Page 1 of 2
If you're thinking about watching this series, do not read anything about it. It's a western sci-fi show. That's all you gotta know. I'm not usually wrapped up in spoilers but the first episode, and probably only the first episode, is better served by a cold watch.

If you're not thinking about watching this show, well, you're an idiot.

In short: perfect pilot, but I'm bored by the possibility of another Do Androids Dream and hope they take it in a different direction. If not, still seems like a very capable show. That saloon heist scene was damn great. What I loved most is its avoidance of ever giving us a sense of morality regarding the characters. It plays with your expectations with regards to the moral issue in, for example, killing the couple at the start. I love that at certain points they're people, objects, or unnervingly neither. It's an incredible hour of TV just for that.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
I've seen trailers for this

Wasn't sure if it'd be great or shit

But I'll not open Alis spoiler just in case
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Pastafarian96
Is it anything like the old movie?
I don't think [url="(Invalid video video code)]Yul Brynner is in it, somehow.

EDIT: Nice, that's not what the preview looked like.

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Hydra150
I've seen trailers for this

Wasn't sure if it'd be great or shit

But I'll not open Alis spoiler just in case

It's very good. Something tells me it's gonna be the next object of nerd adulation, like Game of Thrones.

Yeah please don't open that, but do check it out.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
I can't imagine it would be a real interesting topic for a TV show. There wasn't a hell of a lot to the original movie (it was a very sparse screenplay). I can only imagine how much they'd have to "flab" it up to fill an entire 8-10 episode season on HBO. But, HBO produces some great series (Sopranos, Tales From the Crypt, Dream on, GOT, etc).

I bet it's a decent show, I just don't know how the writers plan to stretch it into a full season.
Quote by TobusRex
I can't imagine it would be a real interesting topic for a TV show. There wasn't a hell of a lot to the original movie (it was a very sparse screenplay). I can only imagine how much they'd have to "flab" it up to fill an entire 8-10 episode season on HBO. But, HBO produces some great series (Sopranos, Tales From the Crypt, Dream on, GOT, etc).

I bet it's a decent show, I just don't know how the writers plan to stretch it into a full season.
Maybe have robots with personalities, rather than have them just be murderbots, maybe?
Quote by Diemon Dave
It's the best premier I've ever seen for a tv show. I knew what it was all about prior to seeing it and was still pretty blown away by the depth of the idea they were trying to go for.

The last 30 min arc with the father was just god damn amazing television. It's all been done before, but I've never felt so much for a robot since My Giant. Yeah, I'm real sucker for the end of that movie
Quote by TheChaz
good point maybe they'll kill you instead and this won't have been so bad

Quote by Eastwinn
when it comes down to it, i'm really inadequate

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I hope all Trump voters die. The last thread showed they were vindictive and spiteful people.
Last edited by bdof at Oct 4, 2016,
the last space western i watched was firefly and it made me want to kill myself so i do not think i will be watching this
i miss the old kanye
Quote by Primus2112
the last space western i watched was firefly and it made me want to kill myself so i do not think i will be watching this

I should probably watch Firefly to have a real opinion but to me it always seemed like it wasn't trying to be the most mainstream of shows in terms of it knew it was going to be rejected by lots of people but they stuck to the show anyway and that's why it's got such a niche cult following.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
its actually just trash

but mostly the writing turns me off

i dont even hate sci-fi westerns, for example i love the dark tower books and theyre basically just about an interdimensionally-traveling cowboy

but firefly has half-chinese soft swears. like "goddamn" is "gorram" (cuz the chinese took over earth or some shit), "fuck" is "rut"

and they all use old west and southern colloquialisms without a trace of a southern accent
i miss the old kanye
Last edited by Primus2112 at Oct 4, 2016,
Loved the first episode. The bar scene was brilliant
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by Primus2112

You're gonna be missing out. It's not what you think at all. It's not cowboys with laser guns or something. Just watch the damn pilot. You're probably gonna like it.

Quote by matt bickerton
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Maybe have robots with personalities, rather than have them just be murderbots, maybe?

Murderbots are the only reason I'd watch. Maybe a serial killerbot?
Last edited by TobusRex at Oct 5, 2016,
Quote by Primus2112
its actually just trash

but mostly the writing turns me off

i dont even hate sci-fi westerns, for example i love the dark tower books and theyre basically just about an interdimensionally-traveling cowboy

but firefly has half-chinese soft swears. like "goddamn" is "gorram" (cuz the chinese took over earth or some shit), "fuck" is "rut"

and they all use old west and southern colloquialisms without a trace of a southern accent

How is that half-Chinese? It's an English word with roots in middle English(where it came from middle French, which got it from the Latin verb rugitus).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
How is that half-Chinese? It's an English word with roots in middle English(where it came from middle French, which got it from the Latin verb rugitus).

I talk out of my ass around 67% of the time, I was only listing examples of garbage writing
i miss the old kanye
Quote by Primus2112
I talk out of my ass around 67% of the time, I was only listing examples of garbage writing
It's not really garbage writing, it's garbage network standards that the writers have to adapt to.
BSG did the same thing, and I'm pretty sure in at least one of the MCU films(which are, afaik, all PG rated), Loki calls Black Widow a cunt, except he uses a rather more obscure word to do it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
Ip's a cc now?
for months
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Is it anything like the old movie?

Nah, Yul Brynner died in 1985
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Primus2112
I talk out of my ass around 67% of the time

Your breath must smell awful
Quote by TobusRex
Your breath must smell awful

well yes, because cigarettes
i miss the old kanye
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's not really garbage writing, it's garbage network standards that the writers have to adapt to.
BSG did the same thing, and I'm pretty sure in at least one of the MCU films(which are, afaik, all PG rated), Loki calls Black Widow a cunt, except he uses a rather more obscure word to do it.

that's a fair point

I guess what it comes down to is, I dont like thing
i miss the old kanye
Quote by slapsymcdougal

It's not even network standards, it's law. Standards and practices depts are there to ensure the network doesn't get in trouble

Movies are different though. That has to do with age ratings, which are rather pointless now

Quote by matt bickerton
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 6, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It's not even network standards, it's law. Standards and practices depts are there to ensure the network doesn't get in trouble

Movies are different though. That has to do with age ratings, which are rather pointless now
Well, America is weird.

I mean, the BBC broadcast this

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, America is weird.

I mean, the BBC broadcast this

Yeah but the British public have individually been called cunts enough times to numb them to its meaning. In the rest of the world, I'm afraid, we still hold out hope of self-respect.

Chalk it up to historical American puritanism amounting to a fairly respectable supreme court ruling and a history of enforcement. Plenty of people would want the FCC downgraded to investigations of fraudulence (and all the other important shit it does) rather than regulations of morality. But hefty fines from offenses, especially in radio, generate revenue.

ANYWAY: Westworld is awesome. HBO has no standards and practices dept cuz it's not a broadcast network. Forget all this and just watch the damn pilot you bastards.

Quote by matt bickerton
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 6, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah but the British public have individually been called cunts enough times to numb them to its meaning. In the rest of the world, I'm afraid, we still hold out hope of self-respect the rest of the world become as pussified as us little lavender poofcakes.

Chalk it up to historical American puritanism amounting to a fairly respectable supreme court ruling and a history of enforcement. Plenty of people would want the FCC downgraded to investigations of fraudulence (and all the other important shit it does) rather than regulations of morality. But hefty fines from offenses, especially in radio, generate revenue.

ANYWAY: Westworld is awesome. HBO has no standards and practices dept cuz it's not a broadcast network. Forget all this and just watch the damn pilot you bastards.
ftfy
Quote by Diemon Dave
Heard absolutely nothing about this previously, but over the past 3 days I've seen references to it absolutely everywhere, so I'm intrigued. Will watch.
Pilot is a pretty much confirmed "holy shit, next week, hurry up and get here so the new episode can be watched"
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Pilot is a pretty much confirmed "holy shit, next week, hurry up and get here so the new episode can be watched"

Thank you.

Pro-Tip: watch it again. It's genuinely better on second watch.

Quote by matt bickerton
I just hope they didn't blow their wad in this first episode, which rang up about 1/4 of this season's near 100 million dollar budget.
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by Eastwinn

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I hope all Trump voters die. The last thread showed they were vindictive and spiteful people.
EARLY RELEASE FOR SECOND EPISODE! EARLY RELEASE FOR SECOND EPISODE! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/10/07/psa-the-second-episode-of-westworld-is-now-streaming-via-hbo

Quote by matt bickerton
I'd rather watch it on Sunday so I can contribute to the actual live viewership they need, especially when going up against that shit show of a debate that comes on at the same time. It's 2nd episode is gonna tank hard, but I won't be a part of the problem, tyvm.

Besides, I'd rather watch the debate on delay anyways
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by Eastwinn

Quote by EndTheRapture51
So many people are talking about how great this show is. I haven't given it a chance yet, despite being recommended this show twice on separate occasions. I'll get on it soon, it looks like It would interest me.
Terrific 2nd episode. Really liked seeing how we got to see what it would look like as a first timer preparing to enter Westworld.

Oh, and more naked Thandie Newton, please. Looking damn good for being nearly 44
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by Eastwinn

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by bdof at Oct 10, 2016,
Page 1 of 2