Poll: Is being nice worth it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is being nice worth it?
It is worth it to be nice
31 86%
It is not worth it to be nice
5 14%
Voters: 36.
Page 1 of 2
We see people all the time on facebook whining about how they're going to change how they are and start to be an asshole because being nice doesn't pay off.

Do you think being nice pays off in the end? Or is being nice just a way to get pushed around and live your life beta af?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Adaptability is more important than niceness or non-niceness. There's a time for everything. People vary in their ability to express niceness or a lack thereof and social responses to their behavior act to reinforce those traits. Social contexts matter.

etc. etc.

Ask Zizek or Freire.

on topic: It's worth it usually, you bitches
Quote by bass.desires
staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.
Shake with your right hand but hold a rock in your left. So if somebody needs a doorstop or paperweight or something you can help out.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Oct 2, 2016,
If you decide to change your behavior because you're looking for a payoff, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Just be like Xiaoxi and be an asshole and make a thread about it. At least you own it.
I'm going to keep being nice because it feels bad to not be nice.
Work to what end? If your niceness is an attempt to manipulate an outcome, it is not nice at all.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
being genuinely nice is a good thing, and a positive trait to have IRL
i don't really care how people act online, but it does show a bit of their truest self (which is why i don't post status' on facebook lol)

i don't see any reason not to try to be kind and polite to most people you meet in your life, you never know who you're gonna need one day or what someone can offer you through friendship
i think it's good to be a nice person, but not one to be taken advantage of, that's just being nice because you're weak, which is linked with stupidity.
i'm pretty neutral with everyone i know, but those that have been loyal to me and haven't crossed me in any way are the ones i treat especially nicely.
Absolutely.

Your reputation is what carries you, especially professionally.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by bradulator
Or is being nice just a way to get pushed around and live your life beta af?
You can be nice without being a doormat.
ggg1 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg3

Quote by k.lainad
being genuinely nice is a good thing, and a positive trait to have IRL
i don't really care how people act online, but it does show a bit of their truest self (which is why i don't post status' on facebook lol)

i don't see any reason not to try to be kind and polite to most people you meet in your life, you never know who you're gonna need one day or what someone can offer you through friendship
i think it's good to be a nice person, but not one to be taken advantage of, that's just being nice because you're weak, which is linked with stupidity.
i'm pretty neutral with everyone i know, but those that have been loyal to me and haven't crossed me in any way are the ones i treat especially nicely.

Fuck that noise. I'mma go my own way.
Quote by behind_you
You can be nice without being a doormat.
like being able to say no when you want to. being nice to the point of not being able to say no can work against you
Quote by k.lainad
well you're in the minority if you feel this way.

I'm just poking fun.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Adaptability is more important than niceness or non-niceness.

This. This right here determines most things.
Works for me. Sometimes I feel like being mean out of spite but the outcome is really not worth it. At least when I'm nice I don't have anything to feel guilty about.
cat
Quote by eGraham
Absolutely.

Your reputation is what carries you, especially professionally.

"But sir, he doesn't have any education or knowledge about building a shuttle"

"Doesn't matter, he's a nice guy"
Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Oct 2, 2016,
I have a friend who's nice.

He's in a mountain of debt and just got laid off after 3 years of backbreaking work and no pay increase.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think the example in the OP is just an expression of exasperation, like they've put so much effort into getting a relationship working and now they're giving up with as much public melodrama as possible.

I tend to not take things personally. If something happens that's not exactly what I'd planned, I move on fairly quickly and try not to hold grudges because nobody is obligated to be nice to me or be my friend or whatever.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

I don't know what they mean about 'being nice doesn't pay off, I'll just be an asshole."

The reform it would take to make such a shift in morale would ware on a person, a lot more than some girl. The kind of people who view things like that are toxic.

It's easier to go with the flow and be nice when it doesn't inconvenience you to much extent, then it is to actively be an asshole.
Quote by UltimateGuizar
"But sir, he doesn't have any education or knowledge about building a shuttle"

"Doesn't matter, he's a nice guy"

No
Reputation is built off of many things, attitude and demeanor among them.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
this thread gave me ashy elbows
i see your girl
G A Y
she leavin wit me

F O R
I'm playing wit her booty
in the back seat
M A D D E N
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Nice works on the micro level but will kill you on the macro
this

being not-an-asshole in general is much better than going out of your way to make people like you
Quote by eGraham
No
Reputation is built off of many things, attitude and demeanor among them.

Jeez I was only joking, there was no need for a warning.
Gary was right, you really are the worst.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
He's actually conspiring against you and ulti.

omg what why

we're great
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
It depends how one defines 'being nice'. But I enjoy being nice to people.

People aren't always nice back, but they're a lot more likely to be nasty back if I'm nasty to them.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 3, 2016,
i am nice and it has gotten me nowhere, this world is full of psychopaths and liars and you have to play by their rules if you want to get anywhere, unfortunately, some people are just not cut out for that because they are good people and have these things called morals
People who talk about being the only "nice guy" in a world of assholes come across as being entitled and manipulative. Are you really a pleasant human being if you constantly have to explain that you are?

I also think the word "nice" is used when you have nothing good to say. When you're not kind, caring, friendly, approachable, considerate, helpful, charismatic, you're just "nice".
'Nice' used to be an insult, y'know.

If you were pretty dumb or lacking in brain power but not quite enough to clinically retarded, you were simple, slow and 'nice'.

I'd say most people in the pit are pretty 'nice'.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by bradulator
Does being nice work?

Yes, but only if you're attractive.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by EpiExplorer
I'd say most people in the pit are pretty 'nice'.

No I'm not. I'm an asshole, you asshole
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
Quote by ultimate-slash
No I'm not. I'm an asshole, you asshole

A nice asshole. gr8 4 put dikk into
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Work to what end? If your niceness is an attempt to manipulate an outcome, it is not nice at all.

fuckin friendzone
It was my privilege
I am generally nice to people and find it rewarding most of the time but for those who don't appreciate or reciprocate my niceness I can just as easily treat them like shit.

Do unto others...
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Page 1 of 2