Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site.
I am a self-taught and I have been playing guitar for 4 month.
Recommend me some great rhythm guitarist(except Malcom Young) and their songs. And also recommend me funk(not funk-rock, funk-metal)rhythm guitarist.

P.s. If it possible, post the link of tabs
check out James Brown his bands..the guitarists can make a metronome blush..check the tune Get On Up..when you can play that kind of funk your ready
play well

wolf
Leo Nocentelli of The Meters is the godfather of funk guitar. Also check out Nile Rodgers, especially during his Chic days.
Seconding Niles Rodgers. That's about as classic funk guitar as you can get. He's also on Daft Punk's hit "Get Lucky".

There's surprising diversity within the Funk genre, so you'd do best to check out a number of acts and their guitar stylings. Through the 70s and 80s, funk guitar dominated popular recordings, even outside the genre. Listen to anything like Tower of Power, Maceo Parker (of James Brown fame), Average White Band, any of Michael Jackson's funkier pop songs, Steely Dan's funkier stuff, Larry Carlton, Earth Wind and Fire, Isley Brothers, Rick James, SOS Band, Prince... more than studying particular guitarists, I think it's important to listen to a wide range of funky music and get the full picture of how that style of guitar shows up.

As for tabs... learning the chords to funk songs is easy enough. The challenge of funk rhythm is dynamics, particularly in the right hand.
Quote by Rexirion
And what about Rock Rhythm Guitarists and their songs?

That's a bit more of a wide question. Of course, there are name rhythm guitarists like Rudolph Schenker (Scorpions), Steve Clarke (Def Leppard) and Robin Crosby (Ratt), but they also did solos every now and then. Eddie Van Halen, although known for his leads, is considered a great rhythm guitar player. All in all, most rock guitarists perform double-duty, very rarely is there a guitarist who is strictly rhythm-only like Malcolm Young.
How about flipping this round a bit - what are the guitarists that YOU like? After all I'm assuming that there's several bands you like that inspired you to start playing? If you're looking for new stuff to play then the music you already like is usually the most logical place to start, if you're looking for new stuff to listen to chuck a few names out. People can recommend songs of theirs to check out, or recommend similar artists or, even better, the artists that inspired them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd say Walter Becker, although I could be mistaken of who plays what due to all the session guys they used. Steely Dan has a lot of really solid jazz and funk rhythm guitar.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
James Hetfield. Arguably the greatest rhythm guitarist ever. I know he's metal, but, even if you don't like the music that much, you can learn a ton just by playing some of his riffs (and definitely improve your downpicking).
Check out any 3 piece band.

If you want to learn from rhythm guitar players though, watch most good lead players. Eddie Van Halen has already been mentioned, great rhythm player, he has to be. He's famous for his leads but plays more rhythm guitar by a mile. Rush, Alex Lifeson is hard to beat. ZZ Top..nuff said. And like someone else said, listen to the players you really like.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Rexirion
definitely steely dan, doobies, bobby weir, jeff beck has some nice rhythm parts on blow by blow....csny have some nice depth that you could definitely learn a thing or too from and idk man the list goes on and on.
James Hetfield (Metallica), Scott Ian (Anthrax), Bill Kelliher (Mastodon)
Classic examples, but they're classic for a reason:

Hendrix - one of the first to use the guitar as the centerpiece in an ensemble, using it to fill out the sound like a piano or vocal section would have done traditionally. Really groundbreaking use of musical space, with regard to electric guitar. Look at his contemporaries like Eric Clapton, who is amazing, but who didn't use space in nearly the same way.

Jimmy Page - Extremely versatile rhythm player, and explored harmonies that were very unusual in rock music. Also really under-credited as a producer. There is just a ridiculous amount of detailed, layered guitar work on their mid-career albums. Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti are, in my opinion, some of their most harmonically and stylistically adventurous music.
I would still recommend James Hetfield. James is a living metronome and learning rhythm skills from his playing would help you immensely. Branching out is also something that I would recommend.
Hendrix is the king of rhythm guitar - that remains to this day - spend time on him.

Nile Rogers etc are the main players.

John Scofield can provide more advanced rhythm guitar than the typical funk players - check out the A Go Go album - Chank etc. Lead is his specialty, but his rhythm is ferocious.
Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan - very heavy handed approach that no one has since matched. Check out Couldn't Stand the Weather and Rude Mood - killer rhythms.
Everyone always talks about Hendrix as a lead player, but he was a FAR better rhythm guitarist than he was a lead player.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
A great rock (well... metal) rhythm guitarist: Keith Merrow. Songs like "Pillars of Creation" are just sick
There's surprising diversity within the Funk genre, so you'd do best to check out a number of acts and their guitar stylings.
Johnny Ramone, his downstroke technique is insane, eric melvin from nofx
Pete Townshend. Pushed the use of the power chord to new extremes. Also, his songs have tons of chords in them as is. Check out 'PinBall Wizard' by the Who where he uses a ton of chords flamenco-strummed chords on acoustic guitar in the verses.