Hey guys, what's up?
I've been looking for a new shredding machine for a while now and I just this idea of getting a cheap superstrat with some good tonewood (probably mahogany) and fast maple neck and change the hardware for a better tone. Which guitars do you recommend? I've heard really well of the Cort Viva Gold series, specially for this kind of project. Also, is it worth the money or should I save some more and go for a Ibby Prestige, or a boutique guitar?
Thanks,
Alan.
You do know with any guitar, the value doesn't increase even if you add premium parts and components, the guitar is only worth how much the buyer is willing to pay.

Now, important questions: What body shape do you prefer? What bridge (hardtail, fulcrum, Floyd Rose, super-strat, etc many more not mention) do you like? What kind of neck radius and shape? How many strings (6, 7 or 8) do you want? What pickup configuration (SSS, HSS, HP90, HH, P90P90, Piezo pickups hybrid) and passive or active? The fret size is subjective (jumbo, medium jumbo, silver Nickel, stainless steel, EVO-gold) but also affects playability. What fretboard wood material (rosewood, maple, ebony, wenge, mahogany, purple heart, etc) do you prefer the feel of? What body wood (alder, mahogany, ash, walnut, maple, pine, etc) do you like (the denser the wood the heavier the guitar). Almost forgot, painted or natural neck?

If you are able to answer most questions, you already described what guitar you want.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
psp742 Yeah I know that, my question is that if the money I'll spend on the upgrades won't be as expensive as getting a very good guitar such as a Prestige Ibby, a Kiesel or a boutique guitar.
So the body shape would be a 6 strings Superstrat kind, anything close to a Suhr modern, Jackson Soloist or a Ibby S Series. The bridge would be a Floyd Rose, either Gotoh or Standard FR. The pickup configuration I'm looking for is either HSH or HH. I've got no ideia what's the fret material, but I want them to be jumbo sized. Woods would probably be Mahogany for the body, ebony or rosewood for the fretboard and a Maple neck. And the neck would be natural.
The problem is, I live in Brazil and getting a new guitar here would be a bit too expensive. So I'm thinking of getting an used one and mod it, but the problems with cheap used guitars is that the wood quality can be a bit low. That's why I'm asking if you guys know any cheap superstrats with high quality woods.
Try scouring the local USED instruments where you live.. Do you have any music stores that sell new / USED instruments? I suggest buying either made in Japan or made in Korea as they have better quality and workmanship is usually top notch..

I agree that buying a new guitar and having it shipped where you live would result in high importation tax.. that alone would be make any guitar too expensive that it wouldn't make sense.

How is the music instrument trade / swap meets where you live.. you may need to expand the distance from you to get better option.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
There's not really such a thing as 'Tonewood' with amplified electric guitars. That doesn't necessarily mean to say that it cannot make a difference under any circumstance, but the differences between one wood and the other can never be consistently determined just by listening to how the guitar suonds. There are simply far more important things to worry about if you want to sound good and those other more important things mask whatever difference the wood could possibly be making anyway. The only real concerning factors with wood are weight and aesthetics. So long as it doesn't have any structural defects like knots, you'll be just fine.

What sort of guitars are available used in your local area?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 6, 2016,
^ I sort of agree and sort of disagree.

At the same time, I think that's kind of irrelevant- you need to be careful if you *do* care about wood, because there are so many species masquerading as mahogany, and it's almost guaranteed that cheaper guitars won't be using "genuine" mahogany. So if you're buying a cheaper guitar because it has a good tonewood such as mahogany, that's kind of a bad plan.

it's really up to you regarding the guitars. i'd say getting a least up to prestige level or similar with ibanez is a good idea, especially if you're spending so much on upgrades that you're hitting that price point anyway. You won't get much (or maybe even any) money back on upgrades (unless you sell them separately) and you'll still have not-quite-as-good-a-guitar underneath those upgrades.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Just remember that in order to get "better" tone, you have to be able to define what is wrong with what you have. The super cheap pickups in my Peavey are a lot better to my ear than the SD Jazz I have in a couple of other guitars.