I've upgraded most of my gear and I'm still playing through my starter amp. I'm looking for a tube amp (possibly SS) up to $500. Cheaper is better. Leaning towards a Fender due to it's clean sound but would need to be versatile. For instance, I want to go from a clean Ty Segall to a heavy Melvins sound.

Will a fuzz pedal be enough on perhaps any Hot Rod series amp?

I'm a degenerate when it comes to gear so I'm open ears to all suggestions.
You could try and see if you can find an Ashdown Fallen Angel used. It has spanky cleans and a serviceable overdrive section, which with a few very easy mods could turn into a Marshall JCM800 dirty channel.

Maybe look at Valveking although the clean is not really pristine "clean". Maybe one of the Jet City Soldano knockoffs.
I owned a jcm800 lead, its super loud. I played a blackstar ID 20 awhile ago very impressed!. But a tube. Orange makes a nice 30watt I think th30 combo, simple to play with, can be loud if needed. Hmmm I have a DSL its a great amp. Try everything u can. Peavey makes a nice 6560 amp I think its called, read alot of great reviews about it!
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
As usual, since you said possibly solid state, the Orange Crush Pro series.
Has a good clean channel that goes from clean to light crunch and a gain channel that goes from crunchy to big and fuzzy. Won't Need a fuzz with it, but it won't hurt to use one either.
VirgoLife87Its The 6505. Ok cleans, but mostly a heavy rock and metal powerhouse
For that low of a price I'd look into Jet City.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
fender HRD, peavey classic 30/50, vintage musicman, I am not not a fan of the Orange crush models.

There are a lot of options.

are you ok with buying used?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

"Trashed's Shop is OPEN!!! Come on in and Check it out! (FRIDAY 2017-01-18)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Shop Tour!
---> https://youtu.be/KQVlpYaulhA
Also, how do you plan on using it? Practice? Jamming with a couple guys? Gigging? Loud stage volume band, or merely ear numbing?

Go to a good music store and play a lot of amps using YOUR guitar and your rig (pedals) if you have one. Don't buy it that day (that's the hardest part!). Write down your impressions on 2 or 3 of the best of them. A few days later go back again and try your top 2-3 amps, but in reverse order from what you did the first time. Whichever one you keep coming back to is the one you want. Then you can look for either used or new. Us guitar folk are a fickle sort, we're always changing gear, so I'd suggest taking a good look at used.

Personally, I'm a dyed in the wool tube guy. I really liked the Peavey Classic 30 for a long time (after modding it). Then I went back to a vintage 1960 Guild tube amp I got at a garage sale for $25 (now worth maybe $1K but I'll never sell it). Tried really hard to like Fenders... Deluxe, Hot Rod... I liked the low end on the Deluxe but all the Fenders were just too clean for my taste. Getting all of your overdrive from a pedal just doesn't sound right to my ears, I like the smooth, harmonic breakup you can only get from a tube. To each his own, though.
Don't forget, tone is subjective. We can only point you in the general direction to get your sound.
Get an amp that makes you happy, not one you were told to get because someone on the internet said to.
We all have different tastes, like Trashed and I differing on the Orange Crush series

Take it as advice, not a strict rule. Unless of course the amp in question is a total turd. We will let you know if it is.

The ones mentioned so far are a good start, so go try out amps, and get the one your ears love the most!
Check out the Traynor YCV50 (not the 40 as they sound different) or the YCS 50 or YCS100
Sorta depends on what is available where you live and who your main guitar tone influences are. A Mesa can sometimes be found used under $500 and may meet your needs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
I usually recomend JetCity amps, but it really wouldnt work here. The guy wants pristine cleans, and the JC's dont even have a real clean channel, just a crunch that you need to turn the gain way down, and even then it breakups a lot.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Liaztraht
Don't forget, tone is subjective. We can only point you in the general direction to get your sound.
Get an amp that makes you happy, not one you were told to get because someone on the internet said to.
We all have different tastes, like Trashed and I differing on the Orange Crush series

Take it as advice, not a strict rule. Unless of course the amp in question is a total turd. We will let you know if it is.

The ones mentioned so far are a good start, so go try out amps, and get the one your ears love the most!

lol.

but he is totally on point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

"Trashed's Shop is OPEN!!! Come on in and Check it out! (FRIDAY 2017-01-18)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Shop Tour!
---> https://youtu.be/KQVlpYaulhA
Thanks for the suggestions. I've researched a bit of every amp mentioned and ap. To answer some questions; definitely for a used amp, currently live in a house,Main tone influence would be the two mentioned above and a Mark Froberg "Obits" era tone , used to jam with some friends before they moved away, so an amp that is a good as a practice amp and a small gig.

Truthfully speaking, I'm waiting for a Sunn Beta Lead amp to pop up at a decent price but that's highly unlikely.