit with you and explain how to play legato ... the clue is in the name there! Usual advice, you have to be able to play accurately and controlled, while totally relaxed, at very slow speeds, to get good at high speed.

Musically, there's not much too get to grips with for this song. You could learn the scales used in a few days ... just knowing where to find the notes ... but that in itself isn't reeally helpful. The more useful bit is learning where to find the chord tones as the chords go by, and interconnecting with scale-based licks (not talking about going up or down a scale literally).

The tune is in Bb major. First few chords she's polaying are Bb sus2 Gm7 F Ebsus2

Basic chords would be the triads of Bb Gm F Eb. The chord tones are those found in each of those triads, respectively. Learn how to play these all in the same area of the neck. The reason is it makles it easy then to smoothly connect melody lines across the chords when the notes are physically near each other. For example, here is one way to do this.

e: - x - 3 - 2 - 4
b: - 3 - 3 - 6 - 4
g: - 3 - 3 - 5 - 3
d: - 3 - 5 - 3 - 5
a: - 5 - 5 - 3 - 6
e: - 6 - 3 - 5 - 6

Look at any horizontal line above, e.g. on the g string.where you have 3 - 3 - 5 - 3. If you play one note per chord, just using that line, you'll hear it just "works" very smoothly, because the notes are very close to each other. Try the same with b string also (i.e. you're playing a small melody per string). Then try two notes per chord just using these 2 lines. Experiment, and you'll hear how just using these chord tones really creates a strong melody. Try each line. Explore.

Then the 7ths of each chord can be added (e.g. to get Bbmaj7 Gm7 F7 Ebmaj7) so you get some more choices for chord tones...But that's a little more advanced.

This isn't saying "thou must only playeth this" ... it is just pointing out that chord tones give a very strong foundation between which you can do all sorts of stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Oct 1, 2016,
Quote by cdgraves
She's got some pretty nice sweeps and scale runs in there, but outside of that, it's mostly right hand tone production.

yeah her chops were pretty good but her vibrato wasn't that great, IMO (or at least I don't like that style of vibrato). I know it sounds like I have a bee in my bonnet about vibrato (mainly because I do ), but I'm always kind of mystified at how people can play a million miles an hour with crappy vibrato. to me it means you're practising the wrong things. And I say that as someone who was always into shredding right from the start, and still am- I'm absolutely not one of those "speed = no emotion" types.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

My last pay check was £9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out

------------ >>>> http://www.MaxNet40.Com
Dave_Mc I did not see or hear anything crappy about this girls vibrato. To me it looked like she had that in control. You may not like that style of vibrato, like you said, which is cool. Problem is what you said after that.

"...I'm always kind of mystified at how people can play a million miles an hour with crappy vibrato."

Perhaps we watched a different video?
I'm not sure. It just stuck me that her fingers were a bit upright (and her thumb off the neck I think, though I know some big players do that too and it seems to work for them (e.g. clapton and I like his vibrato)) and that she wasn't really completely in control with the width and smoothness of it. But that's just me, it may well be subjective as you said.

(And yeah the "crappy" vibrato bit I mentioned was more of a general point- while I wouldn't be the biggest fan of her vibrato, I'd agree that "crappy" is way too harsh, and I wasn't meaning to apply that term to her. I probably should have clarified that to be less ambiguous. )
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 4, 2016,
I'm using it now and it's awesome! I've signed up for my account and have been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made $302 and the second week I doubled it and then it kinda snowballed to $120 a day! juet folllow the course.. they will help you out...

Useful site................. http://MaxNet40.COM
I'm using it now and it's awesome! I've signed up for my account and have been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made $302 and the second week I doubled it and then it kinda snowballed to $120 a day! juet follow the course.. they will help you out...

Useful sit---------->>>> http://www.NetNote20.Com