I got my JS1000 last night. It shipped from Tuscon AZ to Minneapolis MN. When I first received the guitar the B string open buzzed badly but otherwise the entire guitar sounded great. The strings were quite dead so I promptly changed them to .09-.042's. I have no real idea what were on it before but the size felt the same so I'd guess they were already 9-42's. Now like half the guitar is buzzing. intonation is pretty good so I don't personally think the weather change is the culprit. This is my first Floyd Rose guitar so I am lacking knowledge with it. What do you think is the issue? Here is a video of me running up the frets:

EDIT: The Floyd trem could be lifted a bit to increase pitch, not by a ton but by an okay amount. Now I cannot pull the trem bar up really at all.

PS: The video is unlisted so I'm not making money off it or anything.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Last edited by 457undead at Oct 2, 2016,
Action.
Neck relief.

Those are the two things you should be looking at.

From the bridge, look down the side of the neck and see how it's curved. It should either appear straight, or have a very very slight bow, but not a backbow. Think of how the string are pulling the headstock towards the body from the tension, if it's just slightly bowing that way, it should be fine. If it's completely straigh, you MIGHT need to loosen the truss rod, and if there's backbow you most definitely do.

Now I don't know how that particular trem system is set up, but I know on my ZR it has to be flush (I have a tension adjustment on mine that sets the trem flush, but most require adding/pulling out springs) but that may not be the case with yours.

Figure out how to adjust the action on that trem. I'd set it fairly high, where there is no buzz or dead notes, after making sure your neck is correctly adjusted. Then lower each side until you hear a tad bit of buzzing.

You could have some uneven frets too, but that would require a luthier to level them.
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 2, 2016,
The action might be too low & the neck could be warped. I'd try raising the action, not too much but just enough so the frets don't buzz. Grab an Allen wrench & mess around with it. Only YOU can make that guitar play exactly how YOU want it. A luthier can only make it play how he wants it. You won't believe how easy it is to fix this problem & in the end your guitar will be 100℅ how you want it to be. You got this dude.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
'17 Gibson Les Paul Standard
60s Gibson Les Paul Tribute
'16 Fender MIA Stratocaster
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Oct 2, 2016,
It's possible you went down a string gauge and that the originals were 10's. That would allow the neck to bow back slightly from where it was and it would put the back end of the Floyd at an angle (with the rear down nearly on the deck), which would limit your pull-up. You'll just need to set up the guitar for that gauge string set. You'll end up loosening the spring claw in the spring cavity at the back of the guitar (don't forget to unlock your locking nut before doing all this) and retuning the guitar until the Floyd's baseplate is horizontal to the face of the body of the guitar. You'll also likely need to loosen the neck's truss rod slightly (you do this in 1/4 turn increments, no more, at a time, and then check to see where you're at). The truss rod, when tightened, bows the neck *against* the string tension, so when you have reduced string tension, you should reduce the truss rod tension at the same time. Take your time with this; you'll want to loosen the truss rod slightly (remember righty tighty, lefty loosey).
Quote by NewDayHappy
Only YOU can make that guitar play exactly how YOU want it. A luthier can only make it play how he wants it.

You haven't worked with a good tech, then. I usually work with Gary Brawer in San Francisco. Not only can he make my guitar play exactly how I want it (and better than I can), but I can also send him new (to me) guitars and he can set THEM up exactly how I want them. And if there's an issue with the fret level, etc., he can take care of that on a PLEK and he can pull up the computer files from previous guitars I've sent him and check my preferences there as well. Gary's done work for other pros in the area (Neal Schon is one of his more famous customers) and he does the same for them.

Quote by dspellman
You haven't worked with a good tech, then. I usually work with Gary Brawer in San Francisco. Not only can he make my guitar play exactly how I want it (and better than I can), but I can also send him new (to me) guitars and he can set THEM up exactly how I want them. And if there's an issue with the fret level, etc., he can take care of that on a PLEK and he can pull up the computer files from previous guitars I've sent him and check my preferences there as well. Gary's done work for other pros in the area (Neal Schon is one of his more famous customers) and he does the same for them.

There is a gratifying feeling that comes with servicing your own guitars. Eddy Van Halen & Eric Clapton use to tear down & build their own strats. EVH's Frankenstrat & Eric Clapton's "Blackie" are two of the most iconic guitars in rock n roll history. It's a good idea to know your guitar inside & out.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
'17 Gibson Les Paul Standard
60s Gibson Les Paul Tribute
'16 Fender MIA Stratocaster
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
So im just not sure what to adjust first. Mainly because there is multiple issues. All of the frets from like fret 7 up buzz on the Low E and A strings. Strings low E to B buzz when open, the buzzing gets worse as you ascend. When i first got the guitar the floyd could raise and lower the pitch, now it only goes down. I need it to be ablr to go up as well. I can't bend up without the note dying from the G to the high E.

The only issue I had when i got the guitar was the open b string buzz. After changing the strings it got terrible.

Here is a pic of the floyd, it's not %100 parallel, it shifts up.

Another thing i noticed is the metallic metal pieces. they look like somebody put them there. They are at the top of the bridge. not sure why those are there.

Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Last edited by 457undead at Oct 3, 2016,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

that is just about everything you need.

also check out ibanezrules.com lots of good info there as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I found your problem.

Rebalance the floyd, it's WAY pulled back into the body.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Go to Youtube and check out some videos on adjusting the truss rod. Sounds like your neck has a big back-bow to it and it needs to be bowed forwards.
Quote by oneblackened
I found your problem.

Rebalance the floyd, it's WAY pulled back into the body.

Yeah it looks like maybe the previous strings may have been .010s when switching to .009s the tremolo dropped in the back when it needs to be parallel with the body you are going to have to do some adjusting to the trem springs the guide that trashedlostfdup posted will help or if you are not yet comfortable making adjustements to the springs then take it to a tech. It really isn't difficult you just have to make minor adjustments to the trem springs and then retune, it will take a bit of time as you will have to make several small adjustments and retune until you have the trem floating properly.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Go to a tech or anyone that knows how to setup. Ask them to teach you. That, or there are plenty of videos on YouTube in how to setup properly.
That guide just says to rebalance the floyd but it doesn't say how. So idk how to do it. I took off the back and there are 4 springs in there. Should i take a spring out if Im playing with .009s? I like to play JS music so i guess i cant have a stiff trem.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
3 springs is fine for 9-42.

Start with 3 springs and tune the guitar with the regular tuners, locking nut unlocked.
Look at the position of the bridge, is it flat? If not, tighten the two screws into the body of the guitar to pull the trem into the body, screw them out to allow the trem to pull away from the body.
Re-tune and see what happens. Slowly adjust this until it is flat. Every time you turn the screws you have to re tune it because the tuning changes the tension on the strings.

Once that is done you can then adjust the action. Depending on what picks you are using you can use them to measure. At the 12 feet measure from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. A good range is 1.5mm-2mm of space. For me I can use a standard tortex 1mm and a fender medium (.7 something?) and that is pretty close. No need for special tools. If there is not this much space, you want to:
Put one of those red erasers behind the trem, or anything in the little pocket on the top of the body of the guitar to prevent it from pulling back
Loosen the strings so they are floppy
Go on the back of the guitar where the springs are and remove them
Remove the trem with the strings still attached and set it to the side
Adjust the two "posts" to raise the trem. Screwing them out raises the action. You can use a pick for measurement. Do this on both sides.
Re install trem onto posts
Attach springs (with eraser or object in front recess still)
Re-tune the guitar and then re measure. Repeat until correct.

To check neck bow put your finger on the fret that meets the body, and use a capo or your finger on the first fret. You should be able to visibly see a minor bow, and should be able to fit something like a business card through the 8th fret and strings. If this is incorrect simply report back here and we can give advice.