Times where songs written for movies are just so much better than the movie.

Page 1 of 2
The best example I can think of is I Believe I Can Fly by R Kelly. It was written for Space Jam (take off the nostalgia glasses, turbonerds), but it's a wonderfully composed, written, and performed song. Like, for realsies, this song would be a perfect fit in some dramatic documentary about some underprivileged group overcoming something through the powers of love and tolerance, not a movie about Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan playing basketball.

What are some examples that pop into your head?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
None. Movies are always and forever the superior medium. Even clunkers.

EDIT: I'm not advocating for its superiority over all mediums, but music is such bullshit.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 4, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
None. Movies are always and forever the superior medium. Even clunkers.

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Not songs, but underscore - film music - is often better than the film. Lots of Jerry Goldsmith-scored films, for example.
Laugh it up ladies but no music will ever make you feel the things that other mediums do.

Also sorry for ruining your thread so fast. I like a lot of music from films but for a piece of music to eclipse a movie is just an outlandish notion.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
The entire Godzilla (1998) Soundtrack was better than the movie.

I never thought the movie was bad since I was a kid at the time, but hey critics are critics.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Laugh it up ladies but no music will ever make you feel the things that other mediums do.

You don't know what I feel, brah. I have a much more emotional reaction to music than I do TV and film.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
heathens by twenty one pilots for suicide squad

( i have not seen suicide squad yet )

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by zgr0826
You don't know what I feel, brah. I have a much more emotional reaction to music than I do TV and film.

You're watching movies wrong
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Don't bother.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

music is better than film

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

How dare YOU, a non-white person, tell me how to consume media?! Check your non-privilege!
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Quote by zgr0826
How dare YOU, a non-white person, tell me how to consume media?! Check your non-privilege!

Hey I gave no instructions buddy

Quote by k.lainad
sorry op

ali has a bad habit of ruining threads

Ziggy don't you dare accept this apology.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 4, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Hey I gave no instructions buddy

See, this discussion is making me feel more things than the movie I watched last night.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
You bastard.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You bastard.

Deal with it, fam.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Quote by EndTheRapture51

just what I was gonna say, except I'd remove the word "yet"
It was my privilege
Quote by zgr0826
Deal with it, fam.

I am undone by your wiles.

Okay, I can think of maybe one instance where a piece of music swells in a film and I lose my focus and think only of that music. It's whenever An Ending (Ascent) comes up. Although that's no fault of the medium okay pal?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I am undone by your wiles.

Okay, I can think of maybe one instance where a piece of music swells in a film and I lose my focus and think only of that music. It's whenever An Ending (Ascent) comes up. Although that's no fault of the medium okay pal?

Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Quote by EndTheRapture51

don't bother, you're right

Chill song, dumb movie.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
The Singles soundtrack is better than the movie
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Also sorry for ruining your thread so fast. I like a lot of music from films but for a piece of music to eclipse a movie is just an outlandish notion.

What?

I must disagree.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Bulworth
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Batdance was like the worst Prince song ever though.
I think it may have been his last hit.

Also, some of these songs being mentioned weren't written for the movie, they just happen to be on the soundtrack.

For the win I have to go with Ben performed by Michael Jackson.
Written for the movie Ben, sequel to Willard. About killer rats.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

spoken like a man with no imagination.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Film often appeals to the more tangible while music appeals more to the abstract.

bitch ass muhfucker.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by EyeNon15
Batdance was like the worst Prince song ever though.
I think it may have been his last hit..

and idk how big the song actually was but i deffo remember vh1 or mtv debuting the video for black sweat back when 3121 came out. id be shocked if this didnt turn out to be a hit but i cbf looking up record sales or chart numbers
http://www.universal-music.de/prince/videos/detail/video:87992/black-sweat
Maybe I See Fire.

Singles is a great example of a film being carried by its soundtrack.

Iris was made for a film and I no idea what film so it's probably bigger than the film.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I thought The Avangers was overrated as hell but the song Soundgarden made for it is great.
Purple Rain
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Xiaoxi
Film often appeals to the more tangible while music appeals more to the abstract.

bitch ass muhfucker.

You can call it more tangible but it is abstractions made lucid. Movies are dreams raised from vagueness, music's just the soundtrack ??
You underestimate the visual nature of listening to music. The projections of narratives I get when listening to music is so powerful it can definitely rival the creation of film. It's sort of like Fry with that thing he tries playing to impress Leela where the quality of the music creates the quality of the image, always found that so beautiful, not exactly the same idea, but similar ish.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Page 1 of 2