So my cheap clip-on tuner finally crapped out the other day. I don't really give a shit since I only paid like $2 for it anyway, but as I shop for a new one, I'm doing a bit of research on the pros and cons of different tuner types. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of clip-on versus plug-in tuners? I've heard that plugins are more accurate, but if that's not true I really don't want to spend the extra 20-ish dollars. Recommendations for specific models are more than welcome.
Turbo Tuner is going to be one of the more accurate pedals you can get. Worth every penny IMHO.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Any tuner around the $20 mark will be roughly similar in terms of quality and a clip-on is probably your best bet.

I really like the Fender ones.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Clip ons are great unless you're in an area that's really noisy, and then they can be thrown off.
I'm really, REALLY not a fan of the aesthetic of a clip-on tuner. I've used them a few times, but I just think it throws the whole vibe of the instrument off for some reason.

Dumb visual choices aside, if you get the right pedal tuner, it'll be just as accurate as the best clip-on tuner, but with the advantage of not being thrown off by random vibrations, plus it will mute your signal so your audience doesn't hear you tuning.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
I'm really, REALLY not a fan of the aesthetic of a clip-on tuner. I've used them a few times, but I just think it throws the whole vibe of the instrument off for some reason.

Dumb visual choices aside, if you get the right pedal tuner, it'll be just as accurate as the best clip-on tuner, but with the advantage of not being thrown off by random vibrations, plus it will mute your signal so your audience doesn't hear you tuning.

Point A is valid.
Point B: Your guitar has a volume knob for that exact reason
Quote by darkwolf291
Fair. I'm probably just lazy.
I also like to be switching on/off pedals for the start of the next song and changing any settings on them that I need to with my feet while I'm tuning, and if I'm already looking down I can just get everything done at once. It's just simpler for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Pedal tuners are a lot more reliable. They aren't affected by background noise like clip-on tuners are, the decent ones are very ruggedly built, don't get lost easily and they're generally more accurate.

The TC Polytune, Boss TU-3 and the Korg Pitchblack are all good.
Quote by darkwolf291

Try changing guitars silently during a gig with this method.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 5, 2016,
they are different tools for different purposes.

i have three pitchblacks.
i have probably five or six clip on tuners.

every bag i use regularly has a clip on in it. three of my four pedalboards have the pitchblacks. i will purchase a fourth if i can find another on clearance.

for home use. i use my phone most of the time. not as accurate though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pedal tuners are a lot more reliable. They aren't affected by background noise like clip-on tuners are, the decent ones are very ruggedly built, don't get lost easily and they're generally more accurate.

The TC Polytune, Boss TU-3 and the Korg Pitchblack are all good.
Try changing guitars silently during a gig with this method.

Also this. When I play bass I usually use one bass through a whole gig, but with my metal band I need to switch between my 6- and 7-strings a few times.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
clip ons are great for quick tune ups live but a plug in is more likely to be accurate. TOODEEPBLUE is right though at $20 neither is likely to be more accurate than the other. peraonally I prefer plug ins but in a band between songs the clip on is easy and doesn't take up room on the floor.
Well, I am kinda loony and own about a dozen different tuners including several phone apps. I think there is very little difference in tuning accuracy from $5 - $200 but a big difference in convenience and being able to read it and get the information you need quickly. Some tend to jump around a lot and others are a bit too slow to move.

My favorite plug in-pedal: Boss TU-3
My favorite clip-on: Polytune
Both are pretty awesome live or studio and WAY better than the cheap knockoffs.

The trick with clip-ons is to clip it to your guitar strap or mic stand when not in use so it doesn't foul the guitar headstock eye candy. In terms of tuning at a live gig I find them equally useful.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 7, 2016,
the only problem you will have with a clip-on is if you are trying to tune and the bass is doing some kind of drone or interlude, sometimes that will fuck it up. i have had that happen before.

what did i do? smack him on the back of the head and told him to shut the fuck up, i am trying to tune my guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
the only problem you will have with a clip-on is if you are trying to tune and the bass is doing some kind of drone or interlude, sometimes that will fuck it up. i have had that happen before.

what did i do? smack him on the back of the head and told him to shut the fuck up, i am trying to tune my guitar.

^^ Bass noodling is a problem with all tuners because the guitar strings resonate with their frequencies and it screws up our clean harmonics. Smacking the bass player or simply pushing over his rig usually gets him to shut up.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Quote by Cajundaddy
^^ Bass noodling is a problem with all tuners because the guitar strings resonate with their frequencies and it screws up our clean harmonics. Smacking the bass player or simply pushing over his rig usually gets him to shut up.

I haven't had a problem with bass notes interfering with my pitchblack though.

and we all know that bassists are second class, under-educated degenerates. they need a smack on the head to straighten them up on a regular basis.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

One other advantage of a plugin tuner like a Boss TU-3 is that it has a buffer. I was having tone-suck problems from my pedals and several people suggested putting a buffered pedal at the front. Since this is exactly where a tuner pedal should go, the TU-3 not only gave me a good tuner, it also solved my tone suck problem and works me a handy kill switch. I still use clip-ons for my acoustic guitars, but that's about it.