Page 1 of 2
Yeah, yeah. Another thread on anxiety. What makes mine different than the pages and pages I found already is that mine only strikes me when I'm really trying to buckle down on new technical(technique/theory) stuff. Give me a song and I'll work on it all day, get frustrated, take breaks, but no anxiety. Have me play in front of 150 people, nervous, yes a little, but not anxiety. But, give me 10 minutes of string skipping exercises, I feel like my chest is going to explode and I have to put the guitar down for a bit and calm myself down. What the heck?

Anyone have any useful suggestions? I am trying to take the guitar seriously and this is throwing a stick in my spokes.

And why at those times, when others I feel nothing but maybe a little nervous before a big solo?
I'll give you the best suggestion ever: go see a doctor.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
I feel like "Go see a doctor" has become as common as "What you need is a new amp" in recent days......
Today I introduced myself
to my own feelings
Anxiety is a serious mental/physical problem and if you're finding yourself in extreme physical discomfort then you need to go and visit and medical professional.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

bring back UG classic
Go see a new amp
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
The act of playing the guitar isn't supposed to be entertaining.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I feel like "Go see a doctor" has become as common as "What you need is a new amp" in recent days......

But it's not as bad of advice as that.

I feel like "Take medical advice from the UG forums" is recipe enough for a cacophony of slow, painful deaths.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
you need to turn around 3 times in each direction on 2 consecutive full moons should have you feeling back to normal in no time, it's to do with the gravitational pull of the moon and the tidal patterns
Quote by Dreadnought
You can't read very well can you

oh my bad I forgot you were a shitty clone of an already shitty user who contributes nothing but trash LOL my bad
Quote by kalypto
you need to turn around 3 times in each direction on 2 consecutive full moons should have you feeling back to normal in no time, it's to do with the gravitational pull of the moon and the tidal patterns

I've also heard you should bark like a dog while doing this, because dogs have superior healing powers - mentally and physically - and also be naked. You should also beat yourself with a stick to get the bad blood flowing - the gravitational pull will take care of the rest.
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
From 'General Forum Rules' at the top of The Pit:

Quote by Shura_FYI
UG isn't a medical website
- Don't ask for medical advice here. Speak to a doctor or other healthcare professional.
Gee, someone's trying to become a mod
Today I introduced myself
to my own feelings
what you need is a new guitar
Quote by Pizzafan
k.lainad Im going to use twine, tie a broom handle to a pizza, put guitar string on it, and make love to your mom with a pizztar

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by bass.desires
I'm not going to see a doctor for this. I guess I'll figure it out myself.
Why not?

People need to get out of the mindset that mental health issues will just go away on their own. If you broke your arm, you'd go and see a doctor, right? Why should your brain be any different?
To be honest most of my problems usually go away by just waiting. Patience is the key
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Obligatory go see a doctor.

But if you don't want to do that I can let you know what I did to overcome my anxiety when being under water.

Had it real bad, could barely take showers without getting all breathy and feeling like I was going to drown. So to fix it I'd put myself in situations I knew were relatively safe if I had an anxiety attack. This meant hanging out at the beach or pool with friends who knew about my problem and were cool with it. I'd go submerge myself, fully expecting to go into a panic attack, and just try to control it as best I could. If things didn't work out, I had a support system in place to help me out.

It took a few months of doing it over and over again, forcing myself into the situation I knew would give me panic attacks, and then experiencing them while attempting to control the extent of the attack (mostly through the use of breathing exercises and just plain ol' willpower). Eventually I was able to eliminate the anxious feeling entirely. Showers are actually really enjoyable now and I can put my head under the water just fine.

That said everyone is different and if you think attempting to overcome your anxiety by attacking it directly might be dangerous to you in any way then I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by bass.desires
I'm not going to see a doctor for this. I guess I'll figure it out myself.

Go
See
A
Doctor
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Sedatives

If you know the right people you won't need to visit a doctor
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 4, 2016,
Quote by zgr0826
Go
See
A
Doctor

Why? Seems like a pretty small problem that doesn't really affect anyone else. An exception to this might be if someone had the plague and was purposely not getting treatment in order to infect as many people as possible. But that's more like rudimentary bioterrorism and is probably illegal anyway.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
It's always good to rule out something biological.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Sounds kind of like an engram in dianetics. Go see a hypnotist.
Last edited by geo-rage at Oct 4, 2016,
Lol I normally don't have issues with it, the odd thing and why I posted in the first place was because of the "when". It isn't really affecting my day to day life only my practice effectiveness. Most doctors would either laugh it off and tell me to keep at it, or prescribe me something which is ridiculous. Why would I take a medication that affects me 99% of my day for a problem that hits less than 1%?
What are you thinking about when you start practicing the guitar?

It should be, "I should see a professional about this inexplicable, intense anxiety that is interfering with something I enjoy doing.
Really... what is a doctor going to do? It sounds like an irrational episode. Unless there are other episodes in other times that you arent talking about, and why would you here? Perhaps turning around 3 times during a full moon could help somehow. Maybe showing some non-judgemental friends how it happens will help. Like when your friends show up to a concert, you can feel more relaxed.
Aeolian Harmony That is well put sir. After dinner I have some work to do on guitar and I'll see if I can control it. I used to have bad anxiety even picking up the axe but overcame that over time and suspect I can do the same here. The 'trigger' is what I thought was super weird. As I said before, playing in front of a decent crowd doesn't bother me. I even sing and play. For some reason that corner of the woodshed has a rake I trip on.
Last edited by bass.desires at Oct 4, 2016,
Quote by bass.desires
Aeolian Harmony That is well put sir. After dinner I have some work to do on guitar and I'll see if I can control it. I used to have bad anxiety even picking up the axe but overcame that over time and suspect I can do the same here. The 'trigger' is what I thought was super weird. As I said before, playing in front of a decent crowd doesn't bother me. I even sing and play. For some reason that corner of the woodshed has a rake I trip on.

Whatever works man
so what i'm getting from op is you don't get anxiety unless you're feeling anxious

real talk though, 'anxiety' is a nebulous phrase that colloquially is an umbrella term for 'any and all emotional discomfort', which is why it's used as a synonym for nervousness, even though they aren't the same. anxiety is an actual physical symptom. uncontrollable tremors, trouble breathing, wandering eyes, inability to move, etc, those are all anxiety. and those are all bad things.

i can armchair therapist you and say that you're a perfectionist which is why you get anxiety when you practice, because the very act of practicing means you aren't good enough, downward spiral etc

but seriously, go see someone. a therapist or a doctor or a family member idk. this stuff can't be solved via forum armchair enthusiasts.
Also (again, not a professional of any variety), but sometimes caffeine can intensify anxiety symptoms. Something to be keep in mind.
Aeolian Harmony staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.

Baby Joel: I think you hit the nail on the head. Lol when I read your post, all I could think of was "He's right". Well shoot.
Quote by Victory2134
Why? Seems like a pretty small problem that doesn't really affect anyone else. An exception to this might be if someone had the plague and was purposely not getting treatment in order to infect as many people as possible. But that's more like rudimentary bioterrorism and is probably illegal anyway.
You only go and see a doctor if your ailments affect other people? Wut?
Quote by matt bickerton
You only go and see a doctor if your ailments affect other people? Wut?

If it's a small problem you think you can handle yeah on your own then yeah.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by bass.desires
Aeolian Harmony staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.

Baby Joel: I think you hit the nail on the head. Lol when I read your post, all I could think of was "He's right". Well shoot.

It's signature-fixin' time
Quote by Victory2134
If it's a small problem you think you can handle yeah on your own then yeah.
Like...anxiety? k
Quote by matt bickerton
Like...anxiety? k

Yeah, OP clearly thinks he can tackle it on his own so there's no need to keep forcing this 'go see a doctor' business down his throat. It's a small problem for him that doesn't affect anyone else, I think it's perfectly fine for him to not go to a doctor for it.

It's the equivalent of going to a dermatologist for a 2mm skin tag on the side of your foot. I mean sure you could see a doctor, or you could ask around and find out that you can just clip it off yourself no problem.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Yeah, OP clearly thinks he can tackle it on his own so there's no need to keep forcing this 'go see a doctor' business down his throat. It's a small problem for him that doesn't affect anyone else, I think it's perfectly fine for him to not go to a doctor for it.

It's the equivalent of going to a dermatologist for a 2mm skin tag on the side of your foot. I mean sure you could see a doctor, or you could ask around and find out that you can just clip it off yourself no problem.
I don't really understand how you think you're qualified enough to determine that OP's anxiety isn't something to worry about. That's something only a qualified doctor can diagnose.

Even if at the very least the doctor says it'll go away quite easily with xyz, that's a safer option than 'Oh well yeah I was going to see someone about it, but Victory2134 on UG said it was nothing to worry about so I feel pretty confident with that prognosis'.

I repeat, from earlier in the thread:

Quote by Shura_FYI
UG isn't a medical website
- Don't ask for medical advice here. Speak to a doctor or other healthcare professional.

If you'd ever suffered from anxiety, I don't think you'd be as quick to poo poo this advice

EDIT: I don't mean to sound as confrontational as that post seems, all I'm saying that no one here is qualified to say how badly OP is suffering and how likely it is to resolve itself, so only a Doctor can do that - even if they agree with you
Last edited by matt bickerton at Oct 5, 2016,
Quote by matt bickerton
I don't really understand how you think you're qualified enough to determine that OP's anxiety isn't something to worry about. That's something that, oh I dunno, maybe a doctor might be better off diagnosing?

Even if at the very least the doctor says it'll go away quite easily with xyz, that's a safer option than 'Oh well yeah I was going to see someone about it, but Victory2134 on UG said it was nothing to worry about so I feel pretty confident with that prognosis'.

OP clearly isn't worried about it enough to go to a doctor, he even said so himself. He even pointed out that the situation in which he gets anxiety is so specific that it hardly even affects him. I don't think I'm qualified to diagnose how serious his anxiety is, but I definitely think OP is qualified to understand how his anxiety affects him. If OP doesn't believe it's serious enough to see a doctor for then I'm not going to sit there and tell him he needs to see a doctor when it's something that even he realizes hardly affects himself.

Quote by matt bickerton
If you'd ever suffered from anxiety, you wouldn't be so quick to poo poo this advice

Is this some kind of joke? Did you even read my original post?

Quote by matt bickerton
EDIT: I don't mean to sound as confrontational as that post seems, all I'm saying that no one here is qualified to say how badly OP is suffering and how likely it is to resolve itself, so only a Doctor can do that - even if they agree with you

I absolutely agree that the only people capable of understanding the true extent of OP's suffering would be a doctor and himself.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Oct 5, 2016,
With all due respect, whatever level OP thinks he does or doesn't have anxiety - who's going to offer the better advice, a doctor, or a fuckin' internet forum? I still don't understand the argument that a doctor would be a waste of time, but we're the 'go to' people for this kind of problem.

Also, I've only just read your first post. You first mentioned 'obligatory see a doctor', but then in your next post you question someone else for recommending he go and see a doctor - so forgive my confusion? All pointing me in the direction of your first post has done is highlight you contradicting yourself.
I'd suggest benzodiazepines as quick leviation to anxiety (with a doctor's script of course)...but you might forget everything you did while practicing, but then again that's why you'd need it...it's quite the conundrum.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 5, 2016,
Quote by stratkat
I'd suggest benzodiazepines as quick leviation to anxiety (with a doctor's script of course)...but you might forget everything you did while practicing, but then again that's why you'd need it...it's quite the conundrum.

Made me laugh kind sir!
What excercises in particular cause you distress? Is it something about working on your chops for a while that makes you panic because of stressing improvement or something?

If it's string-skipping stuff, I'm gonna presume that Paul Gilbert's face-melting shredz is one of the causes. Slow and steady brah
Page 1 of 2