I have a Blues Jr NOS with the BillM tone stack mods. I'm looking for a replacement speaker to give it a fuller sound. The stock Jensen C12N reissue was way too harsh sounding on overdriven single notes, while the Eminence Texas Heat I have currently replaced it with cut out too much of the presence frequencies for chord playing. The Jensen was good for rhythm, but bad for leads. The Eminence was good for leads, but bad for rhythm. I'm hoping to find a speaker which can excel at both.I was wondering if you could also please help me pick out which of your speakers best fits my needs?

I'd like to keep the classic Fender "sparkle" high-end available (chimey, but not harsh), while also introducing enough low end and low-mids thickness to remedy some of the Blues Jr's "boxy" sound. I'd like solos to sound warm, but still have frequencies to cut through a crowded live band mix.

I play mainly a Fender telecaster in a classic rock band (Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Petty, Springsteen, AC/DC, The Cars, etc). I'm not a heavy metal player at all, but mostly rock and some blues. My band has a three-piece horn section too, so it's very important that my amp can cut through the mix without having to increase to super loud stage volumes.

Based on my feedback regarding the Texas Heat, tech support at Eminence recommended their GA-SC64 instead. How does the GA-SC64 cut in a live band mix?

I'm also considering a Celestion G12H30(75Hz) 70th Anniversary and an Eminence Swamp Thang. Open to other suggestions.

Could you please help recommend the best choice? Any input is appreciated. Thank you very much!
Hmmmm, I kinda like the C12N in a Blues Jr. especially with a Tele. If you want a little more texture and bite, consider the G12H30 or the venerable V30. Both are excellent speakers for guitar and both bring out more mid punch than the C12N which is pretty scooped and hifi sounding. Another choice with British tone is the Emi Private Jack. I have used all of these and currently run a V30 in my Mesa to good effect. Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 30, 2016,
Look into the Eminence Legend V12. Good low end, smooth highs, none of the mid spike of a vintage 30... and they are very reasonably priced in my opinion.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
you're at that old problem- the speakers which are better for overdrive are worse for cleans, and vice-versa (in fact that often applies to guitar gear in general). so you have to decide which is more important, or else be willing to compromise a bit on both.

^ i'm not sure the v12 will do what he wants if the texas heat is too dark. ditto the vintage 30.

i'd be tempted to say (out of what I've tried and with the caveat that I haven't tried them with a blues junior, just with my vht special 6; i also don't gig) that an eminence legend 1258 might do it. though word on the net is that the regular fender hot rods have that speaker (not sure if i believe that or not), so it's maybe a bit weird to buy the "upgraded" version of the amp and then, er, "upgrade" to the speaker which the non-upgraded version of the amp had. but yeah out of what i've tried, for something which still sounds fendery but which can handle dirt a good bit better than a jensen, that might be my choice.

EDIT: another caveat: I haven't tried the ga-sc64 which eminence recommended. EDIT #2: Come to mention it, which speaker is that? I don't see it on the eminence site.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 1, 2016,
Dave_Mc
This is the GA-SC64: http://www.eminence.com/pdf/GA_SC64.pdf

This is what Anthony at Eminence told me:
"The GA-SC64 will give you similar response as Texas Heat, but more articulation and presence in the highs. The V128 has nice upper-mids and highs, but it’s not as close in tone to Texas Heat as the GA-SC64."

Thoughts?

Honestly, I was pretty close with the Texas Heat. If increasing the 3.2kHz on an EQ pedal going into the amp didn't raise the hissy noise floor significantly, I would have stuck with that, although I also prefer to save the EQ pedal as a mids boost to solo above the horns instead of leaving it always on.

I've heard that the Legend 1258 doesn't sit in the band mix too well. I used to have a 60W Hot Rod DeVille (not sure what those stock speakers were), and even with the mid knob dimed, that thing required significantly more stage volume than my BJr to cut through the mix.
Last edited by TeleVince at Oct 3, 2016,
Dave_Mc
Listening to the sound clips and looking at the specs on the Eminence Tone Guide page, I'd say the V128 is significantly brighter than the Texas Heat and a little brighter than the GA-SC64. The V128 has peaks around 1k, 2.3k, and 3.3k. GA around only 3k. TH around only 2.5k.
ah i didn't think to check the signature section, that's why i missed it

It's hard to say- I haven't tried that allessandro one. And I don't know about the band mix thing since I don't gig. If you had an HRD and if the internet wisdom is correct, then you know more about it than I do.

But yeah the 128 is very bright and has a nice sparkle, but also handles od pedals (and just general dirt) a lot better than the jensen c10q i have, or the eminence copperhead, both of which are jenseny speakers and which kind of have that problem you mentioned with your stock jensen. granted, though, those speakers I have are 10", which is likely exacerbating the problem I'd have thought.

That's interesting that you said, "Honestly, I was pretty close with the Texas Heat", because the TH would have been one of the first speakers I'd have thought of for what you wanted (with the caveat that I've tried nowhere near the number of speakers that Anthony at Eminence has, and there may well be, in fact probably is, something which I haven't tried which may be more suitable).

the screamin' eagle is another speaker I've tried which probably isn't just as sparkly as the 128 (but still fairly bright), but then its bass might not be chunky enough.

Basically unless you have good reason not to, I'd be inclined to go with Anthony's advice there.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc
I have the GA-SC64 on the way. Also got a Celestion G12H30 at a steal of a price, so I'm saving that if the GA can't cut through the mix (otherwise, pretty confident I can resell it at no loss).

Of all the sound clips on the Eminence website, I think I like the V128 best. Maintains a lot of clarity yet warm tone on their overdriven samples. They recorded those on a Fender Twin though, which will likely mellow out the V128 more than a Blues Jr will.

Regarding the Texas Heat: it's hard to describe. I noticed it most when there would be a chord, either clean or with light overdrive, and my upstrokes just didn't ring out anymore. Those high e and b strings no longer cut. I couldn't even replicate this sound again if I wanted to: However, the leads cut in the mix and sounded very smooth.
Yeah a g12h30 would be worth a shot if you got one at a good price, it's a british-voiced speaker but with a lot fewer mids so it can kind of do the fender thing as well.

i dunno if a twin would be more mellow than a BJ I'd have thought the opposite but it's ages since i've tried both.

the v12 is kind of like a mellower V30 to my ears. I'd have thought it'd be even worse for the top end, but again
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc
I was thinking the Twin would have more lows and highs than a Blues Jr to balance out the high-mid spike of the V128.

Yeah, the V128 is considered a mellower V30 from all accounts I've read as well. I wonder if it's actually more related to the Celestion V-Type instead.

So yes, I'm thinking the V128 in the BJr would be potentially harsh, in spite of how it sounds on the website. Glad I'm taking the chance on the GA-SC64 before trying a more British-style speaker. If my local tech can install this weekend, I should be able to report back on it next week after band rehearsal Tuesday.
oh i see what you mean in regards to the twin- that may well be so, yeah.

i'm not sure about the v-type- isn't it relatively new? Unless it's an older model that they've revived of something like that, I guess. I haven't tried it, at any rate.

and yeah definitely keep us posted with what you think of the new speaker(s), we're always interested to hear how stuff like this turns out.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman