after getting a call to arms I've decided to declare for being a MOD. no crazy promises, many of you here know me and I'm a no nonsense guy (well maybe a little nonsense cuz ya know I get bored) . any ?s feel free to ask.
what is you're stance on the tone wood debate?

haha not really serious. maybe?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25) NEW**
2017-03-18 - 2017-03-18 Time to Get De-laid... (Saturday 2017-03-18)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is you're stance on the tone wood debate?

haha not really serious. maybe?

well my stance on that is that it matters if it matters to the player. we all know that when it comes to electric guitar that there really is little proof one way or the other that "tone wood" is a factor. like many things we've been brought up to "believe" it matters but it seems to be more a matter of "faith" than anything.

I wouldn't stop a debate as a MOD as long as both sides play nice and it isn't a weekly thread. personally I think stuff like that makes for a fun debate but as we all know it gets out of hand fairly easily. I'm probably leaning the same way for the "tone is in the fingers" thing as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25) NEW**
2017-03-18 - 2017-03-18 Time to Get De-laid... (Saturday 2017-03-18)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^^ yeah those are pretty much my thoughts. too. the only people who could easily do a blind test (manufacturers) kind of have a vested interest not to do that test.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ yeah those are pretty much my thoughts. too. the only people who could easily do a blind test (manufacturers) kind of have a vested interest not to do that test.

actually it would seem to me that they would have an interest as that makes for great advertising fodder. I'm sure they have though and found that myth is more fun than fact.

OK what's next ???? stance on why my $100 rig doesn't sound like a Guitar Hero, settings for Slash tone on an MG 15 I'm sure enquiring minds want to know
well it is if it proves there's a big difference. as you say, the fact they haven't advertised their tests...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
well it is if it proves there's a big difference. as you say, the fact they haven't advertised their tests...

so far I don't think that anyone can agree on a definitive test that would prove one way or the other. if a guitar maker did the test then I'm sure that they would be accused of being self serving.
Explain your username. Is it an onomatopoeia of what your vibrato technique sounds like?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Explain your username. Is it an onomatopoeia of what your vibrato technique sounds like?

yeah sure lets go with that

my user name has been my online name for pretty much everything since I've been on the net. as many here know my name is Bob, but the handle was a typo from many years back that I figured no one else would have so I've been using it for the last 18 years.
^ hahahaha

Quote by monwobobbo
so far I don't think that anyone can agree on a definitive test that would prove one way or the other. if a guitar maker did the test then I'm sure that they would be accused of being self serving.

yeah that's true.

I'm not sure you can do a blind test for, say, fretboard wood, but i reckon with a solid finish (and enough examples) you could do an effectively-blind test just by not telling the person playing the thing what wood is under the finish. that would be enough for me, i think.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 8, 2016,
this thread has porpoise.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 9, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
this thread has porpoise.

great as long as he can vote
ok a little campaigning. I'm not going to promise to make you a rock star but will be glad to help you get there with sound advice. I don't have a pile of fancy credentials just 35+ years of playing ( with a little band time and recording in there as well). I have a fair bit of patience with n00b ?s and try to be helpful and not make them feel like losers for not knowing. I would hope that many here have seen me in this section (and the electric guitar section) for many years now and know I give decent advice. if I don't know I stay out of it and let those who do know answer. as far as being fair as a MOD i'll do my best.

none of this a vote for me is a vote for the people (cuz it's not), no fancy graphics, no bullshit. just some common sense
You gonna win it.
I thought about tossing my hat into the ring for this one.

But for years, I was a server admin and channel Op for a few IRC channels (5 or 6 channels I think).
Up to 5000 users at a time to watch over (That's just for the channels, never mind the entire server).
As well as a technical support channel to run.
Of course, I was one of the resident script gurus.
I wrote scripts to automate almost everything.
But it was a fucking full time job pretty much doing all that.

So yeah, I've kind of had my fill of being in charge of a bunch of users/idiots.
Although I had fun doing it, it was to much work for me sometimes.

But I will say congrats to monwobobbo for winning, cause I know he will.