So I've found a second hand amp for £40 and I want to use it to gig, would you be able to hear it over a drummer and a guitarist? It's the Peavey TNT115 160w Combo Amp and it has 1 15'' speaker. Thanks
AMP: http://imgur.com/a/n0TY5
In my experience, even with how punchy a Peavey can be, 160w is not enough headroom to get over a drummer and a guitarist in a gigging situation. I tried to gig with a 150w Ampeg, and honestly gave up. Your typical rock drummer is going to drown you out in most instances and unless you're into constantly telling your bandmates to turn down or play softer, its going to be an exercise in frustration for you as a bass player. Save your money for a louder amp. You can always turn down an amp with ample headroom.
^^^This^^^
'79 Peavey T-40
'84 Fender Precision Elite II
'87 Peavey Dyna-Bass
'90 Fender HM
'01 Fender Precision Special Deluxe
'04 Fender Dimension

GK 1001RB-II
Traynor YBA 200-2
Peavey 400B
Fender Bassman 400
SWR Workingman's Tower 810
Peavey 215
Never had anything stellar to say about Peavey.

Sorry
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Acoustic B600 head should be more than adequate.. I own a B200 head paired with Peavey Bass Enclosure 1820 am pleased with it.

I also used this speaker cab on my Randall RX120D head..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Oct 6, 2016,
It all depends on the drummer and guitarist. A lotta guys played major stages with a 50w Fender Bassman back in the day. That would still get it done in some bands but most prefer 800w rigs these days.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/bassman_bf.html
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Well I've gone the other way and purchased a 1x15 Markbass combo and I couldn't be happier, ultra light for my aging back but oh so powerful.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You have to answer the usual questions before we can make any useful recommendations: what kind of music do you play? What kind of amplifier(s) are your guitarist(s) playing through? How loud is your drummer? How loud do you play at gigs? What size venues do you play?

You can get away with almost any amplifier for gigging if the venue has a good P.A. system and you can stick a microphone in front of your amplifier and run it through the P.A., but that is not always the best option even when it is available to you. The old rule of thumb is that the bassist needs three times the firepower of the guitarist in order to be heard in the mix.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Quote by FatalGear41
You can get away with almost any amplifier for gigging if the venue has a good P.A. system and you can stick a microphone in front of your amplifier and run it through the P.A., but that is not always the best option even when it is available to you. The old rule of thumb is that the bassist needs three times the firepower of the guitarist in order to be heard in the mix.

Excellent post the only thing that that I will add is that unless things have changed Basses tended to go down the D.I. rout as they never seemed to find a Mic to satisfactorily mic up Bass.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by 11traversd
So I've found a second hand amp for £40 and I want to use it to gig, would you be able to hear it over a drummer and a guitarist? It's the Peavey TNT115 160w Combo Amp and it has 1 15'' speaker. Thanks
AMP: http://imgur.com/a/n0TY5

No.
Quote by John Swift
Well I've gone the other way and purchased a 1x15 Markbass combo and I couldn't be happier, ultra light for my aging back but oh so powerful.

I'm using a Carvin BX1500 (10 lbs) with a 45-lb fEARful 15/6/1.

The Markbass, about $1000, produces 300W at 8 ohms, 500W at 4 ohms. Since the internal speaker will only handle 400W, it seems reasonable that the 500W will only be produced with an additional external 8 ohm cabinet (weighs an additional 37 lbs, give or take). The single 15" speaker, with 100 dB sensitivity, begins to beam (gets noticeably directional) above about 1000Hz.

The Carvin BX1500 head ($499) actually has TWO power amps inside (useful for biamping, different channels, etc.), but I use it bridged, mono. At that point it will produce 900W into an 8 ohm load (one fEARful 15/6/1 cabinet will easily handle this) or 1500W into a 4 ohm load (two cabinets). In the fEARful, there's a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" tweeter with crossovers that help produce the widest possible dispersion of sound. The fEARful is larger in size, but the combination with the Carvin head is less than10 lbs heavier than the Markbass combo. The Carvin head has some pretty good controls and output:

dspellman Must admit that I've not used the Markbass outside but up to now it's been ok, if I do need to add another cab I havea 15" Eminence 450 watt speaker which I will build a compact unit for as I've built my own cabinets for many years including for many other musos including Def Leppard in their earlier days, drummer Rik hails from the town where I live.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift

Good point. Not all microphones are good at mic'ing a bass amp. Some of us have had good results by using a kick drum microphone, such as the Audix D6 and others.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!