Hi Guys,

I just joined the community and had a question for all you guitar experts.
1 year ago I bought an Epiphone Sheraton II made in China. Overall I am pretty satisfied with it although the sound could be better (it's currently a bit dull and muddy especially with the neck pickup). I listened to some Gibson 335 and I notice quite a significant difference (hey I am aware they are on 2 different levels). That said I can't currently afford to spend 2-3k + for a 335. I am also a medium guitar player so I son't want my arsenal to exceed my capabilities

I was thinking to upgrade the Pickups with some good ones. My question are:
1. How much will upgrading the pickups improve the sound?
2. Is it enough to upgrade the pickups or this has to be done together with other upgrades such as electronics etc...
3. Which pickups would you advise on a Sheraton which give it a more lively sound but still preserve the spirit of a semiacustic and won't turn the guiter into something different?

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate your help!

Cheers
Andrea
Andy_Richards

I have a 2000 Sheraton that I upgraded the pickups on.

My experience:

1. A lot, the definition and the range of the sounds you can get without it getting muddy will improve drastically!
2. You can probably get away with just upgrading the pickups. The rest is not that important (but of course also not that expensive..)
3. I have Barknuckle the Mule pickups in mine, but they are a bit dark. I have another semi-hollow with Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups and they are much better. Otherwise maybe look up Panucci guitars pickups. Angelo really knows what he is doing.

Hope that helps!

Jens
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Pickups matter a lot in a semi-hollow. To preserve the sound of the guitar, stick with lower output, vintage-wound pickups.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Mincer

My experience is the same. I have an old Westone 335 knockoff, and it sounds dull and muddy unless I use very bright pickups - I chose SD Jazz and added single/series/parallel switching for good measure.

Andy_Richards

The first thing a would try is taking the covers off the pickups. If they are plated brass they could be a major tone killer.
I can think of some HBs & HB-sized P90s that might work. What's your budget; what's your ideal tone?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Jens all, thank you so much for your replies! Really helful!
I will have a look at some pickups. I would like to spend max 200-250 euro. I would like to have a 335 tone.

cheers,
Andrea
I would look into perhaps Bareknuckle Mules, maybe Riff Raffs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
200 euro gets you a pair of Bareknuckles, yeah? Stormy Monday or Mule are probably perfect for that, maybe Riff Raff for more mids. Might want to replace the pots and tone cap while you're re-wiring, I wonder if Epi puts lower value pots in their hollowbodies to make them darker. If nothing else a new set will last longer and you could lower the cap value to keep it brighter when using the tone controls.

Edit: ^jinx
If you can afford the BKPs, that's a good option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I would also consider Suhr Thornbuckers or SSVs, actually.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
omg... I have quite a long pickup list.. what is the best way to test them? On the reseller internet sites you can't really listen to them well so they all sound the same and are probably played with a different guitar than mine...
^ that's the big problem, unfortunately
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Andy_Richards
omg... I have quite a long pickup list.. what is the best way to test them? On the reseller internet sites you can't really listen to them well so they all sound the same and are probably played with a different guitar than mine...

Bareknuckle has demos of everything they make on their site.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden