So I've recently become in the market for a new amp. I'm looking in the 300 dollar and below price range. I've found quite a few amps that come close to fitting the bill, but none quite there, so I was hoping I can get some help here. First, I drive truck, so I'm looking for something not to big that I can easily carry around with me. As for set up, id like something that can handle plenty of distortion, but also sound good clean. I'm also pretty partial to finding something with a basic chorus, and delay setting, as I don't feel like forking out cash on expensive pedals, when my main amp is set up with all that and a footswitch. Any help would be appreciated, and if you need anymore details let me know.
Any exact sounds you are trying to attain? Jet City and Valveking models (used) are often suggested in your price range and use. Chorus, reverb, and delay can be found in pedal form for fairly cheap so I would not worry about having those included in the amp.
Varies from skynyrd style classic rock straight down to metal tuned in a drop a and sometimes a step lower even if using my 7Will Lane
I will check them out though and see what I find.... it's tough on a budget, just thankfully I use few effects
Yamaha THR series amp, small/portable, good clean to heavey distortion settings, built-in effects, and should be right in your budget.
My first picks would be Tech21 TM30 or TM60 if you want solid state, Ashdown Fallen Angel (see below) if you want tube and digital effects.
The Ashdown Fallen Angel http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ashdown/Fallen-Angel-60-DSP-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc is a great one if you want digital effects, 2 channel tube goodness, two independent master volumes (for lead boost), gain boost on the dirty channel, all footswitchable. I did a small mod (taking a transistor out of the chain) to mine that turned the gain channel eq into more of a Marshall thing. PM me if you get that amp, I'd be happy to share.

guitarsngear and Will Lane pretty much covered the usual suspects. The THR comes in different varieties so look at the one you want for your style (I think there is classic and metal version of the THR amps):
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup

I'd add for you to check out these: Traynor YCV50B, Marshall DSL40C, Laney VC30 as they might be in your price range used.
Vox VT series, Roland Cube, Fender Mustang and Peavey Vypur might also be worth checking out but they're definitely a bit more subpar from my other recommendations but might be your ticket as they bundle modeling in one package. If I pick from these, I'd probably go Vox.
diabolical interestingly enough I have a vox vt blue series from right before korg took therm over.... forget the exact model name but it's the one with 120 watt head with effects, footswitch, and the 4, 8, or 16 ohm settings, along with the matching 2×12 option....i discovered I loved that amp, but have to really be careful when i plug the atx c7 in.... gets to be a bit much for the style off amp
Also, have a vypyr sitting at home.... sound stopped coming through.... everything is functional otherwise, so I'm thinking probably clean out the headphone jack
Peavy vypyr tube 60
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
Quote by kramer242
diabolical interestingly enough I have a vox vt blue series from right before korg took therm over.... forget the exact model name but it's the one with 120 watt head with effects, footswitch, and the 4, 8, or 16 ohm settings, along with the matching 2×12 option....i discovered I loved that amp, but have to really be careful when i plug the atx c7 in.... gets to be a bit much for the style off amp

That is actually the best amp modeler that they've made. It had two actual tubes at the input and output of the preamp which actually were running at plate voltage and made a huge difference in the sound. The switching has a little hiccup but yeah, that's one of the better ones.

So it couldn't handle the lows? I think a friend put a BBE Green pedal (tubescreamer knockoff) in the front of it and worked rather well with his Schecter 7 string.
Fender Super Champ X2. A little over your budget but can easily be found under it used. Has built in Chorus and Delay (though you can't use both at the same time unless you use the Fuse Software)
Quote by kramer242
Also, have a vypyr sitting at home.... sound stopped coming through.... everything is functional otherwise, so I'm thinking probably clean out the headphone jack
Get some contact cleaner (CAIG Deoxit D5) and a matching input plug for the jack and try it out. It sounds more like an internal fuse has blown, though.
Quote by kramer242
If I am thinking of the same model, I did a bit of work on one of those (internal fuse was blown, surprisingly enough) and yeah they are pretty solid. It seemed to need a lot of volume to sound reasonable, though. And it also seems like modelers often have internal fuse issues but that is just from my experience. But if you have one of those I would say your modeling needs are fulfilled, and you should look into more professional, focused amps.

Also keep in mind that general guitar speakers are not voiced to accurately reproduce the low frequencies a 7 string sends. General response curves have the bass tailing off around 100-80hz, low E is 82hz. Even a 4x12 of Vintage 30's will not put out much more bass, if any at all, than a V30 1x12. That area of frequencies is taken up by the bass guitar and kick drum.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 7, 2016,
Quote by kramer242

VT Blue Series? I have the 60, you have the 120 head? Nice do you like yours?
I was dropped into a g flat running a Dunlop Fullbore metal pedal through it on the 4ohm setting.... it cut out some lol.... other than that I've only been able to use it a few times, so haven't really felt it out..... everything seems beautiful on it. Got it in perfect condition from a guy for 400
Quote by kramer242
I was dropped into a g flat running a Dunlop Fullbore metal pedal through it on the 4ohm setting.... it cut out some lol.... other than that I've only been able to use it a few times, so haven't really felt it out..... everything seems beautiful on it. Got it in perfect condition from a guy for 400
That is probably the issue. Slamming the input of a modeling amp with a pedal like that will often not give the same possibly desirable results as would a focused, fully tube amp taking the same pedal. Try just the guitar and amp, and use the amp for all your gain/distortion.

Also, you are using the ohm settings to match your cab, right? You just don't pick and choose ohms as a tonal adjustment.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 8, 2016,
Will Lane yeah the ohm set up is lined up...mono plugs for 4 and 16 ohm and stereo/ dual plug set up for 8, if I remember.... sadly damn near a year since i played.... trying to fix that..... the vypyr may or may not be a fuse....i know one day I used out and it worked fine, few months of sitting and the amp fires fine nut only sound through headphones... checked all the wires and speakers to make sure they were fine because of kids around, and everything was in order....i just figured a connection because last amp I had a fuse let go in wouldn't even turn on