Hey guys,
I just bought Schaller Strap locks because my guitar almost fell to the ground while I was practicing.
I have an Ibanez RG421.
The strap lock next to the neck is perfectly tight but the one at the bottom of the guitar, can't get tight enough to hold my guitar.
At some point it did continue to move but didn't get any deeper while it was impossible to move the upper strap lock without lots of force.
I tried playing then and again, the guitar almost fell down because the strap lock got detached. I was prepared and catched the guitar quickly. A bit of wood shaving (if that's the right word), left the hole for the strap lock though..
Now, I attached the old strap holder again and I'm kinda scared. Until now, it didn't fell off but I can't get it as tight as the upper strap lock is right now.. Then again, I don't even know if it was that tight before.
I don't trust it anymore though...
Should I try to fill the hole with something to make the strap lock work or just bring it back and keep an eye on my original strap holder...?
At the moment, I'm planning to bring the guitar with the strap locks to the place where I bought the strap locks. If they do something to make it work without charging, that's cool.(I doubt that though)
If they want to charge money for that, I'll probably return the strap locks and then play while I'm sitting until I figure something out.. But a lot of people here are more experienced than me, so your suggestions may be a huge help. x.x
Thanks in Advance!
Last edited by juvion at Oct 6, 2016,
juvion Was it the strap button that was loose? If so, you can put a toothpick in the screw hole, cut it to the right depth, then put the button on

If it was the lock itself, locktite and pliers will attach it to the strap really well
Quote by Liaztraht
juvion Was it the strap button that was loose? If so, you can put a toothpick in the screw hole, cut it to the right depth, then put the button on

If it was the lock itself, locktite and pliers will attach it to the strap really well

+1 its standard operating procedure to stick a tooth pick with wood glue on it and insert into the hole, let dry, use the new screw.

i also use locktite on the straps. its handy for a lot of things.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
One one of my guitars i got to the point where even toothpics were not enough anymore, so i drilled the hole and then glued and hammered in a wooden dowel. Worked great, and its still holding after a few years.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Will those suggestions even help if the screw for the strap lock button is a bit thinner than the one that has been on my guitar previously? I don't really get why the upper strap lock works and it scares me to put glue into the hole. :/
(Yeah it was the strap button that was loose)
Last edited by juvion at Oct 7, 2016,
don't be worried about glue, it won't stop a screw from being able to go in our out, you need to fill up the hole with some wood especially if the screw for your strap lock is smaller than the previous screw. You might want to put a few toothpicks in to make sure to snug things up.

Last edited by guitarsngear at Oct 7, 2016,
Quote by juvion
Will those suggestions even help if the screw for the strap lock button is a bit thinner than the one that has been on my guitar previously? I don't really get why the upper strap lock works and it scares me to put glue into the hole. :/
(Yeah it was the strap button that was loose)
Yes. It's actually very common for the screw to be too thin. Pack up the hole with toothpick/matchsticks and PVA glue and you'll be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for your help! My father took a toothstick(not a round one) and put it in the hole together with the screw (to make the screw "thicker").
Now it is very tight and the strap button doesn't move at all.
My strap is too thick for the strap lock though.. It's a leather strap.
To be honest, it annoys me anyways because the furry part of the strap leaves hair on my shirt. <.<
Does anyone know a reliable strap that fits in to the strap locks without problems ?
It would be a bonus if it has a cool look but reliability is more important.
Or would a Standard Fender/Epiphone whatever strap already do it's job without being uncomfortable ?
All of my straps are leather and I have never had a problem with Schaller straplocks. Use a spanner on the nut and a shifter on the clip. You can lean on them pretty hard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If the wood where straplok screw is loose.. you can use toothpick method (need more than 1).. I use Elmer's Wood Glue Max (Option: add some saw dust or wood shavings) fill in the strap button hole, and let it set for 3days.. the color becomes semi translucent brown and is harder than the actual wood.. as long as you pack the glue in tightly.. this will last longer than the other strap button screw hole.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
If the wood where straplok screw is loose.. you can use toothpick method (need more than 1).. I use Elmer's Wood Glue Max (Option: add some saw dust or wood shavings) fill in the strap button hole, and let it set for 3days.. the color becomes semi translucent brown and is harder than the actual wood.. as long as you pack the glue in tightly.. this will last longer than the other strap button screw hole.

This is also my method as opposed to something like wood putty.
Mix up the sawdust with some wood glue (I prefer Titebond myself, I've had better luck with that brand than Elmers or Gorilla wood glue. YMMV) until it is the consistency of peanut butter.
Then I usually use a toothpick to create a small hole (smaller than the screw).
Just fill the hole with something some kind of filler like the guys ^ suggested. It should be fine. In the past I've used wood glue and toothpicks or match sticks, sawdust, all works well. You could also return this and get the the system with the fatter screws that will fit in without the need for wood putty, etc. I think the Dimarzio ones were fatter, but jut check the radius on the screws in specs or write to them.

This reminds me of a video with Zakk Wylde where he was showing how to brutalize a gorgeous Les Paul signature to install his strap locking system which was a huge metal hook
This pic is the closest I could find but you can see it well
^IIRC this what Van Halen is/was using as well.

As long time Schaller straplock user I also recommend Grolsch cap washers (or whatever you call those rubber things that're under the cap ), I've been using them ever since a over 10 year old Schaller straplock decided to die on me mid-tour, during the end of soundcheck right before a show, which was about a year ago. The sound guy recommended it and I have to say that to my surprise it still holds like a mofo.
What died on the straplock?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What died on the straplock?

He's replacing from regular strap to strap lock and the woodscrew is smaller than the previous one, in other words the hole left by the previous screw is bigger and the new one is loose.
I was asking tsc86 actually, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes. It's actually very common for the screw to be too thin. Pack up the hole with toothpick/matchsticks and PVA glue and you'll be fine.

Or drill out the strap lock hole a little and use the original screw like I did.