Hello UG,

I have some questions regarding effects to be used with a solid state head.

I have a Laney LX120 RH solid state head (which I'm very proud of, please don't tell me to get a tube amp because I don't have the money for that ) and I play through an Ibanez SA08 with EMG81 and 85. I would like to get some pedals like Distortion, Delay, Chorus, Gate and maybe at some point a wah pedal but it's not a priority now.

I really like the tone the amp has so I'm planning on using the distortion channel on it so I don't want a distortion pedal to be used with the clean channel and completely change the amp tone; I just want to "shape" the already existing tone. One thing to mention is that I don't get that sensitivity you need for playing fast leads just through the amp so I'll just need a distortion pedal who can give me that "boost" but without changing the amp tone too much.
As for the delay, chorus and gate, I don't have any "special" needs.

Mostly, I would like to know what pedals you guys used with solid state heads and sounded/felt good especially if you tried them with active pickups.

My style is mostly thrash but I would also like to be able to play some gilmourish stuff (for that I think I would also need a compressor right ? )

Thank you in advance.
There's a lot of pedals that Gilmour has used, and the key is usually subtlety & moderation. He rarely seems to max out the settings on any given piece of gear.

On pedals you might want to consider for Gilmour's tone, look at older pedals like the Boss RT-20 (to simulate his use of Leslie cabinets), and newer ones like the Keeley Dark Side of the Moon or the McCaffery Run Rabbit Run- each covers a lot of his effects chain in a single enclosure. Something like a .Catalinbread Belle Epoch or Echoplex would be good options, too.

I'm not to sure about the interaction of SS amps and dirt pedals- someone else will surely jump in.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might want to consider a Compressor-Sustainer pedal to give you that extra "boost" instead of a distortion pedal if you already like your amp's distortion tone. And yeah the compression will work nicely for that clean Gilmore tone too. But coupled with distortion, the sustainer can also get you screamin'.
Last edited by Sayonara6String at Oct 6, 2016,
IMO, overdrive and distortions pedals can be somewhat hit and miss. I would suggest an EQ pedal, like an MXR 10 band EQ, that should help you dialin the gain from your amp, which can also be a boost and add some gain. You may want a noise gate as adding pedals to a ss amp can be noisy. I like the Boss NS-2.

As for the delay And chorus, I like the TC Electronics flashback and I use their mini chorus as well.
Last edited by MAChiefs at Oct 6, 2016,
Quote by MAChiefs
IMO, overdrive and distortions pedals can be somewhat hit and miss. I would suggest an EQ pedal, like an MXR 10 band EQ, that should help you dialin the gain from your amp, which can also be a boost and add some gain. You may want a noise gate as adding pedals to a ss amp can be noisy.

agree the MXR 10 band eq would give you a bit of a boost and can be used to shape a great lead tone. yes it would change the amps sound but your lead and rhythm tones should vary some so they stand out in a band mix. you might want to try a clean boost if you don't want to alter the amps tone. not sure how well that or an overdrive will work with your amp as some don't take them well (although diabolical seems to think your amp can and he usually knows about that so I think you may be good)