I don't care about a built in drum machine, metronome, ability to save loops, multiple layers, or any of that. All I want is a pedal that allows me to record a rhythm, press a button, play leads over it for as long as I want, allow me to press the button again to delete it, and rinse and repeat. Anything below $100 would be nice. That's literally all I want.

I own a Boss RC-2, but after owning it for a year, it just basically does whatever random nonsense it wants. Sometimes, the light randomly blinks and doesn't allow me to record. Sometimes, it does allow me to record, but randomly cuts me off whenever it feels like, then doesn't let me record again for a random amount of time. On a good day, I'll get a 2 minute solo off before it just shuts off on me. Whether the rhythm is still there or not is completely random. Delete function does nothing, and there is literally no factory reset function, I've scanned the manual inside and out. It basically has a mind of its own. I think it might even be possessed. I never saved any tracks, and I rarely use the drum machine, so I pretty much wasted $200 (at the time) on garbage. This is what I DON'T want.

The only "features" I'm really looking for is to allow me to record for at least 5 minutes. I also want to be able to plug in a 9v adapter into it (which I already have), I don't believe in batteries for guitar pedals. I've been looking around, and I found a pedal that seems pretty good, but I just want to make sure it's not too good to be true. This is it: https://www.amazon.com/Hotone-Skyline-Compact-Looper-Guitar/dp/B00JZZWUEA

It looks like exactly what I want. Below $100, basic features, 15 minute tracks, 9v, and it's even got a neat little pitch shiftier, which isn't a make or break feature, but it's welcoming.

I also came across this pedal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S1AO7NC/ref=psdc_486433011_t2_B00JZZWUEA

The TC Helicon Ditto Mic Looper Pedal seems like a great pedal too, but I noticed that it only records up to 5 minutes as oppose to 15 minutes, and doesn't have a pitch shifter. Is there any particular reason why it costs more money than the WALLY looper pedal, since the WALLY seems to have more overall features than the Ditto? That confuses me. Is it better sound quality, or more durable, or something like that?

Summary: What is the best loop pedal I can get that allows me to only record tracks, solo over them, delete them, and do this over and over for as cheap as possible without all the extra features that I never use?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Based on what you are asking for I'd say that wanting 15 min over 5 min is not rational. Who needs a 15 min rhythm to solo over? 15 mins and no storage is pretty much something nobody will use. And why in the world do you think a loop pedal should have a pitch shifter? You might as well require a string changer as well. So yeah, get the Wally and let us know how it works. I doubt anyone has one yet. I've just started seeing them advertised.
Well even if I don't need 15 minutes or a pitch shifter, it's still cheaper than the other one, that's why I'm considering the Wally over the Ditto. I'm just wondering why exactly a pedal that seems to have more features would be cheaper than a pedal that has less features. I want to know what the catch is, if there is one. Does it break easier? Does the sound quality drastically change? etc.

I never said that I think a loop pedal should have a pitch shifter, I said that it "isn't a make or break feature", but it's nice to have. I probably won't use it a lot, but I'm not gonna take the pedal apart and patch it so that I can't use the pitch shifter, you know what I mean?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
The ditto you linked is a microphone looper with balanced XLR input/outputs. The Hotone just uses standard unbalanced 1/4" jacks.

That accounts for some of the price difference.

Don't buy that particular ditto if you're not using XLR.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
For practice, I use a Digitech Jamman Express. Just loop, overdub, and volume. Stereo in and out. Sounds great, too.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I agree with the basic ditto looper. They are awesome and simple. Nothing fancy. Just ultimate foot controlled looping.
I just bought the Boss RC-1 simple, intuitive, couldn't ask for more. $99...

EDIT: Really good pedal, even though it isn't true bypass like the Ditto.

Just record, overdub, stop, & hold to delete. 6 minutes of stereo recording with a level knob & and the good thing about the RC-1 vs. the Ditto is the LCD display shows you where your are at in the loop and before it repeats.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Oct 6, 2016,
Quote by RoboRobot
Well even if I don't need 15 minutes or a pitch shifter, it's still cheaper than the other one, that's why I'm considering the Wally over the Ditto. I'm just wondering why exactly a pedal that seems to have more features would be cheaper than a pedal that has less features. I want to know what the catch is, if there is one. Does it break easier? Does the sound quality drastically change? etc.

I never said that I think a loop pedal should have a pitch shifter, I said that it "isn't a make or break feature", but it's nice to have. I probably won't use it a lot, but I'm not gonna take the pedal apart and patch it so that I can't use the pitch shifter, you know what I mean?
I think you mean "tempo shifter". I don't see anything about pitch shifting in the description. Also, look at the comments. A lot of complaints about the thing malfunctioning.
The ditto is only 20 bucks more. And it is a fine quality looper, and a very simple one to use. Easy loop and deletes with just one button and multiple layers of loops.

The only way it could get better is with two. Which they make
Buy a Ditto. Simple and great. Used is always an option too!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
You could buy a used Zoom G3 and only use the looper. Its very easy to use and its actually a good looper. But, if you wanted, you could also use the drum beats (they're very basic and metronome like) and fx and other features...tuner. Sounds good through headphones too. It doesn't seem simple but it is, no manual needed, you'd be looping straight outta the box its so user friendly.

Though any simple looper would work, they're all fun to use.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20