I am looking at Gibson SG's to start playing with in my band. Are they a good purchase and which should i get? anywhere up to 2500 dollars
Yes, buy one that feels good in your hands. Tommy Iommi concurs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
The one knock I hear on SGs is that they can be a little neck heavy, but a good guitar strap can mitigate that somewhat. (Some also counterbalance them with weights.)

Other than that, they're a classic design for a reason. Besides Iommi, Derek Trucks is another high-profile SG player, as is Angus Young.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 30, 2016,
An SG Standard is the way to go in my opinion. Super solid guitars (if you don't drop them, that is), sound great and they are as classic as they come. With that budget, you might want to check out the Custom Shop versions as well, but in my opinion, certainly with an SG, you already get the whole deal on a Standard.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
as far s the neck heavy, that is a case by case basis. i own two gibson SG's at the moment, and neither have headstock dive. but some do.

i would recommend trying it out with a strap to see if yours is.

i love my SG's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
SGs are nice guitars. It's the usual thing- if you like them (and don't get a lemon) they're a good idea.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I've never personally had any issues with them.The one i had back in around '04 took over my LP as my main gigging axe and it became my fav very quickly.
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
I would look for a used one. You might even be able to get a custom shop with your budget. Neither the 2016 or 2017 have everything I would want in an SG. I would look for a used '61 Reissue or an SG original. Another option is a used Derek Trucks model. But add '61 pickguard and switch his truss rod cover for a traditional one. My personal problems with the current SGs are mainly aesthetic and my issues might not bother you. I prefer vintage spec SGs but neither of the current Standards get it right. They're still good guitars though.