Psychotronic movie is a term coined by film critic Michael J. Weldon—referred to by a fellow critic as "the historian of marginal movies"—to denote the sort of low-budget genre pictures that are generally disdained or ignored entirely by the critical establishment.

The kind of wtf movies you see on at 2 am on retro tv stations.

Since this is a metal forum, we'll obviously need the album equivalents of these movies. Obscure, low-budget albums with a unifying theme/imagery of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. Endeavors of creativity just a few cards short of a full deck, destined for the 'miscellaneous' section of the record store shelf from the moment it was conceptualized.

If people are interested we could make this a weekly feature and take turns presenting albums that fit the criteria.

I'll start this week with industrial power metal band Cyberya and their sole full-length effort, Mindcontrol. Ever wondered what Die Krupps + Angel Dust would sound like? I'll take a wild guess and say "no." Combined with it's sci-fi themes, it makes for a fairly unique listening experience. It won't dazzle you with its riffs or song structures. In fact it may underwhelm you in these departments. But this adorable little album will worm its way into your heart, one way or another.

The next millenium
Questions are running through my mind
Children of tomorrow
Clones marching side by side

Machines controlling us
Intellectual genocide
Horror visions - way of progress
Until suicide

What if nostradamus 4 prophecies
In the end becomes reality

What did we learn of the last 2000 years
What did we learn of the last 2000 years

Cyberya - Mindcontrol
Germany

Next time:
10/08: severed-metal
10/15: P1ayingW1thF1re
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Oct 4, 2016,
Yeah we doing this weekly. S-tier thread. Sign me up for next week.

Cyberia, Cyber..Well my initial thoughts about Ministry of T.E.C.H. will likely apply to the rest of this album. With the dreamy background sci-fi approach with post-punk vocals...cyberwave? But then into early nu-metal yelling alongside sections? Very dramatic I'm so confused by what they were trying to do, but the only tag line I can think of is "We are a former group of cybergoth dancers making The Matrix inspired power metal"

could fit into the bargain bin out of ten
Good, I'm just in time to be the one who mentions Horror of the Zombies

This album is close to perfect

Also, please ban Razorback Records bands from this thread
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Cool. Glad you like the idea Jon. I'll edit my post with a list of volunteers. Added Jon.

Quote by severed-metal
"We are a former group of cybergoth dancers making The Matrix inspired power metal"

pretty much sums it up. What were hey trying to do? Get noticed, probably. At a time when nu metal was picking up fast they had to think outside the box. Probably had hopes of spearheading a new subgenre. I kind of wish they could have attempted another album. With some more ambitious song structures and a more well-rounded integration of all the present elements it could have really blossomed into... something.

Kyto, I commend you for your effort on this post! Your method of presentation grabbed my attention.

Thinking aloud: I like the idea of a regularly scheduled thread of this nature, but I don't think that I can generate genuine interest in listening to bargain bin music every week, haha. I suspect that I would only listen to a featured album if the description captured my interest or the music seemed relevant to my taste. I can think of a couple of albums that fit the theme and that I would like to share, but I don't imagine myself consistently reciprocating by participating in others' threads. Maybe that's not a problem, because the threads still represent a form of activity even if few people listen to or have anything to say about the music. A weekly sharing of a little-known personal favorite would be a more broad activity and the musical quality might be higher. That alternative loses the fun of a theme like this, but posters would still have the power to write riveting descriptions. Again, I'm just thinking aloud.

I'm not really a regular here, and I might disappear again at any time, so don't give my opinions too much weight.

Cyberya: I listened to the first 3-4 songs from Mindcontrol and they did not really appeal to me. "Addicted to Warfare" left a strong impression though, particularly the chorus. Wow. I listened to that track quite a few times. I would probably not listen to Cyberya regularly even if I liked all of their songs, because their bleak future theme depresses me in general.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Oct 2, 2016,
If you have some albums in mind then by all means, please sign up and share them. Sometimes it can be enlightening, or it's just fun to revel in obscurity and camp. Maybe you haven't reached that level of desperate nostalgic solitude in your life yet. You'll come around when you realize the salvation of the seedy late-night cinema, the small town record-store going out of business sale during a foreboding downpour. The rain drenched walk to your car with a generic plastic bag full of $0.99 cent CDs thinking is this as good as it gets?

And you don't have to do a song-by-song on someone's presentation. Just listen to a few songs and give a couple sentences if that's all you have time or interest for. You could totally start a weekly thing where people share a personal favorite hidden gem. Sounds like a good idea. The thing about weekly rotations is that even if you drop off the face of the earth, it can potentially continue on without you. No reason to not have all kinds of activities for people to participate in.

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Oct 2, 2016,