Page 1 of 2
PRE-MOD CLIP IN VID IN BOTTOM

this was kind of a surprise actually.

i was looking for amps to mod for educational purposes. i wanted something cheap, as i don't have a ton of extra cash flowing around at the moment.

i saw a listing for a peavey valve king 1x12". EXACTLY what i wanted. he said he was open to offers, so i threw out a long shot, which was a Randall SS 100W 1x12" combo. the randall i scooped up a few years ago for $40. it was in good shape but i didn't like it. the guy bit, and this is mine:

excuse the mess in the background i am working on finishing my new workspace.

so i have $40 into a VK. the catch is its 220-240V. he EVEN threw in a step-up transformer. so happy modding to me! i will be keeping you up as i go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 12, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
The input voltage is easily fixed by just switching two wires right?

should be.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by Will Lane
The input voltage is easily fixed by just switching two wires right?

Also: https://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

I know the wiki space well. thanks though,it is appreciated.

will- do you still have you're VK?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I know the wiki space well. thanks though,it is appreciated.

will- do you still have you're VK?
Yes I do. Also, I presume you are planning on the "actually reasonable speaker" mod.
Quote by Will Lane
Yes I do. Also, I presume you are planning on the "actually reasonable speaker" mod.

haha. if i use it it would be into another cab. i may make it into a head.

this is mainly a learning experience and for fun (i have built small amps before 18w, 5f1, jtm45) but this will be something different.

if i keep it, i will have both the combo, and i will build a head cab, so i can swap the chassis around for different things. for example, its a nice amp to drag into a shitty bar and not worry about, that is more logical for the combo. if i were to do a gig, or use it for recording (ok, that probably won't happen much with this amp as it is tube amp number 17 or 18 of my collection). but i will have it do both.

i did the same with an older ampeg combo, i use it as a head in a head cab, and i put it back into the combo if i need it.

full functionality is my goal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Will Lanei sub'd to your youtube, i am in the process of starting a channel too. i have some videos to edit before i put them up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats

Brings back memories. Not a bad amp all. Great amp to mod with so you did good there. Mesa mod, Marshall mod, fixed bias mod, head mod, etc etc

you had one too, right? not bad though.

the cleans are better than i remember, and the OD, is how i remember it, which wasn't great.

did you ever get around to modding yours? any recommendations of which mod set to do? i do know that i will be adding a choke, and if i do the marshall set, i am going to do the 'sag' mod to it. it should be nice and plexi-ish.

i have covered about six textbooks on electrical engineering in the last year. so i will know what i am doing a little more as far as the tech stuff goes and the technical side of what resistors and caps do what.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

311ZOSOVHJH i forgot to mention that my first tube amp 2007(?) was a VK100 head.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Yes, I did have a VK112 at one point.

It was my first tube amp as well. Great starter amp. Especially if you need a clean channel, decent FX loop, and are not afraid to make some modifications.

I personally did not do any of the more intense mods. You obviously have far surpassed me as it relates to electrical/technical acumen.

The big improvements of course were better tubes, better speaker, dummy jack trick and FX loop connect like you are doing. I went with an Eminence Red Coat Man O War 12": But really, most any speaker swap will far exceed the crappy stock speaker.

Doing those things and my amp went from this:

to this:

Good luck Derek and have fun....

Happy modding!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
HNAD and happy modding! 40$ for any tube amp is a hell of a score

I've getting around to finish the head cab for my Ultra 112 for a while as I'm planning to switch the chassis around as well, even have the pieces cut but I didn't have the time to finish

Glad to see you found what you were looking for super cheap.

Definitely run a head conversion. I'd love to see you run a Mesa mod and cover the case in orange tolex to confuse people.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Glad to see you found what you were looking for super cheap.

Definitely run a head conversion. I'd love to see you run a Mesa mod and cover the case in orange tolex to confuse people.

haha.

I am thinking the JCM mods with a choke and bias mods. to start.

I am maybe thinking about doing the sag resistor mod and new transformers and if so possibly seeing about modding it for el34's.

what do you all think about this?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

nice
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Boring c'mon now. once you delve into what the VK has to offer you'll be singing a different tune. they are better than most people give them credit for. as long as you don't have stupid expectations they are surprisingly good.

I expect that by this time next month you'll have modded it into the perfect tone machine so get to work
Quote by trashedlostfdup
haha.

I am thinking the JCM mods with a choke and bias mods. to start.

I am maybe thinking about doing the sag resistor mod and new transformers and if so possibly seeing about modding it for el34's.

what do you all think about this?

That's a lot of money to be sinking into that amp.

The choke might make a bit of a difference in tonal character. Putting more expensive transformers might make the amp sound a bit more like it does at lower volumes as it does at higher volumes, but the difference won't be big imo.

I would love to see you make it run EL34's though.
Quote by Axelfox
Congrats! That'd be a fun experiment!

I think the cab would be the first thing to change. I'd probably mod the gain channel for more gain and maybe if there's an eq mod get rid of some of that flab on the eq (I just felt it was really washy eq, not sure how to describe).
I wouldn't go for tranny change at this point unless you find a really cheap hi end tranny used or something. EL34 change might be interesting to hear. Also if you can somehow add a bit of crispness to the gain channel, it would be a good idea (eq mod, gain stage mod?).
Quote by monwobobbo
Boring c'mon now. once you delve into what the VK has to offer you'll be singing a different tune. they are better than most people give them credit for. as long as you don't have stupid expectations they are surprisingly good.

I expect that by this time next month you'll have modded it into the perfect tone machine so get to work

they are alright stock. i will be delving into its journey of awesomeness soon.

a month sounds like a good time frame. lol.

they are good amps overall, they do get a bad rap though for some reason. I think it is because a lot of people think that they are a budget 6505 in a way. maybe people are expecting that since they are peavey and that peavey is known for high gain type stuff and they are going to be instant br00tz. that is not what VK's are made for. they are more 'classic rock' geared stuff IMO.

having said that, without the dummy jack, and jumper, better tubes, and speaker they are slightly handicapped out of the box. but that little bit of stuff goes a long way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's a lot of money to be sinking into that amp.

The choke might make a bit of a difference in tonal character. Putting more expensive transformers might make the amp sound a bit more like it does at lower volumes as it does at higher volumes, but the difference won't be big imo.

I would love to see you make it run EL34's though.

in a way it is a bit of money to dump in, (if i do go the transformer route for sure), but the main purpose for this amp for me is to learn.

the 'jcm' mods are a for sure thing, and I will experiment a little beyond that with the tone stack. the choke is also a for sure thing.

regarding the other stuff, the bias stuff is also a must.

to be completely honest i don't really know what i have to do to get EL34's in there.

i will be doing a lot of learning that is for sure.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

If you want to learn something, do the preamp mods. Replacing the transformer is just a matter of taking the old one out and putting the new one in, you can't really learn anything from doing it.

Though the choke will be educational.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by diabolical
Congrats! That'd be a fun experiment!

I think the cab would be the first thing to change. I'd probably mod the gain channel for more gain and maybe if there's an eq mod get rid of some of that flab on the eq (I just felt it was really washy eq, not sure how to describe).
I wouldn't go for tranny change at this point unless you find a really cheap hi end tranny used or something. EL34 change might be interesting to hear. Also if you can somehow add a bit of crispness to the gain channel, it would be a good idea (eq mod, gain stage mod?).

the 'jcm' mod on the wiki alters the gain stages and tonestack a bit. I am going to start there.

as for the cab, the 1x12" will stay 'as is' other than a new speaker (i have a few extra speakers lying around somewhere) . I have decided i am going to turn it into a head, also. if the mods turn out as good as i think they will, i am going to make it easy to swap the chassis from the head cab to the combo so it will get used both ways for flexibility.

again with the transformers, I am not sure, I
honestly haven't looked into that much as far as the specifics of models and prices goes.

I am hoping that it will be cool with EL34's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you want to learn something, do the preamp mods. Replacing the transformer is just a matter of taking the old one out and putting the new one in, you can't really learn anything from doing it.

Though the choke will be educational.

you make a good point.

the preamp is my main concern, and I will do a hell of a lot of learning. the choke should be pretty cool though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
they are alright stock. i will be delving into its journey of awesomeness soon.

a month sounds like a good time frame. lol.

they are good amps overall, they do get a bad rap though for some reason. I think it is because a lot of people think that they are a budget 6505 in a way. maybe people are expecting that since they are peavey and that peavey is known for high gain type stuff and they are going to be instant br00tz. that is not what VK's are made for. they are more 'classic rock' geared stuff IMO.

having said that, without the dummy jack, and jumper, better tubes, and speaker they are slightly handicapped out of the box. but that little bit of stuff goes a long way.

I think that Peavey kinda shoots themselves in the foot with the way the advertise the VK. they do imply that you will get molten metal tones and that just isn't the case. 70s-early 80s metal sure but once you start hitting thrash and beyond it really doesn't so those well. it is a jack of all trades amp but not a master of any. I do find that it does really well for clean stuff and blues rock. I also get some decent 70s metal tones out of it especialy with a tubescreamer in front. never expected it to be a tone of the gods amp and its not but it does a good job none the less
Quote by monwobobbo
I think that Peavey kinda shoots themselves in the foot with the way the advertise the VK. they do imply that you will get molten metal tones and that just isn't the case. 70s-early 80s metal sure but once you start hitting thrash and beyond it really doesn't so those well. it is a jack of all trades amp but not a master of any. I do find that it does really well for clean stuff and blues rock. I also get some decent 70s metal tones out of it especialy with a tubescreamer in front. never expected it to be a tone of the gods amp and its not but it does a good job none the less

+1 definitely not a molten metal machine. i also think they could market it better.

the cleans are pretty nice actually IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

very cool! congrats, i've long been a fan of the VK.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by gregs1020
very cool! congrats, i've long been a fan of the VK.

I must say that I do have a soft spot in my heart, being that back in the day the VK100 was my first tube amp.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I don't think people expect metal amps, I think maybe kids pick them up as cheap alternative to solid state modeling and are surprised it doesn't cone with already produced sounds like on the latest Animals as Leaders CD
I almost bought as replacement touring amp but the Windsor was $200 less and I just needed a power amp to run my preamp into. Funny story but the Windsor failed more than my full-time touring rig which was Peavey USA Classic 50/50 poweramp.
Last edited by diabolical at Oct 7, 2016,
congrats, looks like fun.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
Quote by monwobobbo

yeah it's a good while since i tried one but that was my feeling as well
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

311ZOSOVHJH Your face mod is best mod. Your VK had attitude!

And Trashed, you better do a before and after of your mods. I wanna hear it!

I'm considering getting an old VK for mods. They go cheap around here.
Quote by diabolical
I don't think people expect metal amps, I think maybe kids pick them up as cheap alternative to solid state modeling and are surprised it doesn't cone with already produced sounds like on the latest Animals as Leaders CD
I almost bought as replacement touring amp but the Windsor was $200 less and I just needed a power amp to run my preamp into. Funny story but the Windsor failed more than my full-time touring rig which was Peavey USA Classic 50/50 poweramp.

not sure the kids expect it to be like a modeling amp but you could be right. I do think that many come to forums like this hear "get a tube amp" and then expect any tube amp to have the magic tone they seek. as we all know it doesn't work that way. with the VK getting solid tones out of it takes some time and effort and of course you often have to mod it a bit to get the most out of it. Peavey's adds do make claims that the amp isn't really able to deliver. still a good beginner amp and a solid backup for playing out. mine hasn't failed me yet
DEMO HERE

how the fuck do i embed these links?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 14, 2016,
new demo video ^ with cleans
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by diabolical
Sounds good to me, a nice amt of tube grit.

Btw, why jumper the effects loop? It's leaking signal somehow by design?

thanks. the OD plays a huge role in the amp, i swapped the preamp tubes around too.

as far as why to jumper the effects loop, i don't know why, i heard people doing it and liking it and i tried it and it made a difference.

also sticking a dummy jack in the first input and plugging into the second really wakes it up (i am assuming they are bridged).

as i mod it i will put up more clips. i haven't ordered the parts i need yet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I think converting this into a head would look awesome and you should certainly do it after all of these mods.

Speaking from experience though, Tolexing can be tricky. On my 6505, I found the most difficult part to be stretching the vinyl to conform tightly to the contours of the cutouts on the top of the case which make it easier to access the controls. It's certainly doable, but fiddly. It's helpful to see how the Tolex of the case was cut to get it to fit around those contours and copying the geometry of those cuts. It helps to have an extra pair of hands so that one stretches the vinyl tightly while the other person wields a stapler. But when it does work, it looks totally slick.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I think converting this into a head would look awesome and you should certainly do it after all of these mods.

Speaking from experience though, Tolexing can be tricky. On my 6505, I found the most difficult part to be stretching the vinyl to conform tightly to the contours of the cutouts on the top of the case which make it easier to access the controls. It's certainly doable, but fiddly. It's helpful to see how the Tolex of the case was cut to get it to fit around those contours and copying the geometry of those cuts. It helps to have an extra pair of hands so that one stretches the vinyl tightly while the other person wields a stapler. But when it does work, it looks totally slick.

i don't get along with tolex.

it would probably get line-x'd if i went that route.

normally, i just use some nice birch and stain and lacquer the cabinets i build. doesn't look amazing, but it works.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Sounds pretty cool Thrash!

You should get an E906 or an E609 if you're gonna drape your mic over your amp though!
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 2