I know $500 isn't much, but I'd really like to buy an Electric guitar and amp for under $500 US. I would like the amp to have the ability to play some metal sounds, as well as a decent clean channel as well.

I live in Indiana, the closest shop is around 50 miles away, so not a lot of opportunity to try stuff out without driving quite a ways.
Also get the peavey vypyr 1 or 2 the frist one is 100 bucks us and the second one is 200 us let me know if this helped you.

You should get the demon 6 by schecter It is a masterpiece for metal music it comes with 24 frets Seymour duncan pickups etc it is 400 bucks us
Last edited by OlaEnglund1 at Oct 4, 2016,
i will throw up another recommendation on the vypyr. good amps overall, but buy one with a 12" speaker.

for guitars, what is appealing to you? you have some good options.

could you be more specific on the tones you plan to achieve?

are you OK buying used?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 for the Vyper with 12" speaker.

Used MIJ Jackson guitars can be had for around the $300 give or take depending on condition and for the price they can't be beat the jackson Floyds are not steller but they stay in tune from my experience. I own 5 MIJ Jacksons plus an 89 MIJ Charvel.

Where do you live in Indiana? I live in Indianapolis so acess to music stores has never been an issue for me FWIW I can find a used MIJ Jackson at at Sam Ash or either of the 2 Guitar Center locations that are nearest to me at just about any time, they can be found in pawn shops as well.

Buying a guitar is an investment if a trip to Indianapolis is not out of the question it will be worth the time and gas money you spend to get your hands on some guitars and try them before you decide.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

+1 on the MIJ jacksons. i have owned three in the past. nice guitars, good price.

paired with a vypyr you would have a setup that will keep you entertained for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by OlaEnglund1
Any of you heard of ola englund?

nope. never.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

+1 on the VYPYR 12" and MIJ Jacksons!!

Cant go wrong there!

and...

Ola Englund kicks ass
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
I'd save up & get more $$$$.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
'17 Gibson Les Paul Standard
60s Gibson Les Paul Tribute
'16 Fender MIA Stratocaster
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Lots of great suggestions, it seems the vyper is the way to go. I'd heard they are good, as well as Vox modeling amps also.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to guitars. I really like the LesPaul body style, but am open to others also. I'm wanting to learn to play, I currently know 4 chords as every time I've tried to start learning something happens and stops my education.

I want to learn to play music from bands such as Metallica, Coheed, as well as some classic rock also.

Quote by Evilnine
+1 for the Vyper with 12" speaker.

Used MIJ Jackson guitars can be had for around the $300 give or take depending on condition and for the price they can't be beat the jackson Floyds are not steller but they stay in tune from my experience. I own 5 MIJ Jacksons plus an 89 MIJ Charvel.

Where do you live in Indiana? I live in Indianapolis so acess to music stores has never been an issue for me FWIW I can find a used MIJ Jackson at at Sam Ash or either of the 2 Guitar Center locations that are nearest to me at just about any time, they can be found in pawn shops as well.

Buying a guitar is an investment if a trip to Indianapolis is not out of the question it will be worth the time and gas money you spend to get your hands on some guitars and try them before you decide.

I live about 50 miles from Indianapolis and about 50 miles from Fort Wayne also. I usually end up in Indy about once every 6 months or so.
Last edited by tlmills at Oct 4, 2016,
That is what I play metallica and some ola englund stuff get the vypyr and the demon 6 for it great for the job
Quote by tlmills
Lots of great suggestions, it seems the vyper is the way to go. I'd heard they are good, as well as Vox modeling amps also.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to guitars. I really like the LesPaul body style, but am open to others also. I'm wanting to learn to play, I currently know 4 chords as every time I've tried to start learning something happens and stops my education.

I want to learn to play music from bands such as Metallica, Coheed, as well as some classic rock also.

I live about 50 miles from Indianapolis and about 50 miles from Fort Wayne also. I usually end up in Indy about once every 6 months or so.

Always good to meet a fellow Hoosier, I'd definatley consider making the trip to get some hands on with a few guitars before making a purchase, I have only bought one guitar online and it was used and in great shape but when it comes to guitars I am a firm believer in taking them for a test drive as no two are ever alike.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine

I'd be fine with that if I had any clue what I was looking for or at. I literally don't know much about guitars.
is this your first guitar?

Ok here's the deal - you need to go play a bunch of guitars, just go to guitar center or wherever and get your hands on a bunch. There are great articles on how to buy a guitar (I would link them but I"m too lazy) I think there are stickys in this forum that go over this and it is great advice, so go seek them out and read them. Main things to consider:
How does it feel in your hands? Is it comfortable or do you feel like you are fighting it?
Does it have a good acoustic sound? (meaning does it sound good not plugged into anything)

IMO, once those two things are satisfied, then you can get into the electronics, and so on..

The advice on Jacksons seems to be legit, I don't own one, but I want to and that is the route I'm going. But those are really specific "metal" guitars, you can play everything with them of course but if you want the whammy bar bridge system (what's known as the floyd rose or "floating tremolo") so you can do divebombs and stuff like that, they are the way to go. These are what's known as "super strat" guitars and my opinion, they are very versatile.

If you like Les Paul's, go look for some used Epiphone Les Paul Standards (NOT the cheaper ones that are like $200 new), I think you can find the standards used for around $300 as they sell new for around $500. Or check out the LTD version of the Les Paul as well. Make sure you play these because they aren't all that consistent, this is where the feel and the acoustic sound comes in big time I think..

good luck!
tobin1634

I've owned 2 electrics in the past. A squire strat that I got for a gift when I was in high school, but I was forced to sell it as I had some vehicle issues.

Then I bought a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Which was stolen after a few weeks.

So basically it would be my first lol.
checked indianapolis guitar center and craigslist came up with the following, the 6505 peavey from GC looks like the best used amp option I found, and there are a couple of decent guitars for around $200, you might have to push your budget by $50

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibanez/RG3EX1-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112520077.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/6505-Plus-1x12-60W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112541167.gc

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/5796889036.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/5741710081.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/5798432971.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/5731578032.html

This is a combo guitar and amp, amp is a Peavy Vypr of some sort can't tell the model from the picture.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/5809886402.html
Quote by OlaEnglund1

Who?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Agile makes some great guitars, they would definitely be worth considering. I have bought three guitars from Rondo over the years and have had a good experience with them, there are a fair number on the forum who are fans of agile guitars as well.
Quote by OlaEnglund1

Olga WHo?

I kid. She's a Swedish bikini model, right?
Who plays a little metal?
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 5, 2016,
Quote by guitarsngear
Agile makes some great guitars, they would definitely be worth considering. I have bought three guitars from Rondo over the years and have had a good experience with them, there are a fair number on the forum who are fans of agile guitars as well.

I have five. www.rondomusic.com These are very nice, mostly Korean-built guitars with a much higher quality level than their price would lead you to believe.

Two unusual ones in the Used pile at Guitar Center:

Guitar Center in Clackamus Oregon has a "Tribal Red" AL-727 that seems to be in excellent shape (small ding on the bottom front edge, missing TRC, SD replacement pickup at the bridge). Think Les Paul (ish) clone, but in a 7-string guitar with a 27" scale. The fretboard has dot markers, but it's an ebony 24-jumbo-fret board with a 14" radius, a TUSQ nut. Nice piece, but GC currently wants $343 for the guitar. By the time I paid LA sales tax and shipping to LA's Pasadena store from Clackamus, it would have been around $398, and the original price on these was $399 plus about $25 shipping (no sales tax). No fretwear, no case.

The Pasadena GC has a 2000-series double-cutaway guitar in a translucent black over flame top for $249. These are pretty rare, surprisingly lightweight. I had to go check this one out in person. It needs some more cleaning, and it's got some scratches on the back and a couple of very minor dings on the front, but everything's small and nothing's actually through the paint. 24.75" scale, 22 frets, no fretwear, no case. I think it's a steal at $200, but $249 (plus sales tax) is getting pretty close to its new value. The "police hold" ran out on 8/27, so they've had it for a bit.

I'm not sure what it is about the GC used guitar folks, but they've been pricing Agiles *very* close to their new prices. They mostly don't do any dealing on these until after about 90 days.
No experience with agile guitars, but they look pretty good. However, the specs are hilariarous "weight: only 10 pounds!" 10 pounds is damn heavy, that's like the weight of the older solid (non chambered or weight-relieved) les pauls. But it must sound good!