I gave my guitar to set up the action at Guitar center.The action was okay a bit of buzz at one string,but I thought a pro could improve it.The tech who was an old well known musician around the area told me that guitar needed fretwork and other things since he said that there is consistent fret wear( The guitar is a two year old PRS Se).He said that he is not sure but he will try his best.I paid $60 and when i played after the "PR00 SETUPS" it was buzzing 3 out of 6 strings and the action was too high at the 12 th fret.When I told him he quickly took the regular truss rod wrench and turned it and gave it to me, and asked if there was any buzz, like I didn't know how to lower the action using a cheap wrench.I didn't know what to tell him so i said OK and went home.I was so unhappy, so I sat the next two days watching videis and tutorials and I managed to do it, no buzz low action as i wanted.

So If anybody is planning to give it for PR000 setup at GC be redy to waste your money, cos all they do is just turn the truss rod, i mean HOW THE HELL CAN HE JUST GIVE THE GUITAR WITH BUZZING at 3 STRINGS AND CALL IT A PRO SETUP.
I was stupid as i thought that he was old ,wise and could have good experience in doing setups.I really suspect that he spent more than 5 minutes on the guitar or he is completely retarded and knows nothing about setups and such.My old guitar teacher had a cheap acoustic with a broken headstock which he gave us to practice.It was fixed with ropes and glue and still had great playability and action.

tldr;
GC can't do setups,atleast the one I went.
Should have read some of the threds here before taking the plunge,Could've bought a nice used pedal.
I will never give my guitar to setup GC even if they do it for free.
Quote by Wmheadbanger
I gave my guitar to set up the action at Guitar center.The action was okay a bit of buzz at one string,but I thought a pro could improve it.The tech who was an old well known musician around the area told me that guitar needed fretwork and other things since he said that there is consistent fret wear( The guitar is a two year old PRS Se).He said that he is not sure but he will try his best.I paid $60 and when i played after the "PR00 SETUPS" it was buzzing 3 out of 6 strings and the action was too high at the 12 th fret.When I told him he quickly took the regular truss rod wrench and turned it and gave it to me, and asked if there was any buzz, like I didn't know how to lower the action using a cheap wrench.I didn't know what to tell him so i said OK and went home.I was so unhappy, so I sat the next two days watching videis and tutorials and I managed to do it, no buzz low action as i wanted.

So If anybody is planning to give it for PR000 setup at GC be redy to waste your money, cos all they do is just turn the truss rod, i mean HOW THE HELL CAN HE JUST GIVE THE GUITAR WITH BUZZING at 3 STRINGS AND CALL IT A PRO SETUP.
I was stupid as i thought that he was old ,wise and could have good experience in doing setups.I really suspect that he spent more than 5 minutes on the guitar or he is completely retarded and knows nothing about setups and such.My old guitar teacher had a cheap acoustic with a broken headstock which he gave us to practice.It was fixed with ropes and glue and still had great playability and action.

tldr;
GC can't do setups,atleast the one I went.
Should have read some of the threds here before taking the plunge,Could've bought a nice used pedal.
I will never give my guitar to setup GC even if they do it for free.

You don't lower the action with truss rod adjustments.

Good on you for trying it yourself and fixing your guitar though.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Learn to do your own set-ups and save money! Then you can set things up how you specifically want. I typically don't trust GC to do set ups or really anything. I have had a couple of local mom and pop store techs do a set up when I don't have the time and they did a great job.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
My experience with GC is the majority of people who work at GC are entry level musicians or kids who need a job that know little to nothing. Never would I take my gear to them.

have a real pro with tons of reviews set it up. you get what you pay for.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
If you're a pro luthier why would you be working for an hourly wage at Guitar Center? That's the question people should be asking before they take their precious babies there.
Guitar Center and some of the other chain stores around the Houston, TX area send these kids to "luthier courses" or they pass one online to get a certificate, then they are unleashed on the general public.
For some of the more complex things they subcontract with local established luthiers and they just go ahead and double their prices, the local pro that they were using at our store was charging exactly 50% less than Guitar Center, who were sending the work to HIM. Yes, that's right! You also had to wait two weeks extra as the pro picked up the guitars from GC and brought them back weekly.
OP - sorry that you learned your lesson the hard way but we pretty much all did Try to find a respectable local luthier or DYI. I ended up going the DYI route many years ago after getting a botched up setup and a bother up pickup installation and going countless hours back and forth dealing with a local tech. I try to help local musicians by showing them a few of the tricks when I can, especially the soldering part which seems to scare quite a few
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't lower the action with truss rod adjustments.

Good on you for trying it yourself and fixing your guitar though.

Thanks Bro, my understanding is that it makes the fretboard straight if its bowed.
Quote by Wmheadbanger
Thanks Bro, my understanding is that it makes the fretboard straight if its bowed.

I'm no pro here, but the truss rod only adjusts the neck. The action height is set by adjusting the bridge and the bone nut.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
I have used Guitar Center's repair shop exactly once: I'd ordered a used Jaguar bass from another store shipped to the one near me, and once I got it there was no output. If you're advertising "Used--Great Condition" and it's completely nonfunctional when I get it, I expect you to make it right, yeah? So long story short, for four MONTHS the tech is telling me all this stuff he's doing, and how he's trying to figure out the problem but it's something weird and he's got a huge backlog from the holidays. And then one day I go in, don't see the tech, and ask someone else. He winces and tells me the tech got fired because he'd been not doing any work and lying about it to everyone, there were people who'd been waiting a solid month on a STRING CHANGE, and they were trying to find a new tech and in the meantime shipping some jobs to other stores to get done quickly. A month after that, I come in and ask the new tech and he says he didn't know there were any still left from that long before--the guy who got fired never even checked mine in. So he went to the back and physically searched, and found it, and then once he got it on the counter he found a loose wire and soldered it back into place and that was all it took. I will never, ever use their services again, and I will advise anyone who asks me not to either. Good on you for fixing it, sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way.

(I've taught myself to solder and if the same thing happened again I could fix it myself with no problem; I wish I'd done that before. Although, since I didn't know the tech was a lazy git who'd do nothing and lie about it for half a year, I'd probably have done the same thing anyway just on principle; if you sell me something that's supposed to be like new and it doesn't work, it shouldn't be my job to find out what's wrong and fix it, you're supposed to fix it yourself and not charge for it. That's just part of running a business; if your stuff isn't in the condition you say it is, you repair or replace.)
Quote by diabolical
Guitar Center and some of the other chain stores around the Houston, TX area send these kids to "luthier courses" or they pass one online to get a certificate, then they are unleashed on the general public.
For some of the more complex things they subcontract with local established luthiers and they just go ahead and double their prices, the local pro that they were using at our store was charging exactly 50% less than Guitar Center, who were sending the work to HIM. Yes, that's right! You also had to wait two weeks extra as the pro picked up the guitars from GC and brought them back weekly.
OP - sorry that you learned your lesson the hard way but we pretty much all did Try to find a respectable local luthier or DYI. I ended up going the DYI route many years ago after getting a botched up setup and a bother up pickup installation and going countless hours back and forth dealing with a local tech. I try to help local musicians by showing them a few of the tricks when I can, especially the soldering part which seems to scare quite a few

found that out talking to the local GC setup guy. occasionally they do get someone that knows what they are doing but that's an exception. considering they charge $10 to restring a guitar that tells you all you need to know. I've showed a couple of kids how to do that themselves sitting there when the tech wasn't there. I wouldn't trust them with a Wal-Mart special let alone any f my good guitars.
take it is a lesson. it cost you $60. you have gotten lucky in comparison to some other people i have seen posted on here in the last five or so years.

the GOOD thing is that you learned how to do it yourself so you won't make that mistake again. and now you won't need to take it to a 'pro'.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Guess I've been lucky. The few times I needed to use a GC tech have all been positive.

(My regular techs are elsewhere.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Guess I've been lucky. The few times I needed to use a GC tech have all been positive.

(My regular techs are elsewhere.)

i have never taken anything to a tech. but one of my gibsons needs a refret. and i am not going to do it myself... lol.

there is a tech that some people i know take their stuff to, i gues i will have to ask them when the time comes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/