What are the differences of these 2 (tonally I mean). I have my first mini on the way (Dimarzio DP240) for my tele neck but I really want to know the differences to decide if I want to try a more Firebird style mini too.

Thanks
Too broad a question. Lots of different miniHBs out there, not just two.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
So to reform the question... What are the qualities a mini should have to be characterized as Firebird.
A poster on another board summed up his experience:

The Firebird is very bright with lots of spank. It really is like a hum-cancelling single coil. The mini-hum is smoother than a firebird and has more clarity than a full size hum. I find that it covers a bit more ground as a result where as the Firebird covers less tonal ground but does it very well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Too broad a question. Lots of different miniHBs out there, not just two.

true but the firebird is generally considered to be one style of minihumbucker and the "regular" minihumbucker another (like strat or tele pickups being types of single coil). so I think it's fair enough to generalise like that.

i haven't tried enough to know the exact tonal differences, though. But i know they're made differently.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by eglaost
So to reform the question... What are the qualities a mini should have to be characterized as Firebird.

Dave_Mc is correct: There are actually about five different Gibson-originated mini humbuckers, each with a different magnet setup.

The Firebird pickup uses a pair of long 'rail' magnets whereas the Les Paul Deluxe mini-humbucker uses a single bar magnet below one ferrous rail and six threaded ferrous pole pieces. The Les Paul Deluxe mini-humbucker has adjustment screws for the pole pieces; the Firebird mini-humbucker does not.

There are also the Johnny Smith pickups, the cheapass SGJ things and one other I can't think of at the moment. All have different magnet types and setups.

Premier Guitar covers the first three mentioned (minihumbucker, Firebird and Johnny Smith pickup) in an article by Jason Lollar: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Humbuckers_and_Mini_Humbuckers It also covers some of the tonal variations you should expect.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 6, 2016,
dspellman good article.

alhaq369
Dave_Mc no doubt you're probably right- I came to know about miniHBs in a very roundabout way. I knew about Firebirds & theirs from very early on...but the next ones I encountered were RevTrons, which are based on FillerTrons. And the only others i have hands-on experience with are Wilkinsons in my Fret King Ventura.

And I didn't even know there were any others besides Firebirds & RevTrons until someone asked about whether miniHBs & P90s were the same size, and I started looking around.

alhaq369
^ i've tried very few indeed. off the top of my head the only ones i can remember trying were in a non-MIJ tokai firebird copy, and i have no idea how accurate those pickups are in terms of construction considering it was a fairly cheap model and yeah i think i've read that p90s and minihums should be the same size.

Quote by dspellman
Dave_Mc is correct: There are actually about five different Gibson-originated mini humbuckers, each with a different magnet setup.

The Firebird pickup uses a pair of long 'rail' magnets whereas the Les Paul Deluxe mini-humbucker uses a single bar magnet below one ferrous rail and six threaded ferrous pole pieces. The Les Paul Deluxe mini-humbucker has adjustment screws for the pole pieces; the Firebird mini-humbucker does not.

There are also the Johnny Smith pickups, the cheapass SGJ things and one other I can't think of at the moment. All have different magnet types and setups.

Premier Guitar covers the first three mentioned (minihumbucker, Firebird and Johnny Smith pickup) in an article by Jason Lollar: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Humbuckers_and_Mini_Humbuckers It also covers some of the tonal variations you should expect.

oh wow i didn't realise there were as many as that when you say the SGJ, do you mean the current sg special? local shop has one but i keep chickening out of trying it from the sounds of it it sounds quite similar to the firebird one (the rails type one), which is kind of ironic since i know that a lot of people aren't too fussed on the current firebird pickups 'cos it's ceramic (and that new joe bonamassa sig epiphone actually seems to have a fairly vintage-accurate firebird pickup).

i've hardly tried any of them, as i said above, but yeah the firebird and "regular" minihumbucker on the LP deluxe are made the way you said, as far as i'm aware.

i'll check the article too, sounds like a nice one.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i've tried very few indeed. off the top of my head the only ones i can remember trying were in a non-MIJ tokai firebird copy, and i have no idea how accurate those pickups are in terms of construction considering it was a fairly cheap model and yeah i think i've read that p90s and minihums should be the same size.

oh wow i didn't realise there were as many as that when you say the SGJ, do you mean the current sg special? local shop has one but i keep chickening out of trying it from the sounds of it it sounds quite similar to the firebird one (the rails type one), which is kind of ironic since i know that a lot of people aren't too fussed on the current firebird pickups 'cos it's ceramic (and that new joe bonamassa sig epiphone actually seems to have a fairly vintage-accurate firebird pickup).

i've hardly tried any of them, as i said above, but yeah the firebird and "regular" minihumbucker on the LP deluxe are made the way you said, as far as i'm aware.

i'll check the article too, sounds like a nice one.

The SGJ and the SG Junior are 2 different models.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah that's what i thought. I didn't remember the SGJ having minihums but I may well be misremembering.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman