I have an issue with my guitar. It's an Ashton ag131, 2011's model i believe, and i have it for a good 8 years now. But from the beginning the only string that broke was the low e string. Now i have restrung it multiple times through the years. Went from 9s to 10s and currently 11s, but nothing seemed to work out. I usually have it downtuned and i originally thought that the 9 gauge were the culprit but even now with the 11 gauge, the thing broke. Any ideas?
2011 for 8 years?

Anyways, remove the string and check for burrs wherever the string is breaking.
Quote by guitarkid8
2011 for 8 years?

It's that Common Core crap they're teaching in grade schools these days. No Readin', Writin' or Rithmetic.
Nor History nor English and lord help you if you try to break out cursive.
Quote by dspellman
It's that Common Core crap they're teaching in grade schools these days. No Readin', Writin' or Rithmetic.
Nor History nor English and lord help you if you try to break out cursive.

I know what you mean! Nowadays I see no end of sentences containing capital letters that just aren't needed ;-)
guitarkid8 Sorry for the mistake, don't know what i was thinking.
Anyways, i checked the string but i can't find any burrs.
Where is the string breaking?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I could be a matter of picking technique do you have a heavy picking hand?

What type of music are you playing?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine Mostly punk and sometimes metal but nothing too fancy. I'm more into rhythm than blazing-fast solos.
You mean the string breaks between the tuning key and the nut? Or does it break somewhere over the fret board? Is there anything to rub against where it breaks? Idk what they are called, but, does the guitar have one of those things that the string goes under on the headstock? Is that where it breaks?
Last edited by geo-rage at Oct 3, 2016,
geo-rage It breaks between the tuning key and the nut however there is nothing to rub against. It does have these things that the string goes under but its not where it breaks.
Man 9's downtuned shouldn't break at all, there's not nearly as much tension.

Now do you mean low E as in the bottom, or low as the lowest note? If it's the small E string, I can see that happening. I've never broken a low E though, though I've broken many high E's

There has to be something sharp somewhere, that's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.
The string trees? Usually those aren't used on strat-style guitars on the low-E.

Real dumb question here: are you stretching the strings?
Also, when it breaks is the string snapping or does it unwind?
What brand are you using? If it's the same brand, maybe try another?
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
it sounds like there is a burr somewhere, keep in mind that when the string breaks it is under tension so the end of the broken string will not necessarily be exactly at the position it was when it was rubbing against something. Maybe there is something happening when you string the guitar that causes a kink or does something to compromise the integrity of the string by the tuning key.
How about putting some lube on the nut. Maybe it's getting trapped and when you tune it's putting an unusual amount of tension on the string between the nut and tuner. Do you ever run your finger under the string after you tune it to pop it out of the nut Just to make sure it's not sticking?
Quote by guitarsngear
keep in mind that when the string breaks it is under tension so the end of the broken string will not necessarily be exactly at the position it was when it was rubbing against

Maybe mark the string where it may be rubbing (once tuned) and then see if it breaks along the mark?